Doubts- Tennant/Lowe, Published by, License..

Archive for quick access to detailed information about the band.
Vince

Doubts- Tennant/Lowe, Published by, License..

#1 Post by Vince »

Why is it written like that->
"Written by Tennant/Lowe, Published by Cage Music/Sony ATV Music" ?

Tennant writes for Cage and Lowe for Sony? (i remember it used to be 10 Music or something for Chris long back)

And what does "Published by" mean?

Also, on PSB albums, it says "The copyright to this sound recording is owned by PSB Partnership under exclusive license to EMI"
Is this common for all artists? And what advantage does it have?

Sorry for the doubts, but i REALLY dont understand the music industry!
H.A.P.P.I.N.E.S.S.S.S.S.S.S.S.S.S.S.S.S.S.

rabagast

#2 Post by rabagast »

1. The publishers handle the rights concerning the written music (litterature), as opposed to the recorded music (singles, albums etc.) . Neil and Chris's publishing is handled my two different publishing houses.

2. Pet Shop Boys Partnership (Neil and Cghris) own their PSB'srecordings. EMI has exclusive rights to release the stuff according to a contract. This isn't the common way. More often than not, the record company owns the rights and the artist get paid percentages. PSB's record deal is known to be very good.

TheGardner

#3 Post by TheGardner »

Tennant/Lowe writes their tracks, but Cage/Sony Music have to save the rights for them! So all rights violations (i.e. putting the lyrics on webpages) will controlled by Cage/Sony for Tennant/Lowe.

Same with PSB Partnership Ltd. althrough I know, that this doesn't exist anymore (since 2002, when the fired the Sanctuary management with Mitch Clark)

Vince

#4 Post by Vince »

Thank you Rabagast and Gardner!!! :)

So what money do the Publishing houses get? rights to lyrics, what else?
And why are Neil and Chris under different ones? any "story" behind it?

So if i were to SAMPLE a PSB song, does EMI have to approve? or the PSB themselves?

Dipso

#5 Post by Dipso »

Vince wrote:Thank you Rabagast and Gardner!!! :)

So what money do the Publishing houses get? rights to lyrics, what else?
And why are Neil and Chris under different ones? any "story" behind it?

So if i were to SAMPLE a PSB song, does EMI have to approve? or the PSB themselves?
Neil and Chris aren't represented by different publishers - they are both represented by Cage and Sony ATV.
Prick up your ears.

rabagast

#6 Post by rabagast »

TheGardner wrote: Same with PSB Partnership Ltd. althrough I know, that this doesn't exist anymore (since 2002, when the fired the Sanctuary management with Mitch Clark)
PSB Partnership exists. PSBP processes all of PSB outcome and income, employ people etc. When PSB spilt with Massive/Tom Watkins, PSBP also served as management, with Jill Wall (later Carrington) employed as manager. Later Mitch Clark took over, she worked for Sanctuary. Now David Dorrell is manager via his own company, Dorrell Management. Long story short, PSBP buys management services from outside companies theese days

Vince

#7 Post by Vince »

^^ oh ok, thanks, i thot Cage/Sony meant diff ones..