Sophie Ellis Bextor - It’s a Sin

For general discussion of Pet Shop Boys topics.
hotspotnot

Re: Sophie Ellis Bextor - It’s a Sin

#46 Post by hotspotnot »

minimal wrote: Wed 24 Feb 2021, 11:41 am Personally speaking, I've got to admit that it's quite possibly the most annoying cover version / video I've seen in quite some time as it's basically some highly uninterested and confused kids standing around a somewhat second class karaoke singer with a jump on the bandwagon performance. Honestly, I find that highly embarrassing in terms of ... well, everything. This clearly isn't what pop music is actually about.

m+
She's been doing online live shows since the pandemic began so hardly jumping on any bandwagon. With tours cancelled and both performers and gig-goers losing out, Sophie Ellis-Bextor has spent half an hour or so every few weeks singing her songs plus some cover versions for free from her kitchen to a live audience of about 5000 people. It's just a bit of fun for her fans, and that's exactly what pop music is about.

hotspotnot

#47 Post by hotspotnot »

Gabby wrote: Sat 20 Feb 2021, 2:54 pm Well, this thread went sideways fast for no reason. Is nobody entitled to an opinion on this forum?
What I don't get is the endless negativity. If you don't like something, you don't *have* to say anything. This forum has loads of threads where you can focus on the things you do like.

I haven't popped into the Daft Punk thread and said how much I dislike them...

leesmapman

#48 Post by leesmapman »

I can totally hear SEB sing In The Club Or In The Queue.

minimal

#49 Post by minimal »

It's indeed jump on the bandwagon to perform It's a sin. Otherwise I'm not interested in her videos and didn't know she's been performing that way ever since the pandemic started. However, it's not appealing to me either way.

m+

Dog

#50 Post by Dog »

minimal wrote:Personally speaking, I've got to admit that it's quite possibly the most annoying cover version / video I've seen in quite some time as it's basically some highly uninterested and confused kids standing around a somewhat second class karaoke singer with a jump on the bandwagon performance. Honestly, I find that highly embarrassing in terms of ... well, everything. This clearly isn't what pop music is actually about.

m+
Sophie Ellis-Bextor singing It’s A Sin live from her kitchen at the height of a global pandemic “not what pop is about”??

It’s hard to think of something that could be more pop.

Maybe Dua Lipa miming to Good Times from a collapsing glacier. Or the KLF with Kylie performing Dancing Queen from the top of the Mayan Pyramids. Or Nile Rodgers and Michael Jackson belting out Call Me Maybe from Prince’s private performance stage at Paisley Park.

Or New Order playing Regret live on Top of the Pops from the set of Baywatch.
Woof.

minimal

#51 Post by minimal »

Right, there's nothing subtle, creative, or poptastic about it. And that's why it's dead boring as much as the reason why I feel bored. Plus, the vocal performance is weak and the kids are embarrassing. Hopefully, the kids won't be embarrassed themselves in years to come when they'll possibly stumble upon it on the internet.

IMHO it's karaoke, not pop. Whereas karaoke is trying hard often going nowhere, pop transcends reality often leading to new insights or perspectives. SEB is only showing me what I already know or even don't want to see. So, I don't see anything poptastic about it. However, it looks like she's got a good time. So fair enough.

No offense, though. Glad to see she's not the only one having fun or finding it amusing. I'll stick to listening to the cover version of Olly, though.

m+

Greendrake

#52 Post by Greendrake »

The content of this post has been reserved by the author due to the unprecedented, categorical and peremptory exercise of censorship that took place on 20 May 2021.

Whereas this content can be restored, the author neither intends to do so, nor to publish any further posts to avoid any possible perception as "passive agressive", "pointless", "unhelpful", "homophobic" or "bigoted".
Last edited by Greendrake on Fri 21 May 2021, 3:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.

y3potential

#53 Post by y3potential »

It appears some people take things way, way too seriously.. Oh well...
There is beauty in ugliness and ugliness in beauty.

Scottydog

#54 Post by Scottydog »

It’s so good to have people like Sophie Ellis Bextor who are happy just to share some fun with her kids who actually love it too. It was never meant to be serious or anything other than an online party. She balances out the thankfully few people who are tediously dull and quite frankly depressing.
If I thought what you’d think I wouldn’t even be here.

minimal

#55 Post by minimal »

In spite of sounding like an old crock who's grown bitter over the years it appears pretty fun to me analysing how I feel about the performance of a pop star who's a public person and who's output therefore is open for debate and critique.

Much more depressing than SEB in all her way are the few people here who can't accept neither critique nor a voiced opinion and who consequently feel like denouncing people in a bad way. At least SEB got some style, you clearly don't.

m+

Waffleon

#56 Post by Waffleon »

minimal wrote: Wed 24 Feb 2021, 5:13 pm In spite of sounding like an old crock who's grown bitter over the years it appears pretty fun to me analysing how I feel about the performance of a pop star who's a public person and who's output therefore is open for debate and critique.

Much more depressing than SEB in all her way are the few people here who can't accept neither critique nor a voiced opinion and who consequently feel like denouncing people in a bad way. At least SEB got some style, you clearly don't.

m+

Normal non arse-cheese response = thanks for posting. If you enjoyed it, say so, if you didn't say nothing. If it was offensive/derogatory in a contraversial, noteworthy way, comment perhaps. Then maybe talk about SEB, unless just totally negative (because silence is a response). Comment on connections to PSB (it's a PSB website). The end?

minimal

#57 Post by minimal »

Is there actually someone in need of your "instruction"?

If people don't enjoy something they're very welcome to tell, say so, and comment on this as well as give the reasons why.

m+

Greendrake

#58 Post by Greendrake »

The content of this post has been reserved by the author due to the unprecedented, categorical and peremptory exercise of censorship that took place on 20 May 2021.

Whereas this content can be restored, the author neither intends to do so, nor to publish any further posts to avoid any possible perception as "passive agressive", "pointless", "unhelpful", "homophobic" or "bigoted".
Last edited by Greendrake on Fri 21 May 2021, 3:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.

E-Mail Vampire

#59 Post by E-Mail Vampire »

To be honest I find the Years&Years version dull and drains all the life out of the song. Sophie had fun with it.