Quiz: 40 years of Pet Shop Boys

For general discussion of Pet Shop Boys topics.
Dog

#1 Post by Dog »

40 questions - some easier than others - covering Pet Shop Boys’ entire 40-year history. Each answer is one word. Get them all right and the 40 answers can be used to “unlock” four Pet Shop Boys song titles.

If you’d like to play, the winner is the first to post these four song titles together in a single post below. To try and give the quiz a little longevity please maybe hold back from posting answers to the individual questions for the moment. There are no prizes!

1. Which pop group was in trouble for not returning Neil’s Spider-Man costume?

2. The first ever 12 inch single Chris bought was by which group?

3. What name does Neil give his go-to stir fry recipe, comprising brown rice, broccoli and soy sauce?

4. The original dive bar immortalised in the lyrics to West End girls was located in which London street?

5. What was the name of the Studios where Pet Shop Boys made their first record with Bobby O?

6. Which 60s singer-songwriter did Neil try to sound like when recording In the night?

7. The majority of the sounds on the hit version of West End girls, with the exception of the singers’ voices, were made using which synthesiser?

8. Which staff member at Picture Music International suggested Neil and Chris first work with Derek Jarman?

9. Neil dubbed Rent what kind of love song?

10. What is the first name of the baby Neil and Chris are photographed with on the It’s alright label of the limited edition 12 inch single version of Introspective?

11. Occupy your mind was inspired by which late-80s acid house parties?

12. Carter the Unstoppable Sex Machine covered Rent on the b-side of which of their singles?

13. Pet Shop Boys commissioned the KLF to remodel So hard after Chris heard which album playing in a record shop?

14. Unauthorised Cowton work.

15. What was the name of the design company behind Very’s unique orange jewel CD case?

16. This Spaghetti duo made an excessive female tribute.

17. What is the first name of the actress surprised by a sweet treat on Bilingual?

18. What was the original title of the Closer to Heaven musical?

19. What is Neil’s favourite word?

20. What was the name of the scrapped “gay Lollapalooza” festival conceived by Pet Shop Boys and Elton John which was due to tour American cities in 2001?

21. According to Neil, I didn’t get where I am today was removed from the final running order of Release because Parlophone considered it too what?

22. Which mostly instrumental Pet Shop Boys track shares its name with an asteroid and a Bulgarian village?

23. Only live outing for this Barfly ballad.

24. Back to Neil’s for which small Vessel contribution?

25. Home of Potemkin’s stone staircase.

26. When recording Fundamental, Neil’s voice was sampled multiple times, allowing a “choir of Neil’s” to be played via a keyboard. What was this instrument christened?

27. What was Fundamental’s original title?

28. To whom did Neil present a Brit Award in 2006?

29. Besides guitar, Johnny Marr also made what other musical contribution to Yes?

30. The Pandemonium show was, in its longest form, split into four acts. One was called New York; another Ballet. What was the final act called?

31. Leo’s Incredible invention.

32. What was the name of the close harmony group that appeared on Elysium?

33. Price’s constant daytime recording companion.

34. Which Madonna song did Neil channel for his Axis vocal performance?

35. According to A Man From The Future, what kind of wonders should every child know?

36. Comes before private; bits.

37. On the release of Super, Chris reasoned that: “To have success now, you don’t really need anybody, except yourself, and your massive...” What?

38. This Beautiful character’s theme knows no boundaries.

39. Which alternative title considered for Hotspot was also a name for the poison laboratory of the Soviet secret services?

40. What is the surname of the artist who was scheduled to play on the Pyramid Stage at the same time Pet Shop Boys were to headline the Other Stage, at the cancelled 2020 Glastonbury festival?
Last edited by Dog on Thu 08 Apr 2021, 7:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Woof.

PSBForTheMasses

Re: Quiz: 40 years of Pet Shop Boys

#2 Post by PSBForTheMasses »

Ugh I checked the first four questions and ashamedly confess that I see that I am not that rabid PSB fan I used to be proud of :x I am not even aware of anything related to Spiderman costume :mrgreen:

Dog

#3 Post by Dog »

PSBForTheMasses wrote:Ugh I checked the first four questions and ashamedly confess that I see that I am not that rabid PSB fan I used to be proud of :x I am not even aware of anything related to Spiderman costume :mrgreen:
Hey, thanks for the interest anyway Image I must have made it harder than intended although I thought the challenge may appeal to some. I promise I wasn’t trying to be wilfully obscure!

