Anything?

For general discussion of Pet Shop Boys topics.
G_Goalden

Re: Anything?

#31 Post by G_Goalden »

Is it too much to hope that the Unity tour is brought together for New Order's gigs this week.

A quick rendition of 'Getting Away with It' at the Piece Hall in Halifax would go down very well thank you very much.

G.
Birmingham 1989 | Blackpool & Birmingham 1991| Savoy 1997 | Sheffield 1999 | Middlesbrough 2002 | Manchester 2006/9 | Manchester 2013 | ROH 2016 | RAH 2017

rashomon

#32 Post by rashomon »

There is always hope!

Fingers crossed for ya mate
you could say conventional ... and I could claim intentional

PopKid78

#33 Post by PopKid78 »

Gillian Gilbert doesn’t rule out a UK tour in this interview

https://www.yorkshirepost.co.uk/whats-o ... ar-3371798

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OakeyDokey

#34 Post by OakeyDokey »

New Order like to play three nights and have a couple of days off, we don’t like doing like what the Pet Shop Boys are doing, but we thought, ‘Let’s have a go and see how it goes’.
What does she mean by that?

rashomon

#35 Post by rashomon »

I was flummoxed bu that also but my reading of it is that New Order don’t like to do long running tours that cover multiple cities like Dreamworld for example. They seem to prefer short bursts of activity and enjoy big gaps in between.

G_Goalden

#36 Post by G_Goalden »

Having been to see them tonight it will be interesting to see how New Order fair playing with a double headliner.

As much as some of their songs have massive historic appeal, they aren’t a patch on PSB live. Even more so if PSB do a ‘greatest hits’ show with a heavily dance oriented set.

NO were very New Order tonight. I know i’m talking to the converted but all I could imagine was that I was in North America and that after a short break the ‘headliners’ were coming on.

Still when you home 20 mins after the last chord of ‘Love Will Tear Us Apart’ that’s a great thing to celebrate.
Birmingham 1989 | Blackpool & Birmingham 1991| Savoy 1997 | Sheffield 1999 | Middlesbrough 2002 | Manchester 2006/9 | Manchester 2013 | ROH 2016 | RAH 2017

Spittingcat

#37 Post by Spittingcat »

The middle section of last night's gig would go down perfectly with people turning up to see PSB. From Be A Rebel all the way up to Plastic... pretty much "banging with lasers". The opening section (my favourite bit of the night) might disappoint... full on guitar band sound (with high "indie rock" energy levels for, let's face it, what is an, er, ageing band). Closing encore of Joy Division classics might be a surprise for some, but who could complain?

rashomon

#38 Post by rashomon »

How was Barney's vocals last night?

He was sounding really bad I thought in the recent live from Ally Pally clips they released ... hopefully some improvement?!

Spittingcat

#39 Post by Spittingcat »

Often out of tune. Often out of time. He’s been like that for 40 years!

😹

My other half said he was almost not shit. She also said it was a great gig. That’s New Order live… even when they’re really good, you never go home praising the vocals. It was a great set last night, very glad we went.

G_Goalden

#40 Post by G_Goalden »

Spittingcat wrote: Thu 09 Sep 2021, 10:35 am The middle section of last night's gig would go down perfectly with people turning up to see PSB. From Be A Rebel all the way up to Plastic... pretty much "banging with lasers". The opening section (my favourite bit of the night) might disappoint... full on guitar band sound (with high "indie rock" energy levels for, let's face it, what is an, er, ageing band). Closing encore of Joy Division classics might be a surprise for some, but who could complain?
On the performance last night would you have NO or PSB headlining?

The audience last night didn't seem very PSB - lots of 'blokes' in groups/black t-shirts (myself included). It would be interesting to know the split of fans who have bought tickets for the Unity tour. Would PSB fans enjoy 'UItraviolence' 'and a Joy Division medley, likewise would the audience last night have enjoyed some camp theatrics?

Hopefully for those with tickets its the middle section last night, a mini-Greatest Hits (with Vocal + lasers) plus a joint encore of Electronic songs.

G_Goalden

#41 Post by G_Goalden »

rashomon wrote: Thu 09 Sep 2021, 11:32 am How was Barney's vocals last night?

He was sounding really bad I thought in the recent live from Ally Pally clips they released ... hopefully some improvement?!
It was pretty much the recent 'Education, Entertainment, Recreation' Live album note for note (with Bernard slightly more out of tune and fewer songs).

tottenhammattspurs

#42 Post by tottenhammattspurs »

They’ll probably release it as yet another live album.
is is and isnt isnt

psbfannyc

#43 Post by psbfannyc »

Maybe they will finally do a retrospective boxset like Erasure's highly curated one (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/From_Moscow_to_Mars)? In time for a 3 year Greatest Hits tour that will allegedly start in May 2022?

negative_0ne

#44 Post by negative_0ne »

psbfannyc wrote: Sun 12 Sep 2021, 10:57 am Maybe they will finally do a retrospective boxset like Erasure's highly curated one (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/From_Moscow_to_Mars)? In time for a 3 year Greatest Hits tour that will allegedly start in May 2022?
the erasure one was a terrible mess, with lots missing,
and duplication, and very pricey too.

so no, i hope they don't do one like that.

later

oakey

#45 Post by oakey »

Agree, too expensive, too limited. The Soft cell or Marc Almond one is a better example.