The PSB vault

For general discussion of Pet Shop Boys topics.
daveid

Re: The PSB vault

#16 Post by daveid »

eastendboy wrote: Thu 13 May 2021, 3:58 pm Finally is it just me, the sound on the dvd and cd of the discovery tour is just not punchy enough. Of course I play it loud and maybe the mix from the mixing desk rather than the tv broadcast could have been better? Maybe it’s down to costs as it was filmed and they boys probably said that will do,
Glad you mentioned this. I don't think the sound quality is good at all. I was hoping maybe it might be better on the CD but no.

telys

#17 Post by telys »

daveid wrote: Thu 13 May 2021, 4:29 pm
eastendboy wrote: Thu 13 May 2021, 3:58 pm Finally is it just me, the sound on the dvd and cd of the discovery tour is just not punchy enough. Of course I play it loud and maybe the mix from the mixing desk rather than the tv broadcast could have been better? Maybe it’s down to costs as it was filmed and they boys probably said that will do,
Glad you mentioned this. I don't think the sound quality is good at all. I was hoping maybe it might be better on the CD but no.
Call it performance, call it art, I call it disaster
----
You've got me all wrong

glennjridge

#18 Post by glennjridge »

I'm still waiting on China, Mid-life crisis and she's in love with the man she married".

theres a bunch of unreleased songs we had heard of thru interviews....and its possible to easily think if the songs were held back and unreleased they must be terrible , but the ones I had heard of.....when I finally heard them I was pleasantly surprised at their quality.

such as I had heard of the existence of we're all criminals now, the dead can dance" white dress long before I got them. so when I did finally hear them and enjoy them, it makes me wonder how many other good tunes they have in the vaults we would also love.

jasonjohn

#19 Post by jasonjohn »

I'm still hoping the music for Bubadubadubadum gets used at some point

It's so electro 80s, shame to waste it. Perhaps round off the lyrics a little to make it sound less like Neil feeling horny.

daveid

#20 Post by daveid »

In the club or in the queue is the one I want to see released. And Bounce too. That demo is just too good to be unreleased.

hotspotnot

#21 Post by hotspotnot »

It would make a great EP to have some of these really old tracks updated

Dog

#22 Post by Dog »

I think it’s understandable that they take a clear view on what is and isn’t of releasable quality. It’s equally understandable that as fans we would like them to have a more liberal policy. But their quality control has been one of the reasons we’ve come to respect them as artists and enjoy their catalogue so much over the years. If they suddenly issued a six CD set of demos, we’d pick out a couple of favourites and then no doubt decide the rest was below average. We should be confident that ultimately they’ll mine or revisit anything that’s worth them doing so. Neil’s often said that there isn’t much that’s actually recorded, finished and any good. I am sure the long list of song titles we salivate over in Annually belies a more underwhelming truth, and that any “vault” is more likely a few floppy disks and folders than a glittering Farrow designed strongroom.
Woof.

telys

#23 Post by telys »

Dog wrote: Fri 14 May 2021, 2:43 pm I think it’s understandable that they take a clear view on what is and isn’t of releasable quality. It’s equally understandable that as fans we would like them to have a more liberal policy. But their quality control has been one of the reasons we’ve come to respect them as artists and enjoy their catalogue so much over the years. If they suddenly issued a six CD set of demos, we’d pick out a couple of favourites and then no doubt decide the rest was below average. We should be confident that ultimately they’ll mine or revisit anything that’s worth them doing so. Neil’s often said that there isn’t much that’s actually recorded, finished and any good. I am sure the long list of song titles we salivate over in Annually belies a more underwhelming truth, and that any “vault” is more likely a few floppy disks and folders than a glittering Farrow designed strongroom.
I think you are wrong. We're not just talking about demoes and unreleased songs. There are also lots of alternative mixes. Like the original version of I want a lover or the the first finished version of It's a sin before Hagues additional production, or the whole of Very before Hagues additional production. Or just simply instrumental versions of all the albums. The list of material of "master quality" is immense even without unreleased songs on the demo stage. And then of course all the live versions.
----
You've got me all wrong

glennjridge

#24 Post by glennjridge »

in a weird sort of way box sets with loads of unreleased songs and mixes/alternate versions are kind of sad. I feel like the artist has then given totally of everything they have, and they have no more surprises. but I still want one!