Discovery review

For general discussion of Pet Shop Boys topics.
skyhigh

Discovery review

#1 Post by skyhigh »

That's it, it's all over. We're out of here. What a Legacy! (c) Chris Lowe 2009

skyhigh

Re: Discovery review

#2 Post by skyhigh »

That's it, it's all over. We're out of here. What a Legacy! (c) Chris Lowe 2009

joe stalin

#3 Post by joe stalin »

Wow. Top review. Considered, relative objective. Love the reference to the forum. I’m not on social media so this is my refuge.

I bought the dvd but haven’t watched it. Perhaps I won’t ever watch it. Guess I bought it as more if a collectivist of physical output rather than any desire to watch it.

My first psb concert was 1989 at wemberlee which I loved .. then savoy which I also loved… then paleo ( release)… pandemonium (o2) my favourite and recently ROH - fun but very banging ;-)

Frankly, I’m non plussed at whether critically the show is a bit shit. I just remind myself of the way the boys have provided a soundtrack to my last 35 years and more recently a video record that should I wish to, I can lounge in front of whilst I down a glass or two.

The background information regarding N&C relationship status and potentially their frame of mind at the time adds something, but I don’t necessarily feel it’s essential in order to enjoy or even interpret the songs. Very rarely have I even registered such details as I tend to listen to most of the lyrics from a straight mans perspective. Only when songs like ‘I’m in love with a married man’ or ‘if love were all’ come up on my random play playlist over a publicly aired speaker, do I rush to skip ;-). Hence the fact that go west is as camp as a row of tents, and whether it may or not be a response to Erasure, stealing a March, doesn’t really register.

Oh and btw.. I could be wrong but I recall it was Will Smith who beat the boys to number 1.

Anyway, appreciate the effort in the review. A very pet head thing to do. I love the input drico, dog and others put into providing such non run of the mill analysis to complement what is officially shared.

I hope this forum stays around like the music forever

PopKid78

Discovery review

#4 Post by PopKid78 »

joe stalin wrote:Wow. Top review. Considered, relative objective. Love the reference to the forum. I’m not on social media so this is my refuge.

I bought the dvd but haven’t watched it. Perhaps I won’t ever watch it. Guess I bought it as more if a collectivist of physical output rather than any desire to watch it.

My first psb concert was 1989 at wemberlee which I loved .. then savoy which I also loved… then paleo ( release)… pandemonium (o2) my favourite and recently ROH - fun but very banging ;-)

Frankly, I’m non plussed at whether critically the show is a bit shit. I just remind myself of the way the boys have provided a soundtrack to my last 35 years and more recently a video record that should I wish to, I can lounge in front of whilst I down a glass or two.

The background information regarding N&C relationship status and potentially their frame of mind at the time adds something, but I don’t necessarily feel it’s essential in order to enjoy or even interpret the songs. Very rarely have I even registered such details as I tend to listen to most of the lyrics from a straight mans perspective. Only when songs like ‘I’m in love with a married man’ or ‘if love were all’ come up on my random play playlist over a publicly aired speaker, do I rush to skip ;-). Hence the fact that go west is as camp as a row of tents, and whether it may or not be a response to Erasure, stealing a March, doesn’t really register.

Oh and btw.. I could be wrong but I recall it was Will Smith who beat the boys to number 1.

Anyway, appreciate the effort in the review. A very pet head thing to do. I love the input drico, dog and others put into providing such non run of the mill analysis to complement what is officially shared.

I hope this forum stays around like the music forever
If I remember rightly Culture Beat kept them off the top Spot for the first week of release, and Will Smith for the second. The second week, I had to stop myself from throwing my stereo out of the window.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

joe stalin

#5 Post by joe stalin »

Apologies. I doff my cap and stand corrected

OakeyDokey

#6 Post by OakeyDokey »

Pafford has great articles on his site on the Boys, Bowie etc. The right blend of knowledge, passion, wit and Queen Bitch.

NotInvisible

#7 Post by NotInvisible »

OakeyDokey wrote: Fri 11 Jun 2021, 5:41 pmThe right blend of knowledge, passion, wit and Queen Bitch.
If only knowledge, passion and wit were present in his writing. Far too many instances of confusing (often baseless) supposition for fact, unfortunately.

Patrick Bateman

#8 Post by Patrick Bateman »

I definitely concur with bigboy; they lost something with the likes of Absolutely Fabulous, Disco 2 and Discovery. I always think that I wouldn't have become a Pethead if I was introduced to them in 1995. That said, there was clearly stuff going on in their lives that probably necessitated that change.

Devices

#9 Post by Devices »

I'm surprised I had never noticed that Go West could have been seen as a response to Abba-esque, as was mentioned in part 2. One 70's disco remake to answer another. I had to re-listen to the original 1992 version to hear the offending synth line, and I can hear the hint of Erasure in it.

Makes me think of Neil's comment that in 1996 he was paranoid about Jarvis. I bet than in 1992 he was paranoid about Erasure.

retrofuturist

#10 Post by retrofuturist »

Greetings,
Devices wrote: Wed 16 Jun 2021, 6:16 am I bet than in 1992 he was paranoid about Erasure.
It's understandable. Take a look at their respective UK singles chart performances for singles released from 1988-1992, as the PSB "Imperial Phase" began to wane.

