Do you think a producer like Mark Ronson could work for PSB?

For general discussion of Pet Shop Boys topics.
TwizzleUK

Re: Do you think a producer like Mark Ronson could work for PSB?

#16 Post by TwizzleUK »

Mentioned here a few times before, but would love a lush electronic album produced by Ulrich Schnauss, who did that wonderful mix of 'Memory Of The Future', and has many fine albums of his own and with other collaborators.

Would be a great way to retain the electronic emphasis of recent albums, but in a different way and mood to the Stuart Price bangers.

Future Lover

#17 Post by Future Lover »

Calling Mark Ronson a flash in the pan kind of producer after he's produced several seminal albums, a couple of #1s and covered a variety of genres (no, he doesn't only do "retro")... I implore you to dig deeper. Check out this Silk City thing, you know... where he produces only amazing electronic bops with Diplo.

Old Soak

#18 Post by Old Soak »

Future Lover wrote: Tue 20 Apr 2021, 11:06 pm Calling Mark Ronson a flash in the pan kind of producer after he's produced several seminal albums, a couple of #1s and covered a variety of genres (no, he doesn't only do "retro")... I implore you to dig deeper. Check out this Silk City thing, you know... where he produces only amazing electronic bops with Diplo.
Nowt in that palmarès that even remotely interests, especially the Amy Winehouse garbage. Most overrated singer ever. Typical modern day bilge.
And at the end/ Your funny Uncle staring / At all your friends / With military bearing

MikeyC

#19 Post by MikeyC »

Somewhat off-topic, but possibly of interest: Ronson often works out of the legendary Electric Lady Studio on West 8th Street which is very close to Washington Square Park and as I often read and relax in that park, I’ve seen him frequently walking to/from the studio (with food, etc.). 😎

Nickname

#20 Post by Nickname »

djx wrote: Tue 20 Apr 2021, 5:32 pm I appreciate everyone has their own tastes and differ in what they want from a PSB album.
I liked Release, mainly because, whilst it was different from their other work it had catchy songs on it but it did take some warming to. Elysium did absolutely nothing for me, was played once and has never made it out since again. I totally loved Electric, Super, Yes and Fundamental and everything upto Nightlife i love.

Hotspot, well, probably not a popular opinion on here is dire, i really can't like this album at all.

I'm a fan, a massive fan, and have spent a lot over the years but another album like Hotspot would seriously question me spending money on it.
I wouldn't want a producer that makes an album sound like they did "back in the day" but good, catchy pop songs will keep people interested
Agree. :up: :up: :up: :up: :up: :up: :up: :up: :up: :up:

Nickname

#21 Post by Nickname »

MikeyC wrote: Wed 21 Apr 2021, 10:03 am Somewhat off-topic, but possibly of interest: Ronson often works out of the legendary Electric Lady Studio on West 8th Street which is very close to Washington Square Park and as I often read and relax in that park, I’ve seen him frequently walking to/from the studio (with food, etc.). 😎
You should ask him his opinion about PSB. :lol:

sonicbleep

#22 Post by sonicbleep »

GONE BYE BYE
Last edited by sonicbleep on Fri 27 May 2022, 4:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ChoonHound

#23 Post by ChoonHound »

rashomon wrote: Tue 20 Apr 2021, 4:26 pm Bicep vs PSB ...
That could be good
Yes, yes, yes. 1000000% yes.
I sincerely *love* Disco 2 and listen to it straight through regularly.

ludwig_iv

#24 Post by ludwig_iv »

minimal wrote: Tue 20 Apr 2021, 3:55 pm Pet Shop Boys should work with Marius Lauber and let Roosevelt produce their next record. He's young, surely affordable, grew up with total confusion (associated with Kompakt) and he pretty much knows how to write and produce gorgeous electronic pop music. He plays multiple instruments, is good at songwriting, played in a band, worked as a DJ, is known for his remixes. He's perfect for PSB as he knows basically everything what's relevant for their sound. Best is that this approach would bring back some warmth to the sound of PSB that's been long missed imho. Last time Neil and Chris captured a somewhat warm sound in production terms Andrew Dawson was responsible for their songs. It suits them. Roosevelt suits them. It's actually so logic to approach Roosevelt that PSB clearly (and unfortunately) won't do so.

m+
I fully agree with this. Roosevelt is an excellent call.

Propertius

#25 Post by Propertius »

I’d like them to work with Johnny Jewel. Not only is he great as a kind of neo-Italo-disco producer, but his habit of making a lot of alternate mixes and remixes would generate plenty of material for singles.

Nickname

#26 Post by Nickname »

The thing is you are talking about electronic producers who can work fine with PSB. But I think it's necessary to go deeper and try to include new elements and genres. Not only electro-pop or pop-rock (The Killers style).

Dog

#27 Post by Dog »

Of course there is every chance given current conditions that (a) the next PSB album is already well underway and (b) they are self-producing.
Woof.