"Cricket Wife" initial commentary

For general discussion of Pet Shop Boys topics.
Nickname

Re: "Cricket Wife" initial commentary

#16 Post by Nickname »

geowayne wrote: Thu 06 May 2021, 7:53 pm For those of you who are interested, I've taken my first crack at interpreting this complex, challenging new PSB song. You can read what I have to say about it on my "Commentary" website, specifically at http://www.geowayne.com/newDesign/other/cricketwife.htm. SPOILER ALERT! If you'd rather not read anything about it before you've received your copy and can hear it for yourself, then please DON'T click on that link!
I think there is something wrong about your text. You are talking about Neil's perspective but I think it was and idea from the mother of Chris.

Steve Fett

#17 Post by Steve Fett »

It's certainly different - reminds me of something from Les Miserables. One listen was enough for me...
what a performance tonight, should I react or turn off the light ?

geowayne

#18 Post by geowayne »

Nickname wrote: Fri 07 May 2021, 2:29 pm
geowayne wrote: Thu 06 May 2021, 7:53 pm For those of you who are interested, I've taken my first crack at interpreting this complex, challenging new PSB song. You can read what I have to say about it on my "Commentary" website, specifically at http://www.geowayne.com/newDesign/other/cricketwife.htm. SPOILER ALERT! If you'd rather not read anything about it before you've received your copy and can hear it for yourself, then please DON'T click on that link!
I think there is something wrong about your text. You are talking about Neil's perspective but I think it was and idea from the mother of Chris.
As I understand it, Chris's mother inspired the music, suggesting to him to compose something more "classical" in nature. But I believe it was Neil's mother who may have inspired the lyrics.

One of the crowd

#19 Post by One of the crowd »

Steve Fett wrote: Fri 07 May 2021, 2:40 pm It's certainly different - reminds me of something from Les Miserables. One listen was enough for me...
I managed to get to 5 mins 48 seconds.

I assume it didnt get any better after that.
Did Zoe Ball let something slip today? (31:01:24)

ChoonHound

#20 Post by ChoonHound »

If it was good they wouldn’t have released it this way. The boys aren’t dumb.
I sincerely *love* Disco 2 and listen to it straight through regularly.

geowayne

#21 Post by geowayne »

Luke Colorado wrote: Fri 07 May 2021, 6:17 pm If it was good they wouldn’t have released it this way. The boys aren’t dumb.
I think it all depends on what we mean by "good." If we mean "commercial" or having mass appeal, then, no, it's not very good. But if we mean something that's more artistically ambitious, something that challenges them (and their listeners), and can be quite moving, then I think it is quite good. I appreciate the fact that they don't feel constrained -- that they feel free enough to create and release something like this. And, you're right, releasing it as a "bonus" with Actually 2021 is probably the right way to handle it.

ChoonHound

#22 Post by ChoonHound »

Relentless was both good and ambitious. It sounds like this (I haven’t heard it) is not.
I sincerely *love* Disco 2 and listen to it straight through regularly.

Synthrobot

#23 Post by Synthrobot »

It's, erm, OK, I think, I actually quite like the music towards the end, very beautiful, but it is a bit of a chore to get all the way through it, like this sentence.

Old Soak

#24 Post by Old Soak »

I have to say as someone who has only started appreciating the wonders of Thomas Newman in the last couple of months I'm right into ersatz classical, so this is perfectly timed. Arrived 90 minutes ago, latest my postman has ever called. The sheer pleasure of a new, unheard PSB track was still there. No, it's not an instant floor filler, it's challenging and stretching. Neil and Chris have always taken unexpected detours, but moreso recently (Agenda anyone?). Why complain? I'd rather an artist does side projects and keep recording after trying something fresh than get bored pumping out the same old same old and decide to pack in through boredom.

A very sad song, would be beautiful fully orchestrated, and very 'English' too - extremely evocative of that rose coloured view of 1950's England, although the track's time shifting suggests the 'Whole life flashing before you' moment and remembering the happiest, most peaceful things. Which brings me neatly back to Thomas Newman and Lester's 'Dead Already' experience at the start of 'American Beauty'.
And at the end/ Your funny Uncle staring / At all your friends / With military bearing

Spittingcat

#25 Post by Spittingcat »

tottenhammattspurs wrote: Fri 07 May 2021, 2:23 pm It’s sounds like something Divine Comedy would do.

Have you heard “In May”? It’s a musical “play”, and absolutely in the same vein as this track. Very moving. Highly recommended.

As for this track… I like the music, and the vocals, but they don’t quite sit together for me yet. The vocals are far too prominent and “on top of” the music for me… too loud and push the music into “background” status, when it would be more interesting (to me) for it to be the focus.

Patrick Bateman

#26 Post by Patrick Bateman »

Spittingcat wrote: Fri 07 May 2021, 7:57 pmAs for this track… I like the music, and the vocals, but they don’t quite sit together for me yet. The vocals are far too prominent and “on top of” the music for me… too loud and push the music into “background” status, when it would be more interesting (to me) for it to be the focus.
I agree. The vocals and music seem overly detached.

Dog

#27 Post by Dog »

Patrick Bateman wrote:
Spittingcat wrote: Fri 07 May 2021, 7:57 pmAs for this track… I like the music, and the vocals, but they don’t quite sit together for me yet. The vocals are far too prominent and “on top of” the music for me… too loud and push the music into “background” status, when it would be more interesting (to me) for it to be the focus.
It definitely embodies the pandemic - the product of two isolated people attempting to collaborate. The musical equivalent of shouting “you’re on mute” for 12 months.
Woof.

daveid

#28 Post by daveid »

Given its interminable length of play and lack of interest, I can only imagine the wife in question is Geoff Boycott's.

Old Soak

Re:

#29 Post by Old Soak »

Dog wrote: Fri 07 May 2021, 8:35 pm
Patrick Bateman wrote:
It definitely embodies the pandemic - the product of two isolated people attempting to collaborate. The musical equivalent of shouting “you’re on mute” for 12 months.
I thought they both lived alone, so could easily be in each other's 'bubble' to meet up indoors legally? I'm surprised there's not more given the number of artists who've managed to write, produce and release whole albums in lockdown - Paul McCartney, Kylie, Nick Cave, Van Morrison; and loads of today's pretenders to the throne who I instantly forget but still managed to get a gig on Later...
And at the end/ Your funny Uncle staring / At all your friends / With military bearing

Dog

#30 Post by Dog »

Old Soak wrote:
Dog wrote: Fri 07 May 2021, 8:35 pm
Patrick Bateman wrote: I agree. The vocals and music seem overly detached.
I thought they both lived alone, so could easily be in each other's 'bubble' to meet up indoors legally? I'm surprised there's not more given the number of artists who've managed to write, produce and release whole albums in lockdown - Paul McCartney, Kylie, Nick Cave, Van Morrison; and loads of today's pretenders to the throne who I instantly forget but still managed to get a gig on Later...
It sound as though Chris had understandably opted to be in a bubble with his mother so maybe that limited their options.
Woof.