80sography Stephen Hague podcasts

For general discussion of Pet Shop Boys topics.
StevePSB
Site Admin

80sography Stephen Hague podcasts

#1 Post by StevePSB »

Top two in this link are PSB heavy.

I've not listened properly yet, but I gather they include the answer to the 'what does the recorded girl say at the start of West End girls?' question, which I've wondered about for years. I've read the answer and now know. All I could ever hear was 'forever'.

https://www.buzzsprout.com/699262

StevePSB

StevePSB
Site Admin

Re: 80sography Stephen Hague podcasts

#2 Post by StevePSB »

The original street recording that includes the 'forever' quote plays at around 55:00 on the 86-87 podcast. Amazing to hear it clearly and really hear what it says after 36 years! I would never have correctly guessed what was said & recorded!

StevePSB

domino

#3 Post by domino »

Get on the micro-pho-hone! :D
A blues would be in B flat, pain defining wisdom,
but the soul is in the high hat, programmed in the system.

PopKid78

#4 Post by PopKid78 »

Get on the mic-ro-ph-one.... forever!
This has got to go on a T-shirt

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Suburban_Boy

#5 Post by Suburban_Boy »

Wow!! Even crazier when you then go back and listen to the track because now it seems as clear as day! :D

joe stalin

#6 Post by joe stalin »

Love it. Thanks for sharing

g_m

#7 Post by g_m »

Suburban_Boy wrote: Sat 04 Sep 2021, 8:25 pm Wow!! Even crazier when you then go back and listen to the track because now it seems as clear as day! :D
Exactly. Just been listening to the 10" Mix on headphones and the sample is there at 30 seconds on the left channel and is a lot clearer than the 7" version. After the podcast revelation, it's now really obvious what she's saying. I love the fact that something new has come to light after nearly 36(!) years of it being released and it being played millions of times. I love all the nerdy stuff to do with PSB. The blog post on the Mu:zine website about how the bass sound was made is great as well.

StevePSB
Site Admin

#8 Post by StevePSB »

I wonder if the girl in question ever realised she'd made it onto a number one song, and if so why she's never said anything.

I also wonder the same thing about the bloke doing the train announcement in 'Two divided by zero'. Famous, but never knew, perhaps!

StevePSB

OakeyDokey

#9 Post by OakeyDokey »

She sounds like a right gobby cow. Hope she showed respect for her hero George Michael when he passed.

leesmapman

#10 Post by leesmapman »

Interesting, Hague mentioning a falling out between his management and their management which led to him leaving producing the Actually album.

StevePSB
Site Admin

#11 Post by StevePSB »

Suburban_Boy wrote: Sat 04 Sep 2021, 8:25 pm Wow!! Even crazier when you then go back and listen to the track because now it seems as clear as day! :D
Yep, I thought exactly the same. You hear it perfectly now.

Before, I could have sworn 'Soho' was in there!

StevePSB

g_m

#12 Post by g_m »

StevePSB wrote: Sun 05 Sep 2021, 10:34 am I wonder if the girl in question ever realised she'd made it onto a number one song, and if so why she's never said anything.

I also wonder the same thing about the bloke doing the train announcement in 'Two divided by zero'. Famous, but never knew, perhaps!

StevePSB
Likewise, the same goes for the guy who walks into shot with Neil and Chris at the start of the West End girls video. I wonder where he is now.

Didn't they say he was a homeless guy who just happened to walk with them, but he was in time so they kept him in? If so, was he even aware of how famous he had become ☹️

joe stalin

#13 Post by joe stalin »

leesmapman wrote: Sun 05 Sep 2021, 11:06 am Interesting, Hague mentioning a falling out between his management and their management which led to him leaving producing the Actually album.
There also seemed to be some sort of indifference towards Julian Mendensohn. Somewhere else, perhaps on here courtesy of Dog, I think I heard that Stephen Hague sorted out an issue with Its a Sin, and Julian Mendensohn and perhaps Andy Richards sorted out Rent by slowing it down.

It also sounds like Heart which was mostly Andy Richards might have been the other track that could have been set for Please but Haguey said no.

To be honest… I preferred episode 1. Perhaps it was the vagueness of what happened in 1987 just jarred. The recent interview on YouTube with Julian Mendensohn was much more interesting regarding Actually.

Would love a round table but it would need to be a big table. So many top notch producers, engineers, mixers supporting N&C during 1986-1989. No wonder it was seen by some to be obvious that N&C didn’t do anything. Obvious bull5hit but if you look at the enormous and heavy hitting credits in those times, it could be asked what exactly did everyone do ?

y3potential

#14 Post by y3potential »

joe stalin wrote: Sun 05 Sep 2021, 1:27 pm
leesmapman wrote: Sun 05 Sep 2021, 11:06 am Interesting, Hague mentioning a falling out between his management and their management which led to him leaving producing the Actually album.
There also seemed to be some sort of indifference towards Julian Mendensohn. Somewhere else, perhaps on here courtesy of Dog, I think I heard that Stephen Hague sorted out an issue with Its a Sin, and Julian Mendensohn and perhaps Andy Richards sorted out Rent by slowing it down.

It also sounds like Heart which was mostly Andy Richards might have been the other track that could have been set for Please but Haguey said no.

To be honest… I preferred episode 1. Perhaps it was the vagueness of what happened in 1987 just jarred. The recent interview on YouTube with Julian Mendensohn was much more interesting regarding Actually.

Would love a round table but it would need to be a big table. So many top notch producers, engineers, mixers supporting N&C during 1986-1989. No wonder it was seen by some to be obvious that N&C didn’t do anything. Obvious bull5hit but if you look at the enormous and heavy hitting credits in those times, it could be asked what exactly did everyone do ?

I've often wondered that with regard to Pete Gleadall. I don't mean that disrespectfully as Pete is extremely talented in his own right. I just don't understand his role when PSB are recording an album. For example, Fundamental with Trevor Horn or Elysium and Dawson... Where does Pete fit in when Neil and Chris are working with these producers..? Would those producers want him around for instance..?
There is beauty in ugliness and ugliness in beauty.

TallThinMan

#15 Post by TallThinMan »

y3potential wrote: Sun 05 Sep 2021, 3:40 pm
joe stalin wrote: Sun 05 Sep 2021, 1:27 pm

I've often wondered that with regard to Pete Gleadall. I don't mean that disrespectfully as Pete is extremely talented in his own right. I just don't understand his role when PSB are recording an album. For example, Fundamental with Trevor Horn or Elysium and Dawson... Where does Pete fit in when Neil and Chris are working with these producers..? Would those producers want him around for instance..?
http://www.muzines.co.uk/articles/pet-sounds/7670
TIERGARTEN's debut album BREAKING POINT is out now: https://linktr.ee/tiergartenmusic