What if? Neil's career in the 1970's

For general discussion of Pet Shop Boys topics.
telys

What if? Neil's career in the 1970's

#1 Post by telys »

I finally got a hold of "100 lyrics and a poem" and found the introduction very interesting. It's the closest we got to a memoir.
Anyway, what really got to me was Neil's songwriting and near musical career in the 70's. So what if...

Dust got a record deal in 1972 and released an album before Neil moved to London and got signed on Elton John's Rocket Records.
After that Neil Tennant as a singer-songwriter releases a few albums, let's say in 1974 (Telephone blues), 1977 (Eclecti) and 1979 (Chelsea street) , as well as crafting lyrics and tunes for other artists.
Would he have been a star? Definitely not, but maybe he could make a living out if.

And then, right around the release of his 1981 album (The Ghost of Myself), Neil meets Chris Lowe and forms a new band...

Imagine how cool it would've been for us fans to have a string of 70's material to relate to...
and what if Neil could give us the opportunity to listen to those old songs, I mean, they do actually exist.
----
You've got me all wrong

telys

Re: What if? Neil's career in the 1970's

#2 Post by telys »

Does anybody have a list of the songs Neil wrote before meeting Chris which have ended up as PSB tunes?
----
You've got me all wrong

leesmapman

#3 Post by leesmapman »

Dust has played a few tracks live on a local radio station in the 70s. I am really interested in this.

Dog

#4 Post by Dog »

telys wrote:Does anybody have a list of the songs Neil wrote before meeting Chris which have ended up as PSB tunes?
There are the two demos Neil recorded and shared online: A Man on the Television, and All Things to All Men. Not PSB tunes though.
Woof.

Kevinthehorse

#5 Post by Kevinthehorse »

If you want to know what Neil would have sounded like had he been a star in the 1970s just listen to Al Stewart's "Year Of The Cat"! ;)

minimal

#6 Post by minimal »

I don't want to come across that ignorant but just like Neil said about The White Striples: "Ultimately, I'm not interested."

It's good that it all started in the mid 80s.

m+

Drico One

#7 Post by Drico One »

Kevinthehorse wrote: Mon 19 Apr 2021, 9:06 am If you want to know what Neil would have sounded like had he been a star in the 1970s just listen to Al Stewart's "Year Of The Cat"! ;)
I think Time Passages is even more Neil. "Buy me a ticket on the last train home tonight" is basically a folksy Two Divided By Zero. And it's even more fey. And that brilliant hook at the end is not a million miles away from a certain sidekick's genius noodlings.

Drico.
The pale kid that hides in the attic behind his PC...