The Taxi Driver And His Mate..

For general discussion of Pet Shop Boys topics.
y3potential

The Taxi Driver And His Mate..

#1 Post by y3potential »

Possible follow up to Your Early Stuff.. Neil being mistaken for Jimmy Somerville by a London cab driver.. For those not UK based or not familiar, Jimmy Somerville was lead singer of The Communards in the mid/late 80's and his partner in the band was Richard Coles who is now a vicar and somewhat of a media personality here in the UK... I wonder if Neil just nodded politely and didn't correct him..

3F8112EB-38A1-4F34-91CB-1E39F050C1C0.jpeg
3F8112EB-38A1-4F34-91CB-1E39F050C1C0.jpeg (558.84 KiB) Viewed 2285 times
Last edited by y3potential on Wed 28 Apr 2021, 8:20 am, edited 1 time in total.
There is beauty in ugliness and ugliness in beauty.

leesmapman

Re: The Taxi Driver And His Mate..

#2 Post by leesmapman »

Well, he helped on What Keeps Mankind Alive?

y3potential

#3 Post by y3potential »

leesmapman wrote: Tue 27 Apr 2021, 6:22 pm Well, he helped on What Keeps Mankind Alive?

Yes. A fair point.. :up:

rashomon

#4 Post by rashomon »

Don't tip him this way ...
you could say conventional ... and I could claim intentional

y3potential

#5 Post by y3potential »

rashomon wrote: Tue 27 Apr 2021, 6:39 pm Don't tip him this way ...
:lol: :lol:

telys

#6 Post by telys »

Hm, reading Literally (the book) right now and I get the same impression from them in the book as from this notice from Neil. They don't really treat their fans very well and never have.
----
You've got me all wrong

leesmapman

#7 Post by leesmapman »

telys wrote: Tue 27 Apr 2021, 7:56 pm Hm, reading Literally (the book) right now and I get the same impression from them in the book as from this notice from Neil. They don't really treat their fans very well and never have.
Huh? What kind of impression does this Pet Text give?

RMC

#8 Post by RMC »

Richard Coles has seen it…
Attachments
957E4DE2-1BBB-4A93-9CC1-C97632014ADC.png
957E4DE2-1BBB-4A93-9CC1-C97632014ADC.png (526.62 KiB) Viewed 2194 times

y3potential

#9 Post by y3potential »

telys wrote: Tue 27 Apr 2021, 7:56 pm Hm, reading Literally (the book) right now and I get the same impression from them in the book as from this notice from Neil. They don't really treat their fans very well and never have.

With respect, you may have got the wrong end of the stick here.. Neil was referring to the fact that the Cab Driver thought he was Jimmy Somerville and probably had a chuckle to himself about it afterwards.. London Cab drivers are a certain breed and will pontificate on anything under the sun with varying degrees of knowledge on any given subject. I would imagine there was certainly no malice on the guy's side, just someone getting his singers mixed up..

y3potential

#10 Post by y3potential »

y3potential wrote: Tue 27 Apr 2021, 8:14 pm

With respect, I think you may have got the wrong end of the stick here.. Neil was referring to the fact that the Cab Driver thought he was Jimmy Somerville and probably had a chuckle to himself about it afterwards.. London Cab drivers are a certain breed and will pontificate on anything under the sun with varying degrees of knowledge on any given subject. I would imagine there was certainly no malice on the guy's side, just someone getting his singers mixed up.. On the few occasions I've met Neil and Chris at gigs they couldn't have been nicer, signing everything I stuck under their noses..

telys

#11 Post by telys »

With respect, you may have got the wrong end of the stick here.. Neil was referring to the fact that the Cab Driver thought he was Jimmy Somerville and probably had a chuckle to himself about it afterwards.. London Cab drivers are a certain breed and will pontificate on anything under the sun with varying degrees of knowledge on any given subject. I would imagine there was certainly no malice on the guy's side, just someone getting his singers mixed up..
Ok, now I get it.
I'm too deep into the 1989-tour where they throw gifts from Japanese fans in the bin etc.
How do you actually meet N & C after a gig?
----
You've got me all wrong

y3potential

#12 Post by y3potential »

telys wrote: Tue 27 Apr 2021, 8:47 pm

Ok, now I get it.
I'm too deep into the 1989-tour where they throw gifts from Japanese fans in the bin etc.
How do you actually meet N & C after a gig?

Back in the day (before the internet) at shows like the Savoy and the Performance Tour, they were more open than they are these days with social media.. Particularly Chris who is far more guarded now than he even was back then.. And signing sessions like the Tower record store in 2001..

MikeyC

#13 Post by MikeyC »

Cab you forgive her? 😎

Greendrake

#14 Post by Greendrake »

The content of this post has been reserved by the author due to the unprecedented, categorical and peremptory exercise of censorship that took place on 20 May 2021.

Whereas this content can be restored, the author neither intends to do so, nor to publish any further posts to avoid any possible perception as "passive agressive", "pointless", "unhelpful", "homophobic" or "bigoted".
Last edited by Greendrake on Fri 21 May 2021, 3:55 pm, edited 3 times in total.

ChoonHound

#15 Post by ChoonHound »

Been a rabid fan for nearly 30 years and I don’t get the “vicar” thing. Can someone explain?
I sincerely *love* Disco 2 and listen to it straight through regularly.