Anything?

For general discussion of Pet Shop Boys topics.
eastendboy

Anything?

#1 Post by eastendboy »

So do we think the boys will bother to release anything else this year? Maybe more t-shirts through Zara or some online demos of songs they have written during lockdown.

oakey

Re: Anything?

#2 Post by oakey »

Was thinking the same these days. 2020 was great release-wise despite COVID but since Literally and DiscoVery there have been no activities at all it seems. Oh we had the Weller remix of course.

DopeFiend

#3 Post by DopeFiend »

Something that I love is they (and their marketing) have an obligation to stay relevant.
I see it as a drip feed, little something here and there to keep us interested.

The title and body of this thread seems to imply they're not doing anything. Last action was a whole song, sort of. The remix track. That was... just last month. And word of the rare and exclusive instrumental version spread some days after the initial release. I think it's fair for them to give it a little longer before the next release or announcement.
I know this isn't the Cosmic Fringes thread, but hearing that song did have an impact on me and my view of PSB in a positive way. I think it's a pretty significant release though obviously not a major release.

Aren't they touring soon?
Let's check...
https://www.petshopboys.co.uk/tour
They are not.
I thought they'd be touring.

Forgive me for writing in real time, it's not typical on internet forums.

Anyway back to the subject. Yeah they really have to release something. Let's begin the speculation.
Personally after Cricket Wife I'm not clamouring for them to rush anything out that isn't properly recorded and perfected in full.
If they have something homemade, I'd say go re-record it in a professional studio.
But at the same time, it wouldn't be the end of the world to release a DIY self-produced, home recorded EP for Christmas.

I think the best they can do is something we don't expect, and can't expect.

Remember we were speculating about Disco 5, that could still happen. The rules of the Disco series are a bit lax so a new Disco release could be anything such as reinterpretations of classic tracks or brand new cover versions or just a mixed bag of new dance-oriented tracks with some remixes thrown in. Spitballing..

rashomon

Anything?

#4 Post by rashomon »

My gut feeling is that the next major PSB milestone will be the Passport gig at the Electric Ballroom and I suspect they are preparing for it now.
you could say conventional ... and I could claim intentional

Eleven

#5 Post by Eleven »

They probably have enough songs from lockdown for 3 albums, but if they are all in the direction of the Cricket Wife then I prefer they release nothing
For me their last great release was the Agenda EP

retrofuturist

#6 Post by retrofuturist »

Greetings,

We'll see... as long as they still Pet Shop Boys, they'll do something.

Retro. :)

shaunsheep

#7 Post by shaunsheep »

I think they heard ABBA were releasing something new and they decided not to bother trying go up against them LOL.

Old Soak

#8 Post by Old Soak »

I wouldn't be surprised if an unexpected EP popped up "Just in time for Christmas". And I love Cricket Wife, one of their most moving songs, ever. Yes it's different, and why shouldn't they keep things fresh? Trying different styles occasionally is why they haven't got bored and joined the tired old 80's circuit tours so many of their peers rely on now.
And at the end/ Your funny Uncle staring / At all your friends / With military bearing

glennjridge

#9 Post by glennjridge »

I think these guys love the whole dance....the routine....of putting out an album...and then touring.
I suspect its zero fun for them to put effort into a new album to then be released and then suffer the setback they suffered with
Hotspot. I dont think they want to release music and not be able to tour behind it.

I think they are going to hold off on an whole new album for quite a while. oh they might give us some sort of one off, but sadly I think its going to be mid 2022 before they even attempt to put out a new album.

I hope I'm wrong.

domino

#10 Post by domino »

glennjridge wrote: Fri 27 Aug 2021, 10:56 pm I think these guys love the whole dance....the routine....of putting out an album...and then touring.
I suspect its zero fun for them to put effort into a new album to then be released and then suffer the setback they suffered with Hotspot. I dont think they want to release music and not be able to tour behind it.
But that don't necessarily means that they won't release an EP. To this day, they haven't performed a single track from Agenda.
A blues would be in B flat, pain defining wisdom,
but the soul is in the high hat, programmed in the system.

tottenhammattspurs

#11 Post by tottenhammattspurs »

What was the most sparse PSB year? 1998? I can’t think of anything, music, product or collaborations between the fan club Snow at Xmas cd and DKWYWBICGIA in late summer 99?
is is and isnt isnt

domino

#12 Post by domino »

tottenhammattspurs wrote: Sun 29 Aug 2021, 4:23 pm What was the most sparse PSB year? 1998? I can’t think of anything, music, product or collaborations between the fan club Snow at Xmas cd and DKWYWBICGIA in late summer 99?
They were touring in Russia in march 1998. But that’s all, I guess.
A blues would be in B flat, pain defining wisdom,
but the soul is in the high hat, programmed in the system.

PopArt

#13 Post by PopArt »

1992 was pretty sparse too. They did the Hacienda gig and the Performance video but I think that was about it. I guess there was the Electronic single and the aborted Go West single too. But it was a very quiet year indeed.

As for what comes next, I think we will see a new album next year. Maybe not until the autumn but I imagine that all this writing will have morphed into some kind of album project this year that will probably be largely completed in the early stages of 2022 before they head off on tour.
I'm always waiting...

canveyboy

#14 Post by canveyboy »

I know we’ve not long had Discovery released on DVD/CD but I’m desperately hoping for MCMLXXXIX to be finally released, preferably for Christmas or early next year. As they said in Annually it’s the only remaining one of their concert films yet to be released on DVD. It’s a dead cert money maker. The fans would absolutely love it. It would be easy to get released without too much expense or time spent on it as I’m sure that film has been ready to go for years! That would tie us over nicely until the tour next year and then new album in the Autumn!

Come on lads - a nice 2xCD/DVD package like Discovery please! 🙏🙏🙏🙏
Its taken me all of my life to find you

y3potential

#15 Post by y3potential »

canveyboy wrote: Mon 30 Aug 2021, 11:38 pm I know we’ve not long had Discovery released on DVD/CD but I’m desperately hoping for MCMLXXXIX to be finally released, preferably for Christmas or early next year. As they said in Annually it’s the only remaining one of their concert films yet to be released on DVD. It’s a dead cert money maker. The fans would absolutely love it. It would be easy to get released without too much expense or time spent on it as I’m sure that film has been ready to go for years! That would tie us over nicely until the tour next year and then new album in the Autumn!

Come on lads - a nice 2xCD/DVD package like Discovery please! 🙏🙏🙏🙏

I couldn't agree more. And the whole concert, not just the "Highlights" edit. The clips shown in A Life In Pop look gorgeous and proof that the concert film has been remastered.
There is beauty in ugliness and ugliness in beauty.