"Cricket Wife" initial commentary

For general discussion of Pet Shop Boys topics.
Greendrake

Re: "Cricket Wife" initial commentary

#46 Post by Greendrake »

The content of this post has been reserved by the author due to the unprecedented, categorical and peremptory exercise of censorship that took place on 20 May 2021.

Whereas this content can be restored, the author neither intends to do so, nor to publish any further posts to avoid any possible perception as "passive agressive", "pointless", "unhelpful", "homophobic" or "bigoted".
Last edited by Greendrake on Fri 21 May 2021, 3:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.

TwizzleUK

#47 Post by TwizzleUK »

Yeah, it's all about the lyrics on this one isn't it? It's either this or 'Your Funny Uncle' that has the most mournful lyrical content.

Greendrake

#48 Post by Greendrake »

The content of this post has been reserved by the author due to the unprecedented, categorical and peremptory exercise of censorship that took place on 20 May 2021.

Whereas this content can be restored, the author neither intends to do so, nor to publish any further posts to avoid any possible perception as "passive agressive", "pointless", "unhelpful", "homophobic" or "bigoted".

Nickname

#49 Post by Nickname »

Your Funny Uncle was much better than this.

mrcrosby

#50 Post by mrcrosby »

It's a long time since a Pet Shop Boys song made me cry but this one managed it. I've recently seen someone go through dementia and this really strikes a chord. Stunning stuff.

leesmapman

#51 Post by leesmapman »

After a second listen: a chilling piece of music, this. I can imagine this can hit you hard when something like this happened recently.

And yes, at 4:13 you can hear a second (or third) voice that is not Neil. Anyone knows who it could be?

Sent from my SM-J410F using Tapatalk

Spittingcat

#52 Post by Spittingcat »

I was wondering that. Is it his own voice pitched down with software? Could be Chris hidden behind software. Doubt it’ll actually be a third person, not with lockdown.

retrofuturist

#53 Post by retrofuturist »

Greetings,
Greendrake wrote: Sun 09 May 2021, 2:51 am So, this appears to be the saddest song PSB have ever written. Does anyone disagree?

It is also possibly the longest original version?
Interesting then also that the remix Chris did for Paul Weller is around the 12 minute mark.

Perhaps this signals something about what we might expect to hear on the next album?

Retro. :)

jasonjohn

#54 Post by jasonjohn »

Still not on youtube. Won't somebody think of the fans who can't afford the extortion of eBay resellers.

Greendrake

#55 Post by Greendrake »

Patrick Bateman

#57 Post by Patrick Bateman »

Spittingcat wrote: Mon 10 May 2021, 12:22 am I was wondering that. Is it his own voice pitched down with software? Could be Chris hidden behind software. Doubt it’ll actually be a third person, not with lockdown.
Neil's butler?

telys

#58 Post by telys »

Patrick Bateman wrote: Mon 10 May 2021, 7:03 am
Spittingcat wrote: Mon 10 May 2021, 12:22 am I was wondering that. Is it his own voice pitched down with software? Could be Chris hidden behind software. Doubt it’ll actually be a third person, not with lockdown.
Neil's butler?
"There's a ghost within this house, it's haunting me tonight"
----
You've got me all wrong

oakey

#59 Post by oakey »

Same here. Does not sound like Chris so I think it is his own modified voice

Old Soak

#60 Post by Old Soak »

OMG, finally got opportunity with the house to myself to hear it at decent volume, I've bawled. The early part is is just so redolent of a confused person with dementia put in a care home reacting to the unfamiliar. Later it's from the afterlife following death and release, looking back in those final moments at happy memories flashing by and finally reunited with a partner long gone and sorely missed. Neil's disembodied voice is as from what's beyond. Powerful stuff that those just skimming the surface and going 'meh' need to dig into, and which perhaps you'll appreciate with greater age and life experience. This is a masterwork, and I've lifted to 10/10 from initial assessment with familiarity. HappySad. Release.
And at the end/ Your funny Uncle staring / At all your friends / With military bearing