20 years of Further Listening

For general discussion of Pet Shop Boys topics.
daveid

20 years of Further Listening

#1 Post by daveid »

20 years ago today the first six albums were re-released. To put that in perspective, 20 years before that Neil and Chris hadn't met.

That makes perfect sense mathematically but none emotionally.

TallThinMan

Re: 20 years of Further Listening

#2 Post by TallThinMan »

It's weird to think that their biggest hits occurred during the first 8.5% of their career to date.

The Tower Records signing they held in London for the launch of the Further Listening series was the first and so far only, time I've exchanged words with a Pet Shop Boy. Chris was friendly and said "hi" as he signed my Please and Actually booklets. Neil was busy talking to someone at his side and didn't look at me as he signed. I was too starstruck to say anything other than hello.
TIERGARTEN's debut album BREAKING POINT is out now: https://linktr.ee/tiergartenmusic

Gabby

#3 Post by Gabby »

daveid wrote: Fri 04 Jun 2021, 11:45 am 20 years ago today the first six albums were re-released. To put that in perspective, 20 years before that Neil and Chris hadn't met.

That makes perfect sense mathematically but none emotionally.
Great! Now I feel old.

Time to write my will and pick out my urn I guess. 😫

StevePSB
Site Admin

#4 Post by StevePSB »

20 years since the Tower signing? Blimey... Tempus fugit.

StevePSB

jasonjohn

#5 Post by jasonjohn »

Definitely hasn't been 20 years. 10 at most, surely.

Won't hear any more of this!

oakey

#6 Post by oakey »

Time flies indeed!

They’re no different from other legacy acts though: the ‘hits’ or critical acclaim happens in the first 5-10 years, then there is a period of consolidation if you’re lucky (PSB are masters at this) or decline and/or line up changes. Then after x years there is a reunion of the orginal line up.

I am very happy the Boys are still together, very active and making great music, they and we can look back on a very consistent back catalogue in terms of quality.

telys

#7 Post by telys »

oakey wrote: Tue 08 Jun 2021, 7:08 am Time flies indeed!

They’re no different from other legacy acts though: the ‘hits’ or critical acclaim happens in the first 5-10 years, then there is a period of consolidation if you’re lucky (PSB are masters at this) or decline and/or line up changes. Then after x years there is a reunion of the orginal line up.

I am very happy the Boys are still together, very active and making great music, they and we can look back on a very consistent back catalogue in terms of quality.
They bounced back with Very after those initial 5 years. It was that "shiny pop record" Chris spoke about in PSB vs America. By then they had achieved everything a band could ever ask for (hits, recognition, the serious album, major collaborations, theatre style performance, film, rumours etc).
----
You've got me all wrong