This is what I would like to see on the next PSB tour

For general discussion of Pet Shop Boys topics.
telys

This is what I would like to see on the next PSB tour

#1 Post by telys »

This performance of It's alright is perfection. And so uplifting, the message of the song really gets through. Heaps of musicians and singers. It's going to be alright as long as the music plays.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fzvRmFJ_aUA

I would like to see something like this on the next PSB tour. A bunch of singers, an orchestra, extra musicians (guitars, percussion, keyboards) and guest artists coming and going. Like the Concrete concert but more and a whole tour.
----
You've got me all wrong

Future Lover

Re: This is what I would like to see on the next PSB tour

#2 Post by Future Lover »

Definitely more dancers in skimpy outfits, kissing. Yeah. Didn't read the opening post, just riffing with the thread title.

psbfannyc

#3 Post by psbfannyc »

telys wrote: Wed 19 May 2021, 9:21 am This performance of It's alright is perfection. And so uplifting, the message of the song really gets through. Heaps of musicians and singers. It's going to be alright as long as the music plays.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fzvRmFJ_aUA

I would like to see something like this on the next PSB tour. A bunch of singers, an orchestra, extra musicians (guitars, percussion, keyboards) and guest artists coming and going. Like the Concrete concert but more and a whole tour.
Thanks for posting this. I forgot I went to this and I can see myself in the crowd. This was the tribute to Trevor Horn show....I met Grace Jones and Seal that evening. Fun times.

Greendrake

#4 Post by Greendrake »

The content of this post has been reserved by the author due to the unprecedented, categorical and peremptory exercise of censorship that took place on 20 May 2021.

Whereas this content can be restored, the author neither intends to do so, nor to publish any further posts to avoid any possible perception as "passive agressive", "pointless", "unhelpful", "homophobic" or "bigoted".
Last edited by Greendrake on Fri 21 May 2021, 3:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.

leesmapman

#5 Post by leesmapman »

2004 (11 november). I was there too, first time I saw PSB live. It was in Wembly Arena, London.

Greendrake

#6 Post by Greendrake »

The content of this post has been reserved by the author due to the unprecedented, categorical and peremptory exercise of censorship that took place on 20 May 2021.

Whereas this content can be restored, the author neither intends to do so, nor to publish any further posts to avoid any possible perception as "passive agressive", "pointless", "unhelpful", "homophobic" or "bigoted".

DopeFiend

#7 Post by DopeFiend »

I've always thought this performance felt a bit "off".
I much prefer the current style of crazy artistic outfits, bright colours, dancers instead of instruments.
I mean look how dead the audience is in that video. It's really outdated to have all of that kit on the stage, like you're trying to impress the audience with how much money can be wasted on gear most people aren't skilled enough to use.
Concerts are meant to be fun. Less is more. An example, I absolutely love the Electric rendition of Rent with the cyber dancers behind the silk projected screen and the new, energised mix of the song. Same deal with pretty much all of the Electric and Super songs. Pandemonium did it a bit too.
Basically make it like a kid's show. Bright colours and lots of movement. It's a damn synth pop band for god sake.

I saw this video yesterday without really watching, it sounds pretty good but IMO the track is hard to get wrong. I'm assuming OP is mainly focused on the staging and visuals.

Oh, and another thing. Audience participation.
Honestly that is just priceless. They did it a lot in the Super Tour. Home & Dry ambient mix has every waving their phones slowly, honestly that gives me chills when I see it.
Domino Dancing, the audience sings chorus. It goes on.
The gig OP posted has a real separation with the audience.
There's no irony or wit, they look like they're in a high classic restaurant. You can hardly tell the music is euphoric 80's house/pop from the way it's presented. It's like they're demanding to be taken seriously in a very boring way.

If anything, they should go more cheesy, more tacky. Bring back wigs, get Chris more involved. Bring some surprises like a new live-exclusive cover song.
Break new ground! I'm sure they could do something we can't even imagine, something they haven't done before. (even if it's been done by other artists)
Make it flashy, collaborate with young artists. People are going to film bits of the concert to put on social media, it has to be attention-grabbing and fun for the short videos people will share.

I couldn't disagree more strongly with OP. He's basically saying the same thing as PSB should re-do the Release period with zero anything and just real musical instruments, boring casual clothing, no dancers, etc. Outrageous.

