Cricket Wife ratings

For general discussion of Pet Shop Boys topics.

Cricket Wife

15%
2%
21%
17%
8%
8%
4%
6%
2, 1, 0
19%

Total votes: 52

Nickname

Cricket Wife ratings

#1 Post by Nickname »

oakey

Re: Cricket Wife ratings

#2 Post by oakey »

Finally found the time to listen to it. It’s actually better than I thought based on initials reactions. It’s not a classical music track though, more like a mini musical. I get the Les Miz comments and there is some Potemkin (and even Star Wars) in it. Nice experiment but I doubt I will listen to it very often, like other “interesting” songs (eg Sound of the Atom Splitting).

oakey

#3 Post by oakey »

double
Last edited by oakey on Sun 09 May 2021, 9:59 am, edited 1 time in total.

oakey

#4 Post by oakey »

7/10 for me

Eleven

#5 Post by Eleven »

The top line is great, the music and 10 minutes musical theatre is what makes me vote a 4, this chord progression and vocal with a cool rhythm would be easy an 8, but I wont be listen to this version

Nickname

#6 Post by Nickname »

You are rating the song with a 7, 8, saying you are not going to listen to it again too much. It's a bit strange.

spacewalker

#7 Post by spacewalker »

I don’t quite like how Neil’s vocals blend with music, other than that it’s good.

oakey

#8 Post by oakey »

Nickname wrote: Sun 09 May 2021, 12:32 pm You are rating the song with a 7, 8, saying you are not going to listen to it again too much. It's a bit strange.
That’s because it is not a bad track, but not something I will listen too often. I have so many music, imlossible to listen to most of it very often

Old Soak

#9 Post by Old Soak »

8/10 from me. They could be like Erasure, rehash the same plinky-plonk style for 30+ years and rest on their laurels on the "80's memories" circuit like T'Pau, Human League, OMD, Tears For Fears, Tony Hadley et al. Instead they release something deep like this.

Forever evolving, forever surprising, forever fresh, occasionally challenging, and often pushing the envelope of what many other bands from that era have given up on.
And at the end/ Your funny Uncle staring / At all your friends / With military bearing

Synthrobot

#10 Post by Synthrobot »

4 out of 10 for me. I tried to listen to it a second time yesterday, and couldn't be bothered to get to the end. Nice to have a new track, but this just isn't great.

Sithblade

#11 Post by Sithblade »

oakey wrote:Finally found the time to listen to it. It’s actually better than I thought based on initials reactions. It’s not a classical music track though, more like a mini musical. I get the Les Miz comments and there is some Potemkin (and even Star Wars) in it. Nice experiment but I doubt I will listen to it very often, like other “interesting” songs (eg Sound of the Atom Splitting).
The bit with just the drum bang is very reminiscent of the beginning of Revenge of the Sith.

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

lucienchardon

#12 Post by lucienchardon »

I've been listening to it a lot since yesterday. I find both the music and the lyrics fascinating. So I gave it a 10.

wieske

#13 Post by wieske »

lucienchardon wrote: Sun 09 May 2021, 3:51 pm I've been listening to it a lot since yesterday. I find both the music and the lyrics fascinating. So I gave it a 10.
I fully agree. I gave the song a 10 as well. At several moments it brought me even to tears. The orchestration, the production, the lyrics... Cricket Wife is a real piece of art! If this is the direction Pet Shop Boys wants to go out with the theatre play they wrote, then I'm a very happy guy.

(A lot of people call the song one of the darkest songs the boys ever wrote. I don't see it this way at all. I would rather say one of the most touching and emotional songs they ever wrote. That suits better I think...)
Don't give me all your northern pain
Don't sell me New York in the rain
Let's leave our promises behind
Rewind and try again

Spittingcat

#14 Post by Spittingcat »

Can I increase the rating I gave? This gets better and better with every listen.

We really shouldn’t be having these polls so soon after a track is released, should we?

glennjridge

#15 Post by glennjridge »

Another GREAT set of lyrics by Neil, and the music in certain segments is actually really beautiful and moving especially when Neil weaves his vocals over it. it gets a tad too whimsical for me in certain parts, but overall I love this.

these guys have zero fear of experimenting and giving us things that can be outside the box. they could have just banged out a pop song, which I wish they had..ha ha, but this is a nice surprise. I dont agree though with a couple people who said they feel the vocal seems disconnected to the music, I thought it was proper in its execution.

also thanks for the ability to listen to this.