Cancelled Singles

Archive for quick access to detailed information about the band.
MikeyC

Re: Cancelled Singles

#76 Post by MikeyC »

I enjoy the "I'm With Stupid" video, however I think it would've been better if they 'spoofed' other PSB eras besides the "Very" era and its looks/videos. Always thought that.

ZiggyPSB

#77 Post by ZiggyPSB »

MikeyC wrote:I enjoy the "I'm With Stupid" video, however I think it would've been better if they 'spoofed' other PSB eras besides the "Very" era and its looks/videos. Always thought that.
There isn't much else to spoof. The only other era with a unique look is the blond hair and big ol' eyebrows of Nightlife.
I'm a proud sycophant because I like Wedding in Berlin
http://www.last.fm/user/FFancy24
Dublin 19/06/2011, Manchester 20/06/2013, Edinburgh 31/12/2013, London 23/07/2014, London 23/07/2016, London 02/04/2017

mole973102

#78 Post by mole973102 »

It Always Comes As A Surprise [Promoted in magazines after A Red Letter Days release for an August release date but cancelled due to not being able to come up with a suitable radio edit]
-Not too fussed about that one. It's better on the album.

Discoteca [Cancelled due to not being able to come up with a suitable radio edit]
-I got the New Version anyway. Not a great single choice.

Closer To Heaven [Would have been 4th single from Nightlife to support Musical]
-They released the slow version on a CD given away in the mail. Kind of happened.
A full version of the track slow would have been nice. I liked it.

London [UK release cancelled as EMI didn't want to be seen to be promoting violence in London - We were in London, Let's do it, Let's break the law]
-Nevermind. Got it from Germany. It is a bit pessimistic.

Pandamonium [The boys felt it was a strong candidate for single release EMI felt differently and released Did You See Me Coming? instead of All Over The World then Pandamonium].
-I am a bit disappointed they never released a good remix of this track to accompany one of the singles. It's a great song. Still think it's the Doctor and the Master. :)

The Sodom And Gommorah Show [The boys wanted it as a single but EMI wereput off by the title alone]
-The demo got released on iTunes. Wheeeeee!

Happiness Is An Option [Neil and Chris felt it was a suitable choice for lead single EMI disapproved]
-I actually like it where others don't. But it isn't a single. But I think of it as positive...
You gotta have fun!

mole973102

#79 Post by mole973102 »

MikeyC wrote:I enjoy the "I'm With Stupid" video, however I think it would've been better if they 'spoofed' other PSB eras besides the "Very" era and its looks/videos. Always thought that.
Lately the more recent videos are making 'A Red Letter Day' enjoyable.
You gotta have fun!

Radiophonic

#80 Post by Radiophonic »

mole973102 wrote:It Always Comes As A Surprise [Promoted in magazines after A Red Letter Days release for an August release date but cancelled due to not being able to come up with a suitable radio edit]
-Not too fussed about that one. It's better on the album.

Discoteca [Cancelled due to not being able to come up with a suitable radio edit]
-I got the New Version anyway. Not a great single choice.

Closer To Heaven [Would have been 4th single from Nightlife to support Musical]
-They released the slow version on a CD given away in the mail. Kind of happened.
A full version of the track slow would have been nice. I liked it.

London [UK release cancelled as EMI didn't want to be seen to be promoting violence in London - We were in London, Let's do it, Let's break the law]
-Nevermind. Got it from Germany. It is a bit pessimistic.

Pandamonium [The boys felt it was a strong candidate for single release EMI felt differently and released Did You See Me Coming? instead of All Over The World then Pandamonium].
-I am a bit disappointed they never released a good remix of this track to accompany one of the singles. It's a great song. Still think it's the Doctor and the Master. :)

The Sodom And Gommorah Show [The boys wanted it as a single but EMI wereput off by the title alone]
-The demo got released on iTunes. Wheeeeee!

Happiness Is An Option [Neil and Chris felt it was a suitable choice for lead single EMI disapproved]
-I actually like it where others don't. But it isn't a single. But I think of it as positive...
I'd have been happy with all those as singles. I've always felt sad that London was never released in the UK and always think of it as a 'single'. Happiness ... was a stand out track for me when I bought Nightlife.
"Enjoy it while it lasts ... "

Palpatine

#81 Post by Palpatine »

I think HIAO is dire.

Radiophonic

#82 Post by Radiophonic »

Palpatine wrote:I think HIAO is dire.
I think it's great.
"Enjoy it while it lasts ... "

grantwww

#83 Post by grantwww »

People may not count this but Paul Keating's version of "Positive Role Model" from the "Closer To Heaven" cast recording was scheduled to be released as a single but got cancelled when the musical closed earlier than expected. Two Almighty mixes were commissioned but never released. I seem to recall that one of the Almighty mixes was available on the official site for a short time along with the full length "My Night" (the cast recording album only had an edit of the song).

tottenhammattspurs

#84 Post by tottenhammattspurs »

Ive always loved the melody of My Night. A wasted melody as no-one really got to hear it outside the fanbase.

Regarding cancelled singles....with the new album two weeks away, surely if there were to be a second single before Elysium, we should have heard about it by now? If its to be a second single AFTER release then it'll make the dizzy heights of #86 seem like a success
is is and isnt isnt

BugBoy

#86 Post by BugBoy »

well thats a weird list of a mixture of genuine commercial mixes and fan mixes group together in a very bizarre fashion :?
I Like Release!

Palpatine

#87 Post by Palpatine »

Danimal wrote: Wed 15 Aug 2012, 4:35 pm I think so. There was to be three new songs on it, Positive role model, SEB, and a cover version of an old song produced by Peter Rauhoffer (don't remember which) but the cover didn't work with Neil's voice, then they decided to scrap the project because they felt they hadn't "earned" another hits compilation yet.
Kitsch by Barry Ryan.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DwXM-8hjwEc[/YouTube]

From Literally 25:

May 1 to 5.
Neil: We worked in New York with Peter Rauhofer and spent four-and-a-half days trying to do a version of this song "Kitsch" by Barry Ryan from the late Sixties.
Chris: But it wasn't going anywhere. Neil: We finally gave up.
Chris: It was rubbish. It was very, very chord-y.
Neil: It's not that complicated. It was just the wrong kind of chords. It just didn't seem to go anywhere.

telys

#88 Post by telys »

All of this comes into new light after the release of SMASH.
----
You've got me all wrong

telys

#89 Post by telys »

ZiggyPSB wrote: Tue 21 Aug 2012, 1:22 am
There isn't much else to spoof. The only other era with a unique look is the blond hair and big ol' eyebrows of Nightlife.
The video ruins the message in the lyrics.
----
You've got me all wrong