Erasure
Ship Of Fools - 6
Chains Of Love - 11
A Little Respect - 4
Stop / Crackers International - 2
Blue Savannah - 3
Drama - 4
You Surround Me - 15
Star - 11
Chorus - 3
Love To Hate You - 4
Am I Right? - 15
Breath Of Life - 8
Abbaesque EP - 1 (5wk)
Who Needs Love (Remix) - 10

Pet Shop Boys
Heart - 1 (3wk*)
Domino Dancing - 7
Left To My Own Devices - 4
It's Alright - 5
So Hard - 4
Being Boring - 20
Where The Streets - 4
Jealousy - 12
DJ Culture - 13
Was It Worth It? - 24

Erasure had 9 Top 10 hits in that period compared to 6 for Pet Shop Boys, and whereas Pet Shop Boys were clearly trending downward in terms of chart placings, such a trend was not so evident for Erasure whose chart decline didn't really manifest until late 1994. If you ignore Heart, and relegate that to the Actually era, it certainly doesn't make for a pretty comparison.

Erasure's prior three albums (The Innocents, Wild, and Chorus) had all topped the charts, whereas Pet Shop Boys were yet to score a number one album. Also, in the battle of singles discographies, Erasure's Pop! topped the charts at #1, whereas Discography only managed to get to #3 twelve months prior. If that differential was used as a proxy for how the British public regarded their respective achievements to date, it would be cause for some trepidation.

Meanwhile, Pet Shop Boys had done Performance, which was highly regarded but lost a fortune, whereas Erasure had been getting by fine just doing whatever low-budget, slapdash concert performances they'd been doing with Andy prancing about in a leotard.

If Neil does indeed compare himself to others in such a way, then maybe there is something to it. Against that backdrop, Very and Discovery make perfect sense - and of course Yesterday, When I Was Mad.

Retro. :)

* - updated based on correction below
Last edited by retrofuturist on Fri 18 Jun 2021, 12:02 am, edited 1 time in total.

tottenhammattspurs

#11 Post by tottenhammattspurs »

a good point made but Heart was number one for three weeks, not one.
is is and isnt isnt

Patrick Bateman

#12 Post by Patrick Bateman »

retrofuturist wrote: Wed 16 Jun 2021, 11:38 pmIt's understandable. Take a look at their respective UK singles chart performances for singles released from 1988-1992, as the PSB "Imperial Phase" began to wane.

Erasure
Ship Of Fools - 6
Chains Of Love - 11
A Little Respect - 4
Stop / Crackers International - 2
Blue Savannah - 3
Drama - 4
You Surround Me - 15
Star - 11
Chorus - 3
Love To Hate You - 4
Am I Right? - 15
Breath Of Life - 8
Abbaesque EP - 1 (5wk)
Who Needs Love (Remix) - 10

Pet Shop Boys
Heart - 1 (1wk)
Domino Dancing - 7
Left To My Own Devices - 4
It's Alright - 5
So Hard - 4
Being Boring - 20
Where The Streets - 4
Jealousy - 12
DJ Culture - 13
Was It Worth It? - 24

Erasure had 9 Top 10 hits in that period compared to 6 for Pet Shop Boys, and whereas Pet Shop Boys were clearly trending downward in terms of chart placings, such a trend was not so evident for Erasure whose chart decline didn't really manifest until late 1994. If you ignore Heart, and relegate that to the Actually era, it certainly doesn't make for a pretty comparison.

Erasure's prior three albums (The Innocents, Wild, and Chorus) had all topped the charts, whereas Pet Shop Boys were yet to score a number one album. Also, in the battle of singles discographies, Erasure's Pop! topped the charts at #1, whereas Discography only managed to get to #3 twelve months prior. If that differential was used as a proxy for how the British public regarded their respective achievements to date, it would be cause for some trepidation.

Meanwhile, Pet Shop Boys had done Performance, which was highly regarded but lost a fortune, whereas Erasure had been getting by fine just doing whatever low-budget, slapdash concert performances they'd been doing with Andy prancing about in a leotard.

If Neil does indeed compare himself to others in such a way, then maybe there is something to it. Against that backdrop, Very and Discovery make perfect sense - and of course Yesterday, When I Was Mad.
Erasure definitely had their own imperial phase of a sort but even then you can still see the later singles from albums going top twenty rather than top ten, which was what was basically happening to PSB too. And of course PSB bounced back with two fantastic top ten hits in 1993, including their very own Abba-esque. I do remember being disconcerted by Always being such a great single/video and a massive hit, while PSB were releasing Absolutely Fabulous, but it was very much their last hurrah in terms of chart domination.

PopKid78

#13 Post by PopKid78 »

At the time did Wild and Chorus, sell more than Behaviour? Also did I Say I Say I Say, sell more than Very?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Devices

#14 Post by Devices »

I don't know the UK sales for them but judging by the album chart runs it seems safe to say that Chorus outsold Behaviour and Very outsold I Say I Say I Say.

Behavior: 2-6-20-27-31-26-28-26-24-25-33-43-61
Chorus : 1-4-7-13-13-19-22-22-20-21-21-26-27-34-43-57-60-65-x-x-x-x-66-30-30-29-35-50-61

Very : 1-3-8-16-15-22-36-46-46-48-31-29-21-19-19-28-42-54-x-x-41-43-72-x-75-x-x-x-56
ISISIS: 1-4-5-18-22-31-38-40-45-35-30-31-37-49-54

This was back in the days when these groups had a decent share of more casual music fans interested in them. You can see that subsequent single releases often produced a reversal in the fall of the album down the chart. Chorus climbed from out of the top 75 to as high as #29 after the release of Breath Of Life. Very went from as low as #48 to as high as #19 after Wouldn't Normally, then returned to the chart for a week at #56 after Liberation was released.

By the time of Bilingual and Cowboy the albums were all a straight shot down the chart after release, further single releases had no measurable impact.