Greatest PSB hits according to YouTube

For general discussion of Pet Shop Boys topics.
lucienchardon

Greatest PSB hits according to YouTube

#1 Post by lucienchardon »

West End girls recently surpassed 100 million views on YouTube. And It's A Sin will do so in a few days. I thought it would be interesting to see how their videos rank in terms of YouTube views. This only counts views from the official Pet Shop Boys YouTube account. Rent, Absolutely Fabulous and Flamboyant are missing so I guess they don't have the rights to those. Below are the Top 25 as far as I can tell. Opportunities had two official videos so I combined the number of views. I'm surprised that only Go West makes the top 25 from Very. Release and Fundamental don't have any videos in the top 25. This list, along with the singles from Hotspot, would make a great setlist for the Dreamworld: The Greatest Hits Live tour.

On April 6, 2021

Song (album) and YouTube views (in millions)
1. West End girls (Please) 100.3
2. It's a sin (Actually) 98.8
3. Domino dancing (Introspective) 68.3
4. Always on my mind (Actually/Introspective) 33.4
5. Go West (Very) 33.3
6. What have I done to deserve this? (Actually) 32.4
7. New York City boy (Nightlife) 16.2
8. Suburbia (Please) 15.7
9. Love, etc. (Yes) 14.4
10. Heart (Actually) 11.7
11. Being boring (Behavior) 9.8
12. Opportunities (Please) 9.3
13. Love comes quickly (Please) 6.8
14. Did you see me coming? (Yes) 5.9
15. Left to my own devices (Introspective) 4.9
16. It's alright (Introspective) 4.7
17. So hard (Behavior) 3.7
18. Se a vida e (Bilingual) 3.2
19. Leaving (Elysium) 2.9
20. Axis (Electric) 2.5
21. Thursday (Electric) 2.5
22. The Pop Kids (Super) 2.4
23. Paninaro 95 2.3
24. I don't know what you want but I can't give it any more (Nightlife) 2.2
25. Where the streets have no name 1.8

stopthecar

Re: Greatest PSB hits according to YouTube

#2 Post by stopthecar »

Why wouldn't they have the rights to Rent and Flamboyant?

It doesn't make any sense.

leesmapman

#3 Post by leesmapman »

Rent being absent is a mystery to me. Someone on the youtube comments mentioned this and I had to see it to believe it.

Zeoxan

#4 Post by Zeoxan »

"Rent" is on YouTube, actually.
https://youtu.be/-d0GARTk_Nk

lucienchardon

#5 Post by lucienchardon »

Zeoxan wrote: Tue 06 Apr 2021, 10:07 pm "Rent" is on YouTube, actually.
Thanks for that. I wonder why it is not on the PSB YouTube account. It has 6.2 million views which would place it at number 14.

leesmapman

#6 Post by leesmapman »

Zeoxan wrote: Tue 06 Apr 2021, 10:07 pm "Rent" is on YouTube, actually.
it's a hidden link. but since it's got million of views, it wasn't hidden before. You can't find it in the search either.

onzio

#7 Post by onzio »

It's obvious that Chris is trying to obscure his acting performance! ; :lol: :lol: :wink:
The Onzio on Spotify
The Onzio on YouTube
Expressing passion, explaining pain
This is my kind of music

Nickname

#8 Post by Nickname »

Always on my Mind didn't have a proper video on Youtube for a long time. It was difficult to find it. So that's why Always on my mind has so few views. I think it's the most famous track in PSB career with West End Girls, even more famous than It's a Sin and the rest of their songs.

PopKid78

#9 Post by PopKid78 »

Interesting that the song which was the end of imperial phase, is the third most viewed video. Also it was only a 3 pointer on Pointless yesterday

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Nickname

#10 Post by Nickname »

PopKid78 wrote: Wed 07 Apr 2021, 1:14 pm Interesting that the song which was the end of imperial phase, is the third most viewed video. Also it was only a 3 pointer on Pointless yesterday

Because it was a hit in latin countries. It was Number 1 on the Official Singles Spanish Chart.

