"Cricket Wife" initial commentary

For general discussion of Pet Shop Boys topics.
Andie

Re: "Cricket Wife" initial commentary

#61 Post by Andie »

oakey wrote: Mon 10 May 2021, 6:52 am Its on vimeo
https://vimeo.com/search?q=pet%20shop%2 ... ket%20wife
Thanks oakey 8) My order from the OS will be at least another two-weeks. It was great to hear it after just reading the lyrics.
Don’t be scared, for only the dark can show you the stars

Andie

#62 Post by Andie »

Old Soak wrote: Mon 10 May 2021, 10:48 am OMG, finally got opportunity with the house to myself to hear it at decent volume, I've bawled. The early part is is just so redolent of a confused person with dementia put in a care home reacting to the unfamiliar. Later it's from the afterlife following death and release, looking back in those final moments at happy memories flashing by and finally reunited with a partner long gone and sorely missed. Neil's disembodied voice is as from what's beyond. Powerful stuff that those just skimming the surface and going 'meh' need to dig into, and which perhaps you'll appreciate with greater age and life experience. This is a masterwork, and I've lifted to 10/10 from initial assessment with familiarity. HappySad. Release.
You pretty much summed up exactly how I saw it, after hearing it on Vimeo, thanks to oakey. When I first read the lyrics, I immediately thought of someone with dementia, who was now in care & very confused. The latter part is showing flashbacks of clarity to past events, then finally reunited with their partner. At least that's how I interpret it. I'm giving it 10/10
Don’t be scared, for only the dark can show you the stars

Lleonard Pler

#63 Post by Lleonard Pler »

It's on Spotify now.

What a strange song. It's like Legacy but weirder, longer and more accomplished I guess.

Gabby

#64 Post by Gabby »

Better than "Legacy" by a country mile but I can see the similarity.

I've literally only just heard it (once) and it is a challenging listen but I kind of liked it. Could see a contemporary dance piece being done with it that tells the story behind the lyric.

A nice addition for this years Literally.

West End Girls lockdown mix is brill too.

chrissyboy

#65 Post by chrissyboy »

It’s taken me a couple of listens but I now find Cricket Wife absolutely gorgeous. The lyrics are so emotional and the music just beautiful. Stunning.

Page Hall City Boy

#66 Post by Page Hall City Boy »

Awful
but it would be a boring place if we all agreed having said that im a big fan of Sound of The Atom Splitting so......... :)

leesmapman

#67 Post by leesmapman »

Gabby wrote: Fri 21 May 2021, 11:04 pm Better than "Legacy" by a country mile but I can see the similarity.

I've literally only just heard it (once) and it is a challenging listen but I kind of liked it. Could see a contemporary dance piece being done with it that tells the story behind the lyric.

Page Hall City Boy wrote: Mon 24 May 2021, 4:51 pm Awful
but it would be a boring place if we all agreed having said that im a big fan of Sound of The Atom Splitting so......... :)
I thought these were the same person and why they were contradicting themselves. but they just have the same avatar :-)

Gabby

#68 Post by Gabby »

leesmapman wrote: Mon 24 May 2021, 5:33 pm
Gabby wrote: Fri 21 May 2021, 11:04 pm Better than "Legacy" by a country mile but I can see the similarity.

Page Hall City Boy wrote: Mon 24 May 2021, 4:51 pm Awful
I thought these were the same person and why they were contradicting themselves. but they just have the same avatar :-)
Is this better?

Nickname

#70 Post by Nickname »

The Sound of the Autumn Splitting and Legacy are better than this depressing song.

Brasa

#71 Post by Brasa »

I don't agree with most of the negative opinions, I found more intestings sounds and ideas in this track than in the whole hotspot album.
I love their experimental works because they bring out their creative side, while in most album I have the feeling they're making the music that fans are expecting: all the recent albums (but electric) have a manneristic taste.

bongsteve

#72 Post by bongsteve »

I've never understood the dislike for Legacy...I've always enjoyed it. Yeah, it's different but not Sound of the Atom Splitting different. Still very PSB.

Gabby

#73 Post by Gabby »

bongsteve wrote: Tue 25 May 2021, 3:01 pm

I've never understood the dislike for Legacy...I've always enjoyed it. Yeah, it's different but not Sound of the Atom Splitting different. Still very PSB.
Funny because I've never understood the dislike for Sound of the Atom Splitting. I've always liked it and think it's completely brilliant and bonkers at the same time. :D

The rich tapestry that makes up the PSB fanbase!

tottenhammattspurs

#74 Post by tottenhammattspurs »

It charted!

Download and sales charts only but chart it did!!!!
is is and isnt isnt

oakey

#75 Post by oakey »

Cricket Wife was reviewed in yesterday’s Dutch newspaper “de Volkskrant”, kind of equivalent to The Guardian. They liked it (translation by me):
A surprising, long orchestral track without a beat or chorus. Ten minutes of violins with Neil Tennant reciting a poem. Weird, but it works.