#PSBWatch Opportunities in US TV commerical

For general discussion of Pet Shop Boys topics.
Nickname

Re: #PSBWatch Opportunities in US TV commerical

#76 Post by Nickname »

TwizzleUK wrote: Sat 13 Mar 2021, 4:54 pm
Nickname wrote: Sat 13 Mar 2021, 2:51 pm I asked to someone a few years ago if he could include in one mp3 file, Opportunities (reprise version) + Opportunities (Let's Make Lots Of Money) (Full Length Original Extended Dance Mix). He gave to me the result of it and it's brilliant. It works perfectly well like a full version of the song.
You mean like this version? https://youtu.be/unY8bdrbK7I
I am listening this whole thing and the one I have is a shorter version with the sound of a crowd in a party twice (reprise+ a shorter version but with the crowd on it too).

Sebastian_Surfleet

#77 Post by Sebastian_Surfleet »

Still #1 on the Dance/Electronic Sales Chart.

Four weeks in a row.

PSBForTheMasses

#78 Post by PSBForTheMasses »

Back to top 33 just when I was thinking it would freefall to the bottom of the chart. There is a kind of magic in that commercial :mrgreen:

Nickname

#79 Post by Nickname »

PSBForTheMasses wrote: Mon 22 Mar 2021, 3:11 am Back to top 33 just when I was thinking it would freefall to the bottom of the chart. There is a kind of magic in that commercial :mrgreen:
The commercial has a good vibe. You know, when you buy a car a drive it for the first time is so great. :dance:

The only thing you need is an amazing PSB song. 8)

Sebastian_Surfleet

#80 Post by Sebastian_Surfleet »

Welp, they've been knocked off the top spot this week on the Dance/Electronic Digital Songs Chart.

Down to No. 2.

I remain optimistic they can reclaim the top spot.

If not, it was still an impressive run for a 35 year old song.

PSBForTheMasses

#81 Post by PSBForTheMasses »

Sebastian_Surfleet wrote: Wed 24 Mar 2021, 8:33 am Welp, they've been knocked off the top spot this week on the Dance/Electronic Digital Songs Chart.

Down to No. 2.

I remain optimistic they can reclaim the top spot.

If not, it was still an impressive run for a 35 year old song.
What song is the number one?

Disco.

#82 Post by Disco. »

Tiesto= The Business

PSBForTheMasses

#83 Post by PSBForTheMasses »

Disco. wrote: Wed 24 Mar 2021, 7:28 pm Tiesto= The Business
Oh, then I don't see any chance for them to reclaim that spot as Tiesto is at number seven in iTunes charts (and Opport. at 44).

MikeyC

#84 Post by MikeyC »

Today I saw a commercial from a competing insurance company (Progressive) using a Culture Club song! Maybe they want some of the same success as Allstate!

PSBForTheMasses

#85 Post by PSBForTheMasses »

MikeyC wrote: Thu 25 Mar 2021, 7:19 am Today I saw a commercial from a competing insurance company (Progressive) using a Culture Club song! Maybe they want some of the same success as Allstate!
Ah I watched that one now. Karma Chameleon. It is almost a copycat but a poor copycat isn't it :D And also there is no love in the comments section unlike the Allstate ad, which is the champion of commercials so far this year :mrgreen: Culture Club is also on iTunes list but not as high as Opportunities (130 vs 44).

Sebastian_Surfleet

#86 Post by Sebastian_Surfleet »

Still No. 2 for two weeks now.

A good run.

PSBForTheMasses

#87 Post by PSBForTheMasses »

Sebastian_Surfleet wrote: Thu 01 Apr 2021, 8:24 am Still No. 2 for two weeks now.

A good run.
Still holding to number 34 in iTunes, which is now above Tiesto's Business. I guess the commercial is widely broadcast because there are some complaints of people that they have been tired of seeing or hearing it :mrgreen: More importantly, YouTube views have started to surge, which IMHO means reaching a wider audience than iTunes sales (the streaming is everything now, right?).

