The Taxi Driver And His Mate..

For general discussion of Pet Shop Boys topics.
Greendrake

Re: The Taxi Driver And His Mate..

#16 Post by Greendrake »

The content of this post has been reserved by the author due to the unprecedented, categorical and peremptory exercise of censorship that took place on 20 May 2021.

Whereas this content can be restored, the author neither intends to do so, nor to publish any further posts to avoid any possible perception as "passive agressive", "pointless", "unhelpful", "homophobic" or "bigoted".
Last edited by Greendrake on Fri 21 May 2021, 3:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.

MikeyC

#17 Post by MikeyC »

Luke Colorado wrote: Wed 28 Apr 2021, 2:55 am Been a rabid fan for nearly 30 years and I don’t get the “vicar” thing. Can someone explain?
The cabbie thought Neil was Jimmy from The Communards. The other guy from The Communards is currently a Vicar. 8)

ChoonHound

#18 Post by ChoonHound »

...and this happened this week?
I sincerely *love* Disco 2 and listen to it straight through regularly.

MikeyC

#19 Post by MikeyC »

Luke Colorado wrote: Wed 28 Apr 2021, 3:45 am ...and this happened this week?
Yesterday x

ChoonHound

#20 Post by ChoonHound »

How the hell are we supposed to decipher this, Neil? Lol. I mean, is the Bronski Beat thing common knowledge in the UK?

ChoonHound

#21 Post by ChoonHound »

How the hell are we supposed to decipher this, Neil? Lol. I mean, is the Bronski Beat thing common knowledge in the UK?

leesmapman

#22 Post by leesmapman »

Luke Colorado wrote:How the hell are we supposed to decipher this, Neil? Lol. I mean, is the Bronski Beat thing common knowledge in the UK?
I think it is. Richard Coles is something of a media personality.
Last edited by leesmapman on Wed 28 Apr 2021, 9:28 am, edited 1 time in total.

TallThinMan

#23 Post by TallThinMan »

I’ve read the first volume of Richard Coles’s memoirs. It’s a good read. He mentions being mistaken for a Pet Shop Boy on about three separate occasions.
TIERGARTEN's debut album BREAKING POINT is out now: https://linktr.ee/tiergartenmusic

Scottydog

#24 Post by Scottydog »

TallThinMan wrote: Wed 28 Apr 2021, 7:10 am I’ve read the first volume of Richard Coles’s memoirs. It’s a good read. He mentions being mistaken for a Pet Shop Boy on about three separate occasions.
That does sound an interesting read. Richard Coles seems to have become even more of a celebrity in recent years than he was in The Communards. He even inspired a character in the Bridget Jones books.
Between Chris and Neil I’d have said Neil would be the one most likely to be mistaken for a priest 😂
If I thought what you’d think I wouldn’t even be here.

retrofuturist

#25 Post by retrofuturist »

Greetings,
Luke Colorado wrote: Wed 28 Apr 2021, 2:55 am Been a rabid fan for nearly 30 years and I don’t get the “vicar” thing. Can someone explain?
I had a different initial interpretation to everyone else. I thought it was a reference to the Always On My Mind film-clip and taxi-scene... possibly mistaking Chris for a random cabbie and Joss Ackland as the other band member.

But now I know about the other explanation, it sounds the most plausible.

Retro. :)
"Politics are too emotional now. Contemporary culture generally is too emotional, really... I'd rather people looked to the truth." (Neil Tennant)

y3potential

#26 Post by y3potential »

[quote=y3

[/quote]
There is beauty in ugliness and ugliness in beauty.

oakey

#27 Post by oakey »

Richard Coles is now an (Anglican) priest and used to be the other half (keyboard player) of The Communards, with Jimmy Sommerville. This taxi driver mixed up Neil with the lead singer from The Communards (or more likely mixed up Pet Shop Boys and Communards, both big in 1986/1987.

Sandy Shaw

#28 Post by Sandy Shaw »

Richard Coles of The Communards is now Rev Richard Coles and also a radio presenter so still in the spotlight.
What's for supper?