Pet Shop Boys remix Paul Weller

For general discussion of Pet Shop Boys topics.
NotInvisible

Re: Pet Shop Boys remix Paul Weller

#31 Post by NotInvisible »

telys wrote: Fri 26 Feb 2021, 8:10 amNope, he's completely in the realms of the anglocentrics. I know he's famous in that particular country but it doesn't mean that much anymore.
You guys are ridiculous. He's Paul Weller - any reasonably educated music fan will know him, or The Jam, or at the very least some of his songs. A Town Called Malice is still played on the radio in the US.

Wish

#32 Post by Wish »

I'm reasonably educated music fan. I think his name is familiar but never knew how this guy is look like, as well as didn't heard any of his songs.
When this topic started I thought it's the guy who sang Bitter Sweet Symphony in The Verve but appeared it was Richard Ashcroft.
Sorry :)

Gabby

#33 Post by Gabby »

I knew who Paul Weller was, but I always forget he was both The Jam AND Style Council. He's had a long and successful career but I think he falls into that same category as the Boys do in NA - most people sorta know the song because it's played on old 80's stations, but don't really realise he's still around making music anymore.

tottenhammattspurs

#34 Post by tottenhammattspurs »

I’m sure Neil has slagged Weller off at some point. Whether it was in the singles reviews pages of Smash Hits or subsequent interviews once famous. All that ”Red wedge” vote labour stance Weller had in the 80s is prime for ridicule.
is is and isnt isnt

leesmapman

#35 Post by leesmapman »

The week Style Council's "Cafe Bleu" was reviewed (by Peter Martin, 8.5 out of 10), Neil reviewed "This Last Night In Sodom" by Soft Cell.

TallThinMan

#36 Post by TallThinMan »

If memory serves, and it was a long, long time ago, the boys played Long Hot Summer during one of their Simon Bates stand-ins. Controversially, I think Paul Weller did his best work in The Style Council.
TIERGARTEN's debut album BREAKING POINT is out now: https://linktr.ee/tiergartenmusic

canveyboy

#37 Post by canveyboy »

TallThinMan wrote: Fri 26 Feb 2021, 6:52 pm If memory serves, and it was a long, long time ago, the boys played Long Hot Summer during one of their Simon Bates stand-ins. Controversially, I think Paul Weller did his best work in The Style Council.
Not controversial at all - well, not in this house anyway! I’ve always thought The Style Council were far better than The Jam. Long Hot Summer is an absolute 1983 classic, You’re the Best Thing, Have You Ever Had it Blue, Shout to the Top...quite a few pop gems!!
Its taken me all of my life to find you

tottenhammattspurs

#38 Post by tottenhammattspurs »

Style Council better than The Jam is factually correct. 👌🏼
is is and isnt isnt

telys

#39 Post by telys »

NotInvisible wrote: Fri 26 Feb 2021, 1:53 pm
telys wrote: Fri 26 Feb 2021, 8:10 amNope, he's completely in the realms of the anglocentrics. I know he's famous in that particular country but it doesn't mean that much anymore.
You guys are ridiculous. He's Paul Weller - any reasonably educated music fan will know him...
Merely pointing out his provincial scope of fame (and of course a slight teasing stab at the coming insignificance of Little England), not an international star just because the Gallaghers are his lookalikes.
----
You've got me all wrong

Sandy Shaw

#40 Post by Sandy Shaw »

Dog wrote: Fri 26 Feb 2021, 10:27 am I am sure Neil will have added the usual cheeky vocal.
I hope so!
What's for supper?

Scottydog

#41 Post by Scottydog »

I’m not particularly a fan of Paul Weller though he has a few interesting songs. I would never have imagined a PSB collaboration but I’m looking forward to listening. I couldn’t really give a flying fig what anyone thinks about England or how significant it is either. I don’t live there but I can’t really grasp how anyone can predict that musically the country will be insignificant.
If I thought what you’d think I wouldn’t even be here.

NotInvisible

#42 Post by NotInvisible »

telys wrote: Sat 27 Feb 2021, 6:43 pmMerely pointing out his provincial scope of fame (and of course a slight teasing stab at the coming insignificance of Little England), not an international star just because the Gallaghers are his lookalikes.
He's famous is more than one country - that's the definition of an international star. Not sure I'd call success in America 'provincial' but you do you...

y3potential

#43 Post by y3potential »

tottenhammattspurs wrote: Sat 27 Feb 2021, 9:37 am Style Council better than The Jam is factually correct. 👌🏼
Well, with the greatest of respect that's not a fact whatsoever, merely a matter of opinion. For the record, I love both incarnations of Weller's career, plus his solo endeavours. The Jam were of the moment and 'instant'. Classic singles like Start!, Going Underground, That's Entertainment, Town Called Malice and Down in a Tube station will (for me) forever quite comfortably stand up against The Lodgers, Wanted and Come To Milton Keynes...
There is beauty in ugliness and ugliness in beauty.

PSBForTheMasses

#44 Post by PSBForTheMasses »

telys wrote: Sat 27 Feb 2021, 6:43 pm
NotInvisible wrote: Fri 26 Feb 2021, 1:53 pm
You guys are ridiculous. He's Paul Weller - any reasonably educated music fan will know him...
Merely pointing out his provincial scope of fame (and of course a slight teasing stab at the coming insignificance of Little England), not an international star just because the Gallaghers are his lookalikes.
I am from Turkey, and my friends and I know (and liked) Paul Weller both as a solo artist and from the Style Council (though admittedly he has never been a household name). I had had Our Favourite Shop but lost it somewhere during my moves. But I was not aware of the Jam.

Nickname

PSB remixing a song of Paul Weller

#45 Post by Nickname »

We could listen to it this summer.
Attachments
Weller-eav.png
Weller-eav.png (382.06 KiB) Viewed 4421 times