Greendrake

#8 Post by Greendrake »

telys

#9 Post by telys »

DopeFiend wrote: Wed 19 May 2021, 12:18 pm I've always thought this performance felt a bit "off".
I much prefer the current style of crazy artistic outfits, bright colours, dancers instead of instruments.
I mean look how dead the audience is in that video. It's really outdated to have all of that kit on the stage, like you're trying to impress the audience with how much money can be wasted on gear most people aren't skilled enough to use.
Concerts are meant to be fun. Less is more. An example, I absolutely love the Electric rendition of Rent with the cyber dancers behind the silk projected screen and the new, energised mix of the song. Same deal with pretty much all of the Electric and Super songs. Pandemonium did it a bit too.
Basically make it like a kid's show. Bright colours and lots of movement. It's a damn synth pop band for god sake.

I saw this video yesterday without really watching, it sounds pretty good but IMO the track is hard to get wrong. I'm assuming OP is mainly focused on the staging and visuals.

Oh, and another thing. Audience participation.
Honestly that is just priceless. They did it a lot in the Super Tour. Home & Dry ambient mix has every waving their phones slowly, honestly that gives me chills when I see it.
Domino Dancing, the audience sings chorus. It goes on.
The gig OP posted has a real separation with the audience.
There's no irony or wit, they look like they're in a high classic restaurant. You can hardly tell the music is euphoric 80's house/pop from the way it's presented. It's like they're demanding to be taken seriously in a very boring way.

If anything, they should go more cheesy, more tacky. Bring back wigs, get Chris more involved. Bring some surprises like a new live-exclusive cover song.
Break new ground! I'm sure they could do something we can't even imagine, something they haven't done before. (even if it's been done by other artists)
Make it flashy, collaborate with young artists. People are going to film bits of the concert to put on social media, it has to be attention-grabbing and fun for the short videos people will share.

I couldn't disagree more strongly with OP. He's basically saying the same thing as PSB should re-do the Release period with zero anything and just real musical instruments, boring casual clothing, no dancers, etc. Outrageous.
So you basically want it to be dumb. Some silly lights and som guys in weird costumes. That's ok. Dumb it down. I guess it's the zeitgeist talking. I prefer to watch musicians doing their craft on stage. I know PSB could do it.
Why not have a guy losing his pants, slipping on a banana and being attacked by a monkey at the same time. Some more dumbness while we're at it.
----
You've got me all wrong

retrofuturist

#10 Post by retrofuturist »

Greetings,
telys wrote: Wed 19 May 2021, 12:47 pm Why not have a guy losing his pants, slipping on a banana and being attacked by a monkey at the same time.
Well, that's the choreography for Monkey Business sorted. 🐒

Retro. :)

telys

#11 Post by telys »

retrofuturist wrote: Thu 20 May 2021, 4:39 am Greetings,
telys wrote: Wed 19 May 2021, 12:47 pm Why not have a guy losing his pants, slipping on a banana and being attacked by a monkey at the same time.
Well, that's the choreography for Monkey Business sorted. 🐒
Yep. Basically I don't want to see any choreography on the next tour. Only music. And lots of people on stage. The PSB orchestra. They've done the same stuff now for over 30 years. Some theatrical staging, dancers, some coloured shapes and screen videos. The Release tour didn't have enough instruments and people on stage.
----
You've got me all wrong

Dog

#12 Post by Dog »

telys wrote:
Well, that's the choreography for Monkey Business sorted. Image
Yep. Basically I don't want to see any choreography on the next tour. Only music. And lots of people on stage. The PSB orchestra. They've done the same stuff now for over 30 years. Some theatrical staging, dancers, some coloured shapes and screen videos. The Release tour didn't have enough instruments and people on stage.
To be fair there was hardly any choreography on the Super tour. Dancers were replaced by musicians.

The number of people they’ve taken on tour has stayed pretty static since Pandemonium. Costs are obviously a factor. Any kind of orchestra and the associated ticket prices would price out the average fan.
Woof.

telys

#13 Post by telys »

Dog wrote: Thu 20 May 2021, 8:38 am
telys wrote:

Well, that's the choreography for Monkey Business sorted. Image
To be fair there was hardly any choreography on the Super tour. Dancers were replaced by musicians.

The number of people they’ve taken on tour has stayed pretty static since Pandemonium. Costs are obviously a factor. Any kind of orchestra and the associated ticket prices would price out the average fan.
Online streaming, payperview. I wouldn't want to go to the concert anyway, I just want to enjoy it at home with a cup of hot tea, good sound quality and HD.
----
You've got me all wrong

Greendrake

#14 Post by Greendrake »