Neil and Chris - Alcohol

For general discussion of Pet Shop Boys topics.
telys

Neil and Chris - Alcohol

#1 Post by telys »

I finally, after all these years, got hold of a copy of Literally. It's a sometimes informative read but I strikes me there's a lot of alcohol mentioned. It's always in the sense of casual drinking, champagne, white wine... but also a pint or two.
There's some mentioning of Neil being drunk on a party and making a speach... but there's also Neil having a night cap and Neil being non-sober from champagne in the middle of the day on his way to some important meeting, Neil and Chris having three beers each before some event, drinking wine before the concert in Hongkong etc etc.
My alarm bells are ringing. This is too much, too often, too many excuses for drinking. Do we know of any drinking problems concering Neil & Chris?
----
You've got me all wrong

Sebastian_Surfleet

Re: Neil and Chris - alcoholic?

#2 Post by Sebastian_Surfleet »

They're not alcoholics. They're just English.

Future Lover

#3 Post by Future Lover »

How is this person not banned by now?

Gabby

#4 Post by Gabby »

Hmm, probably not.

Bernard Sumner would polish off a bottle of Pernod before a gig. I dont suspect N and C are in that league.

Greendrake

#5 Post by Greendrake »

The content of this post has been reserved by the author due to the unprecedented, categorical and peremptory exercise of censorship that took place on 20 May 2021.

Whereas this content can be restored, the author neither intends to do so, nor to publish any further posts to avoid any possible perception as "passive agressive", "pointless", "unhelpful", "homophobic" or "bigoted".
Last edited by Greendrake on Fri 21 May 2021, 3:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.

OakeyDokey

#6 Post by OakeyDokey »

Jeesh, have you never been on a night out or two ?!

TallThinMan

#7 Post by TallThinMan »

I don’t think it’s really for you to say it’s too much, too often. You don’t know them.
TIERGARTEN's debut album BREAKING POINT is out now: https://linktr.ee/tiergartenmusic

telys

#8 Post by telys »

Greendrake wrote: Wed 21 Apr 2021, 1:07 am
telys wrote: Tue 20 Apr 2021, 8:25 pm Do we know of any drinking problems concering Neil & Chris?
They may drink some but it does not appear to be any sort of a problem for anyone. Have you ever heard of any event screwed up because of their drinking? They just know the limits and enjoy them.
True. But one cannot help but being concerned. It's so easy in their line of business to fall into the trap of substance abuse. Thinking about the AIDS-pandemic and all the sorrow, it would've been so easy to turn to the bottle. Music industry is riddled with people being ruined.
To be honest, in Literally they're also out on the town looking for tea and sandwiches.
----
You've got me all wrong

King1968

#9 Post by King1968 »

Maybe the stupidest topic on here by a mile needs taking down

telys

#10 Post by telys »

TallThinMan wrote: Wed 21 Apr 2021, 7:05 am I don’t think it’s really for you to say it’s too much, too often. You don’t know them.
Neither do you.
----
You've got me all wrong

TallThinMan

#11 Post by TallThinMan »

telys wrote: Wed 21 Apr 2021, 7:40 pm
TallThinMan wrote: Wed 21 Apr 2021, 7:05 am I don’t think it’s really for you to say it’s too much, too often. You don’t know them.
Neither do you.
I never claimed to. I also never passed judgement on how they choose to live their lives, based on a few sentences in a book. Wait until you find out that they’ve used cocaine and ecstasy. Whoops!
TIERGARTEN's debut album BREAKING POINT is out now: https://linktr.ee/tiergartenmusic

daveid

#12 Post by daveid »

TallThinMan wrote: Wed 21 Apr 2021, 9:35 pm
telys wrote: Wed 21 Apr 2021, 7:40 pm
Neither do you.
I never claimed to. I also never passed judgement on how they choose to live their lives, based on a few sentences in a book. Wait until you find out that they’ve used cocaine and ecstasy. Whoops!
Of course they've used C and E. The Yesterday, when I was mad video is raw footage, completely undoctored.

sonicbleep

#13 Post by sonicbleep »

GONE BYE BYE
Last edited by sonicbleep on Fri 27 May 2022, 4:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Gabby

Re: Neil and Chris - Alcohol

#14 Post by Gabby »

I'm fairly sure somewhere there's mention (either by Neil - not likely Chris - or by a.n.other author, maybe one of the New Order biographies?) that they have taken some illegal substances.

Frankly I'd be stunned if at the very least Chris wasn't taking ecstasy during the 80's. It was an ingrained part of the culture that both of them were immersed in at that time. Wouldn't exactly be a shocker.

Drico One

#15 Post by Drico One »

daveid wrote:
Of course they've used C and E. The Yesterday, when I was mad video is raw footage, completely undoctored.
I wonder what they were on when writing Winner.

Drico.
The pale kid that hides in the attic behind his PC...