One of the crowd

#11 Post by One of the crowd »

PopKid78 wrote: Wed 07 Apr 2021, 1:14 pm Interesting that the song which was the end of imperial phase, is the third most viewed video. Also it was only a 3 pointer on Pointless yesterday
Did Zoe Ball let something slip today? (31:01:24)

PopKid78

#12 Post by PopKid78 »

One of the crowd wrote:
Haha good point

JJ Naas

#13 Post by JJ Naas »

Can You Forgive Her (1.3 m) isn't on the main videos list either. It's under Playlists / Albums & Singles / Very Further Listening, so a bit hidden from a casual viewer.

DopeFiend

#14 Post by DopeFiend »

Youtube views are almost entirely based on whether Youtube recommends the videos.
It's fairly arbitrary, you get dud videos show up and rack up a lot of hits because of this. For instance JRCZ's The Way This Used To Be remix which is a rip off of Richard X's remix. It has 2.4 million hits. It gets recommended as long as someone listens to PSB. There's also a live West End girls performance that I dread slightly because of the outfits. It's an early performance, Neil is wearing beret and puffed out bomber jacket. Where's the smart suit or long coat, his big curly hair. That one has 4.4 million views, any of the other West End girls 80's performances would be better such as the TOPT ones.

Of course there's some value to it. Youtube relies on viewers watching to the end, and other things such as hitting Like for it to keep suggesting the video for other people. But when videos like Hallo Spaceboy are automatically blocked, it's not a fair way to judge whether a song is popular.

I'd also like to add, Absolutely Fabulous has 2 million hits.
Electronic - Disappointed has 2.6 million.
Disappointed is a great song, I think it'd go well live and I don't see any reason why they shouldn't do it.

Lastly, just because a song has a lot of listens or views doesn't necessarily mean it's the best to be performed live.
Some are better live than the studio recording.
I'm sure they must analyse the types of songs get a good reaction live and choose accordingly.

I really hope and expect they'll throw a couple oddities in the Dreamworld tour setlist by the way. With that said I think they've already chosen the setlist well over a year ago.

lucienchardon

#15 Post by lucienchardon »

It would be great if they played Disappointed! Especially if they go ahead with the North American tour with New Order. They could have Bernard Sumner on stage with them.
DopeFiend wrote: Thu 08 Apr 2021, 11:52 am Youtube views are almost entirely based on whether Youtube recommends the videos.
It's fairly arbitrary, you get dud videos show up and rack up a lot of hits because of this. For instance JRCZ's The Way This Used To Be remix which is a rip off of Richard X's remix. It has 2.4 million hits. It gets recommended as long as someone listens to PSB. There's also a live West End girls performance that I dread slightly because of the outfits. It's an early performance, Neil is wearing beret and puffed out bomber jacket. Where's the smart suit or long coat, his big curly hair. That one has 4.4 million views, any of the other West End girls 80's performances would be better such as the TOPT ones.

Of course there's some value to it. Youtube relies on viewers watching to the end, and other things such as hitting Like for it to keep suggesting the video for other people. But when videos like Hallo Spaceboy are automatically blocked, it's not a fair way to judge whether a song is popular.

I'd also like to add, Absolutely Fabulous has 2 million hits.
Electronic - Disappointed has 2.6 million.
Disappointed is a great song, I think it'd go well live and I don't see any reason why they shouldn't do it.

Lastly, just because a song has a lot of listens or views doesn't necessarily mean it's the best to be performed live.
Some are better live than the studio recording.
I'm sure they must analyse the types of songs get a good reaction live and choose accordingly.

I really hope and expect they'll throw a couple oddities in the Dreamworld tour setlist by the way. With that said I think they've already chosen the setlist well over a year ago.