Hating PSB

For general discussion of Pet Shop Boys topics.
retrofuturist

Re: Hating PSB

#16 Post by retrofuturist »

Greetings,
Old Soak wrote: Thu 02 Sep 2021, 8:45 pm I have a friend who hates PSB because they don't just do bubblegum pop like Erasure and Take That... Which disproves the comments above, more layers than an onion. Mind you, she liked pretty much every UK novelty No.1 from the 70's and 80's so that should set it in context.
Maybe a cover of Agadoo will get the boys back to the top of the charts? :lol:

Retro. :)

Propertius

#17 Post by Propertius »

The Moz/Bennett story is that the playwright chose “It’s a Sin” over a Smiths song to feature in “The History Boys.” If memory serves…

Patrick Bateman

#18 Post by Patrick Bateman »

Charlie Gillett managed Kilburn and the High Roads. One could make an argument that West End Girls and Hit Me With Your Rhythm Stick are very similar as they are both unusual number one records with distinctive vocals by idiosyncratic frontmen. I can only assume his loathing for PSB was based on their 'inauthenticity' compared with pub rock stalwarts or underappreciated world music prodigies, rather than homophobia, which is often a reason why people hate PSB.

OakeyDokey

#19 Post by OakeyDokey »

It's a reasoned response - post it to Lamarr on Twitter, see if he's so gobby then...

In the (adapted) words of the Pets forebears

Loving You
Hating PSB
It's the other side of love
It's the side that you don't want to see

Drico One

#20 Post by Drico One »

Pet Shop Boys have always been incredibly divisive, in my experience. I put some of that down to low-level homophobia - but not simply that. It's bad enough for their "critics" that they are poofs, but it's unforgivable that they are poofs with attitude, poofs getting above their station who have the temerity to express awkward and troubling opinions about that bastion of heterosexual machismo: rock music. Worse, to be hugely successful with it - while making it look far too easy indeed - is a bridge too far.

Many "gay" bands get the usual homophobic stuff thrown at them, but they are generally safely categorised and marginalised as spandex queens or disco bunnies and are no threat to the c*ck rockers. They, in the eyes of these august observers, are hoist with their own leotards, undermined by their own inherent triviality, not to be taken seriously. Pet Shop Boys, however, are something more disturbing, much more threatening, almost confrontational. Of course, above all, it's not simply sexual orientation or attitude that is held against them. It is intelligence. They are, essentially, the victims of anti-intellectualism, which is deeply vexing for purveyors of rock with a c.

Let's face it: a large percentage of those who go out of their way to unilaterally declare their distaste with Pet Shop Boys are people who have to have the fact that electronic music is actually music explained to them. They refuse to accept that artifice and mystery are utterly "authentic" in a pop environment. The only "gay bands" they'll make any real concession for are those wielding guitars who take lots of drugs, allegedly. It's why the likes of Freddie Mercury, George Michael, and Elton John have been able to garner "credibility" in this constituency, if not in the US.

I don't mind people disliking Pet Shop Boys. Some people just don't like them. That's fair enough to me. Bad taste cannot be helped. But plenty of the "hate" comes with a slightly more meat-headed complexion and is steeped in a preference for hairy-arsed, armpit-inflected, booze-stewed swill that masquerades as "credible". It's credible, alright - credible for insecure people craving some kind of weird conformity-enhancing peer acceptance.

Thank you and goodnight.

Drico.
The pale kid that hides in the attic behind his PC...

OakeyDokey

#21 Post by OakeyDokey »

*applause*

daveid

#22 Post by daveid »

The Lamarr tweet is trivial but the Pets are disliked by many because they are intelligent, intellectual and question society. That's considered subversive in the UK these days. People traded truth for delusion and don't want music that attempts to get to the core of anything or spoil their fantasies.

y3potential

#23 Post by y3potential »

Drico One wrote: Fri 03 Sep 2021, 8:24 pm Pet Shop Boys have always been incredibly divisive, in my experience. I put some of that down to low-level homophobia - but not simply that. It's bad enough for their "critics" that they are poofs, but it's unforgivable that they are poofs with attitude, poofs getting above their station who have the temerity to express awkward and troubling opinions about that bastion of heterosexual machismo: rock music. Worse, to be hugely successful with it - while making it look far too easy indeed - is a bridge too far.

