Cancelled Singles

Archive for quick access to detailed information about the band.
Lleonard Pler

Re: Cancelled Singles

#61 Post by Lleonard Pler »

It always comes as a surprise that It always comes as a surprise was considered as the lead single of "Bilingual". Much better than Before for sure... would have loved to see a video and remixes of it.

raggatwin

#62 Post by raggatwin »

Palpatine wrote:
raggatwin wrote:Were Abba really Disco?

There is a brilliant unreleased 'hardcore'ish version of Go West.
Is it the Mark Stent Allez a L'Ouest remix? If, so, you're absolutely right - it's *AMAZING*.

I think that's the one.....
Hello my name is Neil Tennant and I'm Chris Lowe and we're of the Pet Shop Boys.

Drico One

#63 Post by Drico One »

Minimal was due to be Fundamental's lead single - as indicated on the official site at the time - before a late change to I'm With Stupid. It may not be a canceled single, but it was certainly a postponed one.

Drico.
The pale kid that hides in the attic behind his PC...

AdamDowds

#64 Post by AdamDowds »

I think Minimal would've been the perfect lead single to Fundamental - it's a fantastic song.

Radiophonic

#65 Post by Radiophonic »

Drico One wrote:Minimal was due to be Fundamental's lead single - as indicated on the official site at the time - before a late change to I'm With Stupid. It may not be a canceled single, but it was certainly a postponed one.

Drico.
I loved Minimal and hated I'm with Stupid. I think they only went with the latter because they could get Little Britain on the video and they though they were funny. They weren't.
"Enjoy it while it lasts ... "

Palpatine

#66 Post by Palpatine »

Radiophonic wrote:
Drico One wrote:Minimal was due to be Fundamental's lead single - as indicated on the official site at the time - before a late change to I'm With Stupid. It may not be a canceled single, but it was certainly a postponed one.

Drico.
I loved Minimal and hated I'm with Stupid. I think they only went with the latter because they could get Little Britain on the video and they though they were funny. They weren't.
I really like I'm with Stupid but agree that the video is horrible. Of course, a proper edit of Fugitive (not the crap 7" edit on the BP single) should have been the lead single from Fundamental.

Oznerol

#67 Post by Oznerol »

'Why don`t we live together' was obviously planned to be a possible single from Please...we have not just that alternate 'Original New York Mix' we can hear on the Further listening CD, there are a studio tape with a lot of stuff around this track, including rough extended and dub mixes, all of them great with a lot of additional work done (and the distinct edits of the Latin Rascals).
This is not my signature.

Palpatine

#68 Post by Palpatine »

Why Don't We Live Together would've made a great single.

vincenzosz

#69 Post by vincenzosz »

I love Im with stupid too. But what an AWFUL video. It's SO annoying and unintentionally stupid.

I've never seen what's so great about Fugitive.

retrofuturist

#70 Post by retrofuturist »

Greetings,
A bad switch for Fundamental, and a bad switch for Elysium.... every mistake imaginable.

Retro. :)
"Politics are too emotional now. Contemporary culture generally is too emotional, really... I'd rather people looked to the truth." (Neil Tennant)

sc3lj

#71 Post by sc3lj »

With the amount of songs listed here. The next PSB compilation - Cancelled, Potential or Maybe as the title. Other (and probably better) suggestions welcome!

Simon

Mr Love

#72 Post by Mr Love »

Rorie wrote: Pandamonium [The boys felt it was a strong candidate for single release EMI felt differently and released Did You See Me Coming?].
Pandemonium has to be the most obvious single that never was, still can't believe it. :wall:

At least they named their most successful, longest and possible best tour as well as its live DVD/CD after it.

Nervously

#73 Post by Nervously »

Mr Love wrote:
Rorie wrote: Pandamonium [The boys felt it was a strong candidate for single release EMI felt differently and released Did You See Me Coming?].
Pandemonium has to be the most obvious single that never was, still can't believe it. :wall:

At least they named their most successful, longest and possible best tour as well as its live DVD/CD after it.
Never liked Pandemonium much. Maybe my sixth favourite song on the album. Musically a bit too obvious, lyrically banal.

E-Mail Vampire

#74 Post by E-Mail Vampire »

Richard X revealed that Fugitive was briefly discussed as a being a single.

York Minster

#75 Post by York Minster »

Does anyone actually like the I'm With Stupid video? I love what they did. Top 5 all time video for me.

Usually I don't get into British humor much, but the video both makes me laugh and I believe has artistic merit.

Can I ask those who hate it, what specifically annoys you? Or would you be annoyed by most anything that "made a crack-at" the boys.

Then again, maybe I just like anything that recreates the brilliant perfection of the Can you forgive her?? video, hmmm :eh:

An interesting thing I've noticed with I'm With Stupid. Start the song, pause it in the chorus or even elsewhere. Then think of West End girls, and start it up. It sounds like West End girls for the first half-second every-time to me. It's got that smooth-soul flow, unless you hit one of the horn blasts.
And tryin' to figure out what happened to 'Germaine Propaine'
"He couldn't have fell off that hard" Ain't no way
"What happened to the way you was rappin' when you was scandalous
That Canibus turned into a television evangelist"
Plus he raps with his regular voice [BOOSH! BOOSH!]
[BOOSH! BOOSH!] (What was that?) Pet Shop Boys