Discovery review

For general discussion of Pet Shop Boys topics.
skyhigh

Discovery review

#1 Post by skyhigh »

That's it, it's all over. We're out of here. What a Legacy! (c) Chris Lowe 2009

skyhigh

Re: Discovery review

#2 Post by skyhigh »

That's it, it's all over. We're out of here. What a Legacy! (c) Chris Lowe 2009

joe stalin

#3 Post by joe stalin »

Wow. Top review. Considered, relative objective. Love the reference to the forum. I’m not on social media so this is my refuge.

I bought the dvd but haven’t watched it. Perhaps I won’t ever watch it. Guess I bought it as more if a collectivist of physical output rather than any desire to watch it.

My first psb concert was 1989 at wemberlee which I loved .. then savoy which I also loved… then paleo ( release)… pandemonium (o2) my favourite and recently ROH - fun but very banging ;-)

Frankly, I’m non plussed at whether critically the show is a bit shit. I just remind myself of the way the boys have provided a soundtrack to my last 35 years and more recently a video record that should I wish to, I can lounge in front of whilst I down a glass or two.

The background information regarding N&C relationship status and potentially their frame of mind at the time adds something, but I don’t necessarily feel it’s essential in order to enjoy or even interpret the songs. Very rarely have I even registered such details as I tend to listen to most of the lyrics from a straight mans perspective. Only when songs like ‘I’m in love with a married man’ or ‘if love were all’ come up on my random play playlist over a publicly aired speaker, do I rush to skip ;-). Hence the fact that go west is as camp as a row of tents, and whether it may or not be a response to Erasure, stealing a March, doesn’t really register.

Oh and btw.. I could be wrong but I recall it was Will Smith who beat the boys to number 1.

Anyway, appreciate the effort in the review. A very pet head thing to do. I love the input drico, dog and others put into providing such non run of the mill analysis to complement what is officially shared.

I hope this forum stays around like the music forever

PopKid78

Discovery review

#4 Post by PopKid78 »

joe stalin wrote:Wow. Top review. Considered, relative objective. Love the reference to the forum. I’m not on social media so this is my refuge.

I bought the dvd but haven’t watched it. Perhaps I won’t ever watch it. Guess I bought it as more if a collectivist of physical output rather than any desire to watch it.

My first psb concert was 1989 at wemberlee which I loved .. then savoy which I also loved… then paleo ( release)… pandemonium (o2) my favourite and recently ROH - fun but very banging ;-)

Frankly, I’m non plussed at whether critically the show is a bit shit. I just remind myself of the way the boys have provided a soundtrack to my last 35 years and more recently a video record that should I wish to, I can lounge in front of whilst I down a glass or two.

The background information regarding N&C relationship status and potentially their frame of mind at the time adds something, but I don’t necessarily feel it’s essential in order to enjoy or even interpret the songs. Very rarely have I even registered such details as I tend to listen to most of the lyrics from a straight mans perspective. Only when songs like ‘I’m in love with a married man’ or ‘if love were all’ come up on my random play playlist over a publicly aired speaker, do I rush to skip ;-). Hence the fact that go west is as camp as a row of tents, and whether it may or not be a response to Erasure, stealing a March, doesn’t really register.

Oh and btw.. I could be wrong but I recall it was Will Smith who beat the boys to number 1.

Anyway, appreciate the effort in the review. A very pet head thing to do. I love the input drico, dog and others put into providing such non run of the mill analysis to complement what is officially shared.

I hope this forum stays around like the music forever
If I remember rightly Culture Beat kept them off the top Spot for the first week of release, and Will Smith for the second. The second week, I had to stop myself from throwing my stereo out of the window.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

joe stalin

#5 Post by joe stalin »

Apologies. I doff my cap and stand corrected

OakeyDokey

#6 Post by OakeyDokey »

Pafford has great articles on his site on the Boys, Bowie etc. The right blend of knowledge, passion, wit and Queen Bitch.

NotInvisible

#7 Post by NotInvisible »

OakeyDokey wrote: Fri 11 Jun 2021, 5:41 pmThe right blend of knowledge, passion, wit and Queen Bitch.
If only knowledge, passion and wit were present in his writing. Far too many instances of confusing (often baseless) supposition for fact, unfortunately.

Patrick Bateman

#8 Post by Patrick Bateman »

I definitely concur with bigboy; they lost something with the likes of Absolutely Fabulous, Disco 2 and Discovery. I always think that I wouldn't have become a Pethead if I was introduced to them in 1995. That said, there was clearly stuff going on in their lives that probably necessitated that change.