"My beautiful laundrette" and "Cricket wife" available on streaming

For general discussion of Pet Shop Boys topics.

domino

Re: "My beautiful laundrette" and "Cricket wife" available on streaming

#2 Post by domino »

It's not available in every country yet.
A blues would be in B flat, pain defining wisdom,
but the soul is in the high hat, programmed in the system.

Dog

#3 Post by Dog »

Fantastic news
Woof.

Disco.

#4 Post by Disco. »

Not available everywhere. Maybe tomorrow?

Dog

#5 Post by Dog »

Disco. wrote:Not available everywhere. Maybe tomorrow?
It’s already available in countries where tomorrow is already today. For those of us where today is still today we will sadly have to wait until tomorrow.
Woof.

Future Lover

#6 Post by Future Lover »

Yep, I was breaking the news as early as I could, forgive me for not noting it's possibly not playable locally. New releases always become available on midnight on Fridays.

telys

#7 Post by telys »

Future Lover wrote: Thu 20 May 2021, 1:24 pm Yep, I was breaking the news as early as I could, forgive me for not noting it's possibly not playable locally. New releases always become available on midnight on Fridays.
It's unforgivable what you've done. It's so bigoted... no respect for people in other countries.
----
You've got me all wrong

y3potential

#8 Post by y3potential »

Future Lover wrote: Thu 20 May 2021, 1:24 pm Yep, I was breaking the news as early as I could, forgive me for not noting it's possibly not playable locally. New releases always become available on midnight on Fridays.
Thank you, future.. Much appreciated :up:
There is beauty in ugliness and ugliness in beauty.

retrofuturist

#9 Post by retrofuturist »

Good news, thanks for sharing Future Lover.

[ redoubles efforts to wait until Annually arrives... 8) ]

Retro. :)

jyllinge

#10 Post by jyllinge »

Thanks for the heads up. While Digitalstores has thrown away my copy of annually then I am happy to finally hear the cricket wife track.

Im super grateful for the digital release - next thing will be epub release of annually, so we all can be on the same page.

canveyboy

#11 Post by canveyboy »

So there goes the exclusivity of the CW and TBL CDs!!

I felt like I had something special with those CDs - that the general public couldn’t have or hear - I had paid a special price to get the exclusive.

But now…I don’t have anything special or exclusive as it’s now on general release. Great for people who missed out on the CD though so there are some winners!!
Its taken me all of my life to find you

Dog

#12 Post by Dog »

canveyboy wrote:So there goes the exclusivity of the CW and TBL CDs!!

I felt like I had something special with those CDs - that the general public couldn’t have or hear - I had paid a special price to get the exclusive.

But now…I don’t have anything special or exclusive as it’s now on general release. Great for people who missed out on the CD though so there are some winners!!
You will have to see it that you exclusively own it on CD. I don’t really understand the notion of wanting to have something exclusively. I was happy to buy the CD but prefer to have the tracks available on Streaming where I can listen to them alongside other music. I wish they would add more of their catalogue, particularly remixes.

I wonder if Cricket wife will be released on vinyl?
Woof.

Future Lover

#13 Post by Future Lover »

I've grown to like "Cricket wife" a bit, especially compared to their other classical-adjacent pieces. I can only hope it'll be re-recorded for eventual album inclusion.

canveyboy

Re:

#14 Post by canveyboy »

Dog wrote: Fri 21 May 2021, 10:06 am
canveyboy wrote:So there goes the exclusivity of the CW and TBL CDs!!

You will have to see it that you exclusively own it on CD. I don’t really understand the notion of wanting to have something exclusively. I was happy to buy the CD but prefer to have the tracks available on Streaming where I can listen to them alongside other music. I wish they would add more of their catalogue, particularly remixes.

I wonder if Cricket wife will be released on vinyl?
Yeah I guess you’re right - it’s nice to own the CD as an exclusive I guess. I don’t mean to sound precious at all. But I like that we have Relentless on CD and it’s only available on CD. It’s rare. I guess that’s what I’m trying to compare it too. I like that to hear it you had to buy it. And still do. Still, everyone’s a winner as they say!
Its taken me all of my life to find you

DopeFiend

#15 Post by DopeFiend »

Some people are pretty salty about this,
"time to stop hunting exclusive music via ‘Annually’...everything is released, actually!! 😕"
"This is poor - we were told these tracks were exclusive with Annually only…"
"never buying Annually again."

And I agree. Before my copy of Annually has even arrived it has significantly dropped in value since the CD is now online.
Why, why, why did they say it was exclusive.
Same with Laundrette, saying it's exclusive.

In my view, they were making these tracks exclusive because they're not as good as general releases. In arguments I could say, "don't worry, PSB know it's a bit dodgey so that's why they've released it quietly only to the most dedicated fans".
I've seen a lot of people say they never want to hear Cricket Wife more than once. Even people on this forum say they can't listen past the first couple minutes because it's so poor. (My quick opinion, the song is poor but it works in it's favour as it makes the theme seem empty and unfortunate. The expanded length makes it seem unfinished and imperfect, invoking some fairly moving interpretations not just to the lyrics but the overall vibe and sound.)

Here's what I say, either release these:
- Digitally at midnight to coincide with Annually
- Digitally later on, but don't say it's exclusive to drive up sales.
- Actually exclusive to Annually, ala Record Store Day singles. Once off pressing.

I remember they said Annually 2021 would also include a bumper section of fans questions, I've read that apparently that's missing from it too. I'll wait until I get my copy but so far it seems like a con job.

If they're going to publish previously unavailable material on digital platforms, do the singles from 1985 through to 1998.
Even casual fans will benefit from the 80's singles being made available.