Bilingual - originally planned track list

For general discussion of Pet Shop Boys topics.
Dreamland

Bilingual - originally planned track list

#1 Post by Dreamland »

Hello.

I’m sure I read somewhere that the original track list for Bilingual was different to the one released (and that the change came at a late stage in the development of the album).

Does anyone know what the original track list was?

Dog

Re: Bilingual - originally planned track list

#2 Post by Dog »

They originally considering it starting with Se a vida e, and then Before (from the Bilingual reissue booklet).
Woof.

retrofuturist

#3 Post by retrofuturist »

"Politics are too emotional now. Contemporary culture generally is too emotional, really... I'd rather people looked to the truth." (Neil Tennant)

domino

#4 Post by domino »

retrofuturist wrote: Fri 16 Jul 2021, 4:15 am Greetings,

See here: https://www.discogs.com/Pet-Shop-Boys-T ... se/1819497

Retro. :)
Very interesting, thanks! :D

But even that track order doesn't seem to fit.
A blues would be in B flat, pain defining wisdom,
but the soul is in the high hat, programmed in the system.

rashomon

#5 Post by rashomon »

domino wrote: Fri 16 Jul 2021, 9:17 am
retrofuturist wrote: Fri 16 Jul 2021, 4:15 am Greetings,

See here: https://www.discogs.com/Pet-Shop-Boys-T ... se/1819497

Very interesting, thanks! :D

But even that track order doesn't seem to fit.
Agreed.

Metamorphosis and Electricity are an issue on this album for me ... should have been left as b sides (at best!)

To be honest, If I'm having a clear out, I would also drop Saturday Night Forever and Before ... replacing these four with tracks from the FL series my Bilingual looks like this:

Discotecca
Bilingual
Hit and Miss
Up Against It
Se A Vida E
Red Letter Day
It Always Comes As A Surprise
The Calm Before the Storm
Delusions of Grandeur
The Truck-driver and His Mate
The Survivors
To Step Aside
you could say conventional ... and I could claim intentional

Dreamland

#6 Post by Dreamland »

Thanks! That’s really interesting.

I’d come across an alternative track list for Nightlife, which is what reminded me I’d read something about a different order of songs for Bilingual.

While I love Bilingual, I think for the casual fan the start of the album is quite tricky to get into initially. I certainly remember feeling that when I bought it as a teenager. The contrast with Very was a bit of a shock. But, perhaps that was the intention.

minimal

#7 Post by minimal »

I've always been puzzled by the dislike of Electricity and Metamorphosis. They do sound different and they do sound great. Also, I'm of the opinion that the combination of Discoteca and Single make up for the most atmospheric start into any PSB album, ever. But then again I basically consider Bilingual one of their best and most underrated albums to date. Also, both the video clips and the artworks are brilliant and I especially like the usage of the colours yellow and green. There's an underlying melancholy or even sadness accompanying the record (in spite of it being my PSB summer album) which I've always found relatable in a way...

When I listened to Between two islands for the first time I instantly thought about it as a contender for Bilingual. It's one of their last truly great b-sides, really. Actually I'd loved to see it as a single. :)

m+

rashomon

#8 Post by rashomon »

I don't actually mind Electricity - there is a slinkiness to this track and the samples add atmosphere but I find it jarring on the album.

Metamorphosis ... the rap is awkward and the female backing vocals are OTT. A definite skipper for me.
you could say conventional ... and I could claim intentional

Gabby

#9 Post by Gabby »

minimal wrote: Fri 16 Jul 2021, 11:40 am I've always been puzzled by the dislike of Electricity and Metamorphosis. They do sound different and they do sound great. Also, I'm of the opinion that the combination of Discoteca and Single make up for the most atmospheric start into any PSB album, ever. But then again I basically consider Bilingual one of their best and most underrated albums to date. Also, both the video clips and the artworks are brilliant and I especially like the usage of the colours yellow and green. There's an underlying melancholy or even sadness accompanying the record (in spite of it being my PSB summer album) which I've always found relatable in a way...

When I listened to Between two islands for the first time I instantly thought about it as a contender for Bilingual. It's one of their last truly great b-sides, really. Actually I'd loved to see it as a single. :)

m+
Not an album I listen to much but actually have a lot of love for. Saturday Night Forever is my least favourite track. Sounds like one of those, oddly enough, Saturday evening BBC variety show songs where you'd just have a bunch of ballroom style dancers bopping around to. 70s/80s light entertainment on the Beeb! No thanks!

Patrick Bateman

#10 Post by Patrick Bateman »

The main problem with Bilingual is that it's their first flawed album. So when you get past the exciting first couple of tracks, Metamorphosis and Electricity sound like a real step down - and it's the first time you've ever felt that way about a PSB album. I've always found Neil's rapping on Metamorphosis to be pretty embarrassing; it sounds like PJ and Duncan. Whereas he can obviously 'rap' on certain tracks, like West End Girls, the tempo is just too fast on Metamorphosis. Electricity would be okay as a b-side, as someone observed above, but not as fourth track on a proper album. Ultimately, they're probably not that bad but just felt highly disappointing at the time. After other flawed albums and in a streaming age it doesn't really matter now.

retrofuturist

#11 Post by retrofuturist »

Greetings,
Patrick Bateman wrote: Fri 16 Jul 2021, 10:24 pm After other flawed albums and in a streaming age it doesn't really matter now.
That's the key point. We weren't used to it at the time.

And no amount of track re-sequencings, elevation of b-sides or demotion of album tracks would have changed that.

"Politics are too emotional now. Contemporary culture generally is too emotional, really... I'd rather people looked to the truth." (Neil Tennant)

Andie

#12 Post by Andie »

retrofuturist wrote: Sat 17 Jul 2021, 4:14 am Greetings,
Patrick Bateman wrote: Fri 16 Jul 2021, 10:24 pm After other flawed albums and in a streaming age it doesn't really matter now.
That's the key point. We weren't used to it at the time.

And no amount of track re-sequencings, elevation of b-sides or demotion of album tracks would have changed that.

I agree!! When I bought & listened to Bilingual after Very, I got a bit of a shock!! :shock: It wasn't at all what I was expecting, although I'm not sure just what I did expect!! :? Having said that, I love the album.
Don’t be scared, for only the dark can show you the stars

ype

#13 Post by ype »

I don't mind Metamorphosis and I love Electricity.
Nightlife was the first album that had tracks I really didn't like. Remember Boy strange?

leesmapman

#14 Post by leesmapman »

ype wrote:I don't mind Metamorphosis and I love Electricity.
Nightlife was the first album that had tracks I really didn't like. Remember Boy strange?
The Only One. That's the one PSB track I really don't like. It's probably called that because of that.

Sent from my SM-J410F using Tapatalk

Future Lover

#15 Post by Future Lover »

"The only one" truly is the pits. "Boy Strange" is pretty enjoyable in my humble opinion. It's serving a proper mood.