By the way, Simple Minds are also having a field day with Don't You Forget me and they suddenly appeared out of blue. Maybe the movie it was used in gets popular again. The Top100 list is interesting: There are more songs now blasting from the past than ever. Brian Adams, the Cranberries, Heart, Def Leppard, Fleetwod Mac, Goo Goo Dolls, Rod Stewart, Tom Petty, Bon Jovi, Poison are all on the list next of contemporary ones like Dua Lipa, Bruno Mars. I hope new generations are discovering them rather than middle and old age audience is discovering iTunes. :lol:

Sebastian_Surfleet

#88 Post by Sebastian_Surfleet »

PSBForTheMasses wrote: Sun 04 Apr 2021, 4:37 am
Sebastian_Surfleet wrote: Thu 01 Apr 2021, 8:24 am Still No. 2 for two weeks now.

A good run.
Still holding to number 34 in iTunes, which is now above Tiesto's Business. I guess the commercial is widely broadcast because there are some complaints of people that they have been tired of seeing or hearing it :mrgreen: More importantly, YouTube views have started to surge, which IMHO means reaching a wider audience than iTunes sales (the streaming is everything now, right?).

By the way, Simple Minds are also having a field day with Don't You Forget me and they suddenly appeared out of blue. Maybe the movie it was used in gets popular again. The Top100 list is interesting: There are more songs now blasting from the past than ever. Brian Adams, the Cranberries, Heart, Def Leppard, Fleetwod Mac, Goo Goo Dolls, Rod Stewart, Tom Petty, Bon Jovi, Poison are all on the list next of contemporary ones like Dua Lipa, Bruno Mars. I hope new generations are discovering them rather than middle and old age audience is discovering iTunes. :lol:
This is true.

I see the commercial at least once every couple hours. It is on all the time.

One can one say? The 80s have staying power.

Music, film, all still borrowing heavily from that decade, which many sociologists argues is easier for younger generations to relate to because of the technology of the day still being present even if the modern computers and cell phones are far more sophisticated.

And it really helps everything is in color.

When I was younger kid, and in my teens, the 60s were chronologically much closer to us in the 80s and 90s, than the 80s are to us now. But it seemed like a completely different era. Much of the media was in black and white, the fashions were completely different and there were no computers, no cell phones etc. Harder to relate to as a kid.

themgnt

#89 Post by themgnt »

Sebastian_Surfleet wrote: Mon 05 Apr 2021, 3:42 am When I was younger kid, and in my teens, the 60s were chronologically much closer to us in the 80s and 90s, than the 80s are to us now. But it seemed like a completely different era. Much of the media was in black and white, the fashions were completely different and there were no computers, no cell phones etc. Harder to relate to as a kid.
I believe that music technology has leveled out. The 80s introduced electronic music which still continues to today. Occasionally I'll play a game in the car. I'll ask my teenagers if a song we're listening to is from the 80s, 90s, 00s, or 10s. Unless there is some clue or prior knowledge they're usually stumped. I couldn't have played this game in the 80s. The 70s was classic rock and disco, which sounded very different to the catchy four chord pop and psychedelia of the 60s.

Opportunities might be from the 80s, but it can still sound somewhat modern to today's kids.

Sebastian_Surfleet

#90 Post by Sebastian_Surfleet »

themgnt wrote: Mon 05 Apr 2021, 3:56 am
Sebastian_Surfleet wrote: Mon 05 Apr 2021, 3:42 am When I was younger kid, and in my teens, the 60s were chronologically much closer to us in the 80s and 90s, than the 80s are to us now. But it seemed like a completely different era. Much of the media was in black and white, the fashions were completely different and there were no computers, no cell phones etc. Harder to relate to as a kid.
I believe that music technology has leveled out. The 80s introduced electronic music which still continues to today. Occasionally I'll play a game in the car. I'll ask my teenagers if a song we're listening to is from the 80s, 90s, 00s, or 10s. Unless there is some clue or prior knowledge they're usually stumped. I couldn't have played this game in the 80s. The 70s was classic rock and disco, which sounded very different to the catchy four chord pop and psychedelia of the 60s.

Opportunities might be from the 80s, but it can still sound somewhat modern to today's kids.
This is very true.

Fashion has also leveled out since the early 2000s.

Hard to say what has defined the past years culturally like one can point to in the 50s-90s.