Konichiwa

New members introduce yourself or just say hi here. The answers to Frequently Asked Questions live here too.
Gaijin

Konichiwa

#1 Post by Gaijin » Sun 17 Aug 2014, 10:41 pm

I am not a bot - I think.

I've been lurking for a while, reading thru the old threads, and decided it was time to register. I might have some questions for you later. :wink:

I'm in Johannesburg and am curious whether there are any other forum members from ZA that post here.

Gaijin

Re: Konichiwa

#2 Post by Gaijin » Mon 18 Aug 2014, 11:29 am

Some of my PSB history...

I have enjoyed their music since 1986, when West End girls made it's world-wide splash, but was won over when I heard Love comes quickly and then Opportunities. Didn't get Please until after Suburbia/Paninaro and then came Disco, which at the time presented me with my first collection of extended mixes. Those mixes are still some of my favourites many listens later. As it turns out, no subsequent series of releases buy any other group has been as interesting. (Although Sisters of Mercy in 1987 and NIN in 1994 were also very good).

The 1987 album was the last album that I bought on release for many years, though there were some singles that got my attention. By the time Introspective was released I was listening to different genres and I was not interested in house music at all, deeming it disposable and inconsequential. Rock had better basslines IMO, and I left pop behind.

In 1997 I bought Alternative (actually it was a single disc edition I spotted in a second-hand store) and rediscovered the PSB's. That disc is probably the most significant PSB purchase I ever made, and it is likely the best compilation they ever released until PopArt.

The PopArt DVD is brilliant, affording me a chance to see many of the promo clips for the first time. (I used to leave it on shuffle play for hours at a time.) I discovered that there were other releases for Opportunities and West End Girls, as for the first time, I went looking for PSB on the internet. (I'd by then amassed a huge amount of Depeche Mode catalogue - but it never occurred to me that PSB would have just as many items to look for)

I began searching out the versions that I hadn't heard. The Bobby 'O' stuff, the 10" + 12" West End girls, the extra mixes of Opportunities, the Pettibones of Love comes quickly and the US versions of Suburbia. Along the way I learned to love the albums that I'd always disliked - Behaviour, Very and Bilingual had been picked up on with their re-issues, but now I was getting into Nightlife, Release and Yes. Consequently, I first heard Relentless when I went to the trouble of tracking it down on the internet.

That excitement of rediscovery has kept me going for quite a lot longer, as now, I have a rather considerable collection of vinyl, CD and DVD. The excitement of the last decade, searching out the records I didn't have, discovering new songs and versions is something that I often spend time on and now PSB's are one of my favourite groups ever. (I currently have just over 1500 tracks in my iTunes).

Unfortunately, while I have collected PSB for many years, and do enjoy their new material, they have still not managed to do better than than their 1986 output in this fan's opinion, and recent albums (Elysium and Electric) offer fewer moments of pleasure than desired. However, the live shows are getting better, and even though I've never seen them, Youtube offers a glimpse of the boys that I wouldn't get otherwise.

A quick summary of my personal 'best of' PSB moments:

Opportunities
Disco
Alternative (Disc 1)
Discoteca
Please: Further Listening
Love is a Catastrophe
PopArt DVD
Integral (the album version)
Relentless (online acquisition circa 2010)
Axis

So these are the most memorable moments of my PSB history, although anachronistic at times.

Just recently I was given a huge amount of demo material, the scope of which is completely unexpected, and my interest is once again at a high level. Visiting this forum has let to the discovery of a few supplemental BBC Radio shows, so I'm already happy I stopped by. I am anticipating other good things of my time here, and hope that I am able to contribute in the future.

Paul

#3 Post by Paul » Mon 18 Aug 2014, 6:26 pm

Welcome guy :mrgreen: :wink:

Gaijin

#4 Post by Gaijin » Tue 19 Aug 2014, 8:08 am

Paul wrote:Welcome guy :mrgreen: :wink:
Hi Paul.

Nice to hear from you. Thanks for taking the time.