The PSB vault

For general discussion of Pet Shop Boys topics.
telys

The PSB vault

#1 Post by telys »

Prince had his famous vault with some 8000 songs (enough material for a millenium of albums).

Where is the PSB vault? and what's in it? and does it exist? will we ever get something more out of it than the FL-editions? and if N&C don't open it in the future, who will?

There are least a dozen concerts, heaps of high quality demoes, remixes and edits. I bet a lot of it is of at least low-master quality,i e good enough for the truckdriver and his mate.
----
You've got me all wrong

le petit corbusier

Re: The PSB vault

#2 Post by le petit corbusier »

According to Chris, only the master quality (meaning that Neil likes them) are to be released. So I wouldn't count on it.

Enviado desde mi M2007J17G mediante Tapatalk

Look left, then right
And run for your life

daveid

#3 Post by daveid »

le petit corbusier wrote: Wed 12 May 2021, 10:04 am According to Chris, only the master quality (meaning that Neil likes them) are to be released. So I wouldn't count on it.

Enviado desde mi M2007J17G mediante Tapatalk
So Neil is the master and he decides!

There is plenty of room for more deluxe editions. Think of the various extended mixes and demos that haven't been released particularly from the first batch of FLs when the one bonus disc policy restricted things. The omission of Indefinite leave to remain demo is baffling (obviously that was the second batch of reissues but same principle)

retrofuturist

#4 Post by retrofuturist »

Greetings,

I'm still perplexed that You've Got To Start Somewhere didn't make the grade for Nightlife Further Listening, even when there was so much unused space on the FL discs. If that falls below Neil's quality threshold, don't expect much else to come out officially from "the vault".

Retro. :)
"Politics are too emotional now. Contemporary culture generally is too emotional, really... I'd rather people looked to the truth." (Neil Tennant)

OakeyDokey

#5 Post by OakeyDokey »

You just can't simmer down....The New Boy in town suggests Neil still likes to hold things back and revisit them periodically. But superdeluxes of the albums, particularly up to Bilingual, would do good business.

Still can't believe they just repressed the Further Listenings a couple of years ago instead of "everything but the kitchen sink" box-set reissues. As that's where the physical music market is now - expensive, luxury boxes with vinyl usually front and centre.

MikeyC

#6 Post by MikeyC »

retrofuturist wrote: Wed 12 May 2021, 12:37 pm Greetings,

I'm still perplexed that You've Got To Start Somewhere didn't make the grade for Nightlife Further Listening, even when there was so much unused space on the FL discs. If that falls below Neil's quality threshold, don't expect much else to come out officially from "the vault".

I asked Neil about this track while getting my “Catalogue” signed after the Fundamental Tour in ‘06: he said they weren’t happy with the lyrics! (Also, much of the melody/music has been used in The Most Incredible Thing.) 😎

telys

#7 Post by telys »

MikeyC wrote: Wed 12 May 2021, 7:00 pm

I asked Neil about this track while getting my “Catalogue” signed after the Fundamental Tour in ‘06: he said they weren’t happy with the lyrics! (Also, much of the melody/music has been used in The Most Incredible Thing.) 😎
Which part of TMIT?
----
You've got me all wrong

Propertius

#8 Post by Propertius »

There's scads and scads of stuff, as back issues of Literally have informed us. And as the Further Listenings have shown, there are recordings that aren't even known from the recording diaries in Literally. The fates of "You've Got to Start Somewhere" and "In the Club or in the Queue" show that the Boys are highly selective about what they'll let out, but they also show that some of the material that doesn't meat their standards is excellent as far as the fans are concerned.

And yes, Neil does like to revisit old cassettes and recordings, not only as suggested by "New Boy" but also as the re-appropriation of bits of the original "I get excited" demo for that one Laundrette song shows.

It's one thing for the Boys to hold onto a big unreleased archive while they're alive, though. Once they're gone, what would be the point of the estates keeping that stuff around, if not to release it? And while Neil and Chris aren't ready for curtains yet, they're old enough to think about estate planning. The unreleased and uncompiled material is valuable if it eventually gets a release, and it can pepper another round of album reissues -- which is what we see other acts doing -- but it's a drain on resources if it gets preserved but not released. No estate is going to go for that.

So I expect much more is going to come out eventually, and the question is whether the Boys will release it themselves or permit their estates to do if after they're gone. Maybe they even have a "first to go" clause that will let the other one decide what to do with the archive when he's the only one left, which seems like it would be fair. The alternative would be just to delete and destroy everything they consider not up to their present standards, but that seems more like the KLF, not PBS. The latter know that even the things that aren't quite good enough are, in fact, very, very good and very creditable, as long as they're treated as deuterocanonical rather than as the main canon.

leesmapman

#9 Post by leesmapman »

Don't forget Burn which was a track called Nu Sleaze, and they found in the vaults.

OakeyDokey

#10 Post by OakeyDokey »

Deuterocanonical....think the doctor diagnosed me with that before.

MikeyC

#11 Post by MikeyC »

telys wrote: Wed 12 May 2021, 7:48 pm

Which part of TMIT?
Starting at 1:15 in “The Competition” - it’s the introduction to YGTSS! x

daveid

#12 Post by daveid »

MikeyC wrote: Wed 12 May 2021, 9:56 pm
telys wrote: Wed 12 May 2021, 7:48 pm

Which part of TMIT?
Starting at 1:15 in “The Competition” - it’s the introduction to YGTSS! x
The Competition also incorporates the music from "You're the exception that proves the rule"

eastendboy

#13 Post by eastendboy »

I’m sure there was plenty more that could have been released on the FL discs but Neil did not think that certain songs should not be released as either not studio quality or just embarrassed about certain songs.

I have posted before about reprints of t-shorts as Carter USM are doing this and it’s proving to be really popular.

1989 tour will be released at some point and maybe bonus rehearsal footage. I’ve still got projections vhs of the films so imagine this will be on a 2nd disc.

Finally is it just me, the sound on the dvd and cd of the discovery tour is just not punchy enough. Of course I play it loud and maybe the mix from the mixing desk rather than the tv broadcast could have been better? Maybe it’s down to costs as it was filmed and they boys probably said that will do,

eastendboy

#14 Post by eastendboy »

Meant to say t-shirts, I blame the typo on the train I’m currently on.

Old Soak

#15 Post by Old Soak »

The key date is 50 years - if a track, or a version of a track included demos, early takes, live versions etc hasn't officially been released it's in the public domain. That's why you are currently getting things like the super deluxe John Lennon/Plastic Ono Band which is a treasure trove because releasing now at significant cost not only rakes in the money it extends copyright by 20 further years. The exception is EU rules on radio concerts - deemed as 'In the public domain' when first broadcast, which is why there's so much about by so many artists. Which intrigues me why this stuff isn't already 'out there' legally. I can't identify a waiting time, but most stuff seems to be 60's and 70's stuff currently, it certainly isn't a 50 year wait for whoever wants to print up a CD legally.
And at the end/ Your funny Uncle staring / At all your friends / With military bearing