Many "gay" bands get the usual homophobic stuff thrown at them, but they are generally safely categorised and marginalised as spandex queens or disco bunnies and are no threat to the c*ck rockers. They, in the eyes of these august observers, are hoist with their own leotards, undermined by their own inherent triviality, not to be taken seriously. Pet Shop Boys, however, are something more disturbing, much more threatening, almost confrontational. Of course, above all, it's not simply sexual orientation or attitude that is held against them. It is intelligence. They are, essentially, the victims of anti-intellectualism, which is deeply vexing for purveyors of rock with a c.

Let's face it: a large percentage of those who go out of their way to unilaterally declare their distaste with Pet Shop Boys are people who have to have the fact that electronic music is actually music explained to them. They refuse to accept that artifice and mystery are utterly "authentic" in a pop environment. The only "gay bands" they'll make any real concession for are those wielding guitars who take lots of drugs, allegedly. It's why the likes of Freddie Mercury, George Michael, and Elton John have been able to garner "credibility" in this constituency, if not in the US.

I don't mind people disliking Pet Shop Boys. Some people just don't like them. That's fair enough to me. Bad taste cannot be helped. But plenty of the "hate" comes with a slightly more meat-headed complexion and is steeped in a preference for hairy-arsed, armpit-inflected, booze-stewed swill that masquerades as "credible". It's credible, alright - credible for insecure people craving some kind of weird conformity-enhancing peer acceptance.

Thank you and goodnight.

Drico.

This.. 'No further questions, M'lud..'
There is beauty in ugliness and ugliness in beauty.

stussyboy

#24 Post by stussyboy »

I’d be more concerned if Mark Lamarr was a fan to be honest.
NewYork London Tokyo LosAngeles

StevePSB
Site Admin

#25 Post by StevePSB »

I've never understood how people can feel uncomfortable (in the sense of their own homophobia) around PSB, but yet can love a band like Queen (for example).

Freddie was much, much, much more 'out' (and outrageous) than PSB ever were or have been, yet such people will happily nod their head to Queen, yet sneer at PSB.

The older I get, the more I find that people are strange.

StevePSB

raggatwin

#26 Post by raggatwin »

I've always thought Mark Lamarr himself is gay...
Hello my name is Neil Tennant and I'm Chris Lowe and we're of the Pet Shop Boys.

TallThinMan

#27 Post by TallThinMan »

Mark Lamarr didn’t actually say he hated them though, did he? He said his friend hated them so much he could never take them seriously.

MD

#28 Post by MD »

TallThinMan wrote: Sat 04 Sep 2021, 3:21 pm Mark Lamarr didn’t actually say he hated them though, did he? He said his friend hated them so much he could never take them seriously.
I can understand his point to a certain extent because of an experience of my own. My best friend and his wife we’re responsible for me changing my mind about an artist who I completely dismissed because of that artists image. I had seen the artists albums, back in the days when they had stores to see those in, and the artwork completely turned me off even giving them a listen. But my friends, whose opinion I hold in high esteem, really liked this artist. So I gave them a shot and found out that I actually loved a lot of their music. I can see this working just as well in the opposite direction.

The artist in question was Marilyn Manson. To this day, I still consider they’re Mechanical Animals album to be one of the greatest in the heavy-metal genre. I know, who would’ve thought a hard-core Pet Shop Boys fan would also love Marilyn Manson!

I also think that another reason for some people’s dislike of Pet Shop Boys is Neil‘s voice, It’s something of an acquired taste for many. I absolutely love it but I understand that it is very unique. Also, it can come across as just a bit to posh. And make him seem a little bit full of himself.
"Not everyone is lucky enough to understand how delicious it is to suffer"

joe stalin

#29 Post by joe stalin »

Drico One wrote: Fri 03 Sep 2021, 8:24 pm Pet Shop Boys have always been incredibly divisive, in my experience. I put some of that down to low-level homophobia - but not simply that. It's bad enough for their "critics" that they are poofs, but it's unforgivable that they are poofs with attitude, poofs getting above their station who have the temerity to express awkward and troubling opinions about that bastion of heterosexual machismo: rock music. Worse, to be hugely successful with it - while making it look far too easy indeed - is a bridge too far.

Thank you and goodnight.

Drico.
Great to have you back Drico

To me the psb have always been my dirty hidden little secret and the older I get the better that feels. I have now over 2,000 psb tracks in my collection and in the digital age it’s perfectly conceivable to imagine I have enough of their music solely to cater to my musical listening requirements for the rest of my days. Guess it could be seen by some as an addiction but rather than to try to persuade others to listen to see just how great they are, I simply can’t be arsed.

OakeyDokey

#30 Post by OakeyDokey »

Simply can't be arsed? Joe Stalin? Man, you've changed...