The Spider-Man anecdote stems from Neil’s time at Marvel and has been covered in a few places including Tom Watkins’ autobiography - you can actually get that answer easily from an internet search.

If anyone wants to post answers to those they can get, I am happy to pitch in with clues and sources for any harder ones.
Woof.

fluffmoln

#4 Post by fluffmoln »

I'm working my way through these and have half of them answered, good fun re-reading stuff to gather clues. The Spider-Man anecdote is also in the first Annually.

Dog

#5 Post by Dog »

fluffmoln wrote:I'm working my way through these and have half of them answered, good fun re-reading stuff to gather clues. The Spider-Man anecdote is also in the first Annually.
Ah, excellent Image
Woof.

TallThinMan

#6 Post by TallThinMan »

Question 7 should refer to the Bobby O version of West End Girls, not the Stephen Hague one.

Xakrij

#7 Post by Xakrij »

Working on 8 that are puzzling without going back to re-read everything

Will post soon...with or without
Shot in the fatal cause 'of frock-and-droll'

Dog

#8 Post by Dog »

TallThinMan wrote:Question 7 should refer to the Bobby O version of West End Girls, not the Stephen Hague one.
Hi, I definitely mean the hit version but appreciate there are conflicting views as to whether it is absolutely all the sounds so have diluted a little - cheers.
Woof.

Dog

#9 Post by Dog »

Xakrij wrote:Working on 8 that are puzzling without going back to re-read everything

Will post soon...with or without
Brilliant stuff
Woof.

TallThinMan

#10 Post by TallThinMan »

Dog wrote: Sun 11 Apr 2021, 8:10 pm
TallThinMan wrote:Question 7 should refer to the Bobby O version of West End Girls, not the Stephen Hague one.
Hi, I definitely mean the hit version but appreciate there are conflicting views as to whether it is absolutely all the sounds so have diluted a little - cheers.
Cool. I was just thinking of your very own interview with Stephen Hague where I asked where the bass sound came from and the answer wasn’t the instrument you’re thinking of.

Dog

#11 Post by Dog »

TallThinMan wrote:
Dog wrote: Sun 11 Apr 2021, 8:10 pm
Cool. I was just thinking of your very own interview with Stephen Hague where I asked where the bass sound came from and the answer wasn’t the instrument you’re thinking of.
Ha! That’s funny... I will have to read back ImageCaught out by my own stuff
Woof.

Xakrij

#12 Post by Xakrij »

*Spoiler Alert
I've posted my answers below

1 Giggles
2 Supremes
3 Grim
4 Gerrard
5 Unique
6 Donovan
7 Emulator
8 Chips
9 Mercenary
10X
11 Raves
12 Rubbish
13 Space
14 Introspective
15 Pentagram
16 Ignorants
17X
18 Nightlife
19 Umbilical
20 Whatapalava
21 FatboySlim
22 Axis
23 Nervously
24 Tiny
25 Odessa
26 Neilatron
27 Fundamentally
28 Madonna
29 Harmonica
30 Celebration
31 Clock
32 Waters
33 Television
34 Erotica
35 Natural
36 In
37X
38 Omar
39 Laboratory
40 Swift
Shot in the fatal cause 'of frock-and-droll'

Dog

#13 Post by Dog »

Deleted post
Last edited by Dog on Mon 12 Apr 2021, 7:10 am, edited 1 time in total.
Woof.

Dog

#14 Post by Dog »

Great job with 31 correct.

For number 11 I was just after something more specific.

Not sure if you are able to “unlock” any of the four song titles at this stage?

Thank you for taking part
Woof.

Marie loves PSB

#15 Post by Marie loves PSB »

Xakrij wrote: Mon 12 Apr 2021, 6:53 am *Spoiler Alert
I've posted my answers below

1 Giggles
2 Supremes
3 Grim
4 Gerrard
5 Unique
6 Donovan
7 Emulator
8 Chips
9 Mercenary
10X
11 Raves
12 Rubbish
13 Space
14 Introspective
15 Pentagram
16 Ignorants
17X
18 Nightlife
19 Umbilical
20 Whatapalava
21 FatboySlim
22 Axis
23 Nervously
24 Tiny
25 Odessa
26 Neilatron
27 Fundamentally
28 Madonna
29 Harmonica
30 Celebration
31 Clock
32 Waters
33 Television
34 Erotica
35 Natural
36 In
37X
38 Omar
39 Laboratory
40 Swift
Oh, my word - you are good Xakrij! :up: I am truly embarrassed to say that I didn't know any! :oops: