#PSBWatch Opportunities in US TV commerical

For general discussion of Pet Shop Boys topics.
Message
Author
Nickname
Posts: 6467
Joined: Thu 30 Oct 2003, 3:52 pm
Contact:

Re: #PSBWatch Opportunities in US TV commerical

#91 Post by Nickname »

Opportunities is a bit weird, taking into account the European sound of PSB music. It doesn't sound like a European song, it sounds very American (USA, I mean). Many songs from Please sound like that. The influence of Bobby "O" is on it. In fact, the same happens to Why Don't We Live Together?. This song should have been a single in the 80's and I really believe it could have been a hit. Specially in USA.

I've always loved Opportunities.

By the way, the most famous song of 2020 in the world was Blinding Lights from The Weeknd. The song sounds like an 80's song. It reminds me in some way to Take on Me from A-Ha but much better the song from A-Ha. I don't know if I've said before.

User avatar
PopKid78
Posts: 206
Joined: Thu 08 Mar 2018, 10:33 am
Contact:

Re: #PSBWatch Opportunities in US TV commerical

#92 Post by PopKid78 »

It’s back at No1


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk


Nickname
Posts: 6467
Joined: Thu 30 Oct 2003, 3:52 pm
Contact:

Re: #PSBWatch Opportunities in US TV commerical

#94 Post by Nickname »

What about a new version of Opportunities with Cardi B on a duet?. I think it could work.

User avatar
Sebastian_Surfleet
Posts: 50
Joined: Sat 01 Feb 2020, 12:09 am
Contact:

Re: #PSBWatch Opportunities in US TV commerical

#95 Post by Sebastian_Surfleet »

PopKid78 wrote: Tue 13 Apr 2021, 10:16 am It’s back at No1


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Splendid!

I was a toddler during the Imperial Phase.

This must be a (very) small measure of the excitement of those days, seeing a single climb the charts to the top.

User avatar
Gabby
Posts: 775
Joined: Sun 17 Jan 2016, 6:31 pm
Contact:

Re: #PSBWatch Opportunities in US TV commerical

#96 Post by Gabby »

Sebastian_Surfleet wrote: Wed 14 Apr 2021, 6:13 am
PopKid78 wrote: Tue 13 Apr 2021, 10:16 am It’s back at No1


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Splendid!

I was a toddler during the Imperial Phase.

This must be a (very) small measure of the excitement of those days, seeing a single climb the charts to the top.
I think that's actually a fair comparison. It was fun and a little nailbiting to listen to the Radio 1 chart countdown on a Sunday night and wait to see where the Boys (or your favourite song that week) had landed.

Nickname
Posts: 6467
Joined: Thu 30 Oct 2003, 3:52 pm
Contact:

Re: #PSBWatch Opportunities in US TV commerical

#97 Post by Nickname »

Gabby wrote: Wed 14 Apr 2021, 4:56 pm
Sebastian_Surfleet wrote: Wed 14 Apr 2021, 6:13 am
PopKid78 wrote: Tue 13 Apr 2021, 10:16 am It’s back at No1


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Splendid!

I was a toddler during the Imperial Phase.

This must be a (very) small measure of the excitement of those days, seeing a single climb the charts to the top.
I think that's actually a fair comparison. It was fun and a little nailbiting to listen to the Radio 1 chart countdown on a Sunday night and wait to see where the Boys (or your favourite song that week) had landed.
You can find on Youtube the infroduction of the American Top 40 with PSB being Number 1 with West End Girls.

User avatar
telys
Posts: 484
Joined: Tue 23 Jun 2015, 9:03 pm
Contact:

Re: #PSBWatch Opportunities in US TV commerical

#98 Post by telys »

Gabby wrote: Wed 14 Apr 2021, 4:56 pm
Sebastian_Surfleet wrote: Wed 14 Apr 2021, 6:13 am
PopKid78 wrote: Tue 13 Apr 2021, 10:16 am It’s back at No1


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Splendid!

I was a toddler during the Imperial Phase.

This must be a (very) small measure of the excitement of those days, seeing a single climb the charts to the top.
I think that's actually a fair comparison. It was fun and a little nailbiting to listen to the Radio 1 chart countdown on a Sunday night and wait to see where the Boys (or your favourite song that week) had landed.
Yep, had the same in Sweden on Saturday afternoons, the countdown on Tracks the weekly radio chart (as voted by the listeners, who were everybody in those days). PSB were hugely successful on Tracks. It was them Madonna and Depeche.
----
You've got me all wrong

User avatar
onzio
Posts: 291
Joined: Tue 28 Oct 2003, 1:54 pm
Contact:

Re: #PSBWatch Opportunities in US TV commerical

#99 Post by onzio »

errr... is back at number one it seems...

https://www.billboard.com/charts/dance- ... 2021-04-17
The Onzio on Spotify
The Onzio on YouTube
Expressing passion, explaining pain
This is my kind of music


User avatar
Sebastian_Surfleet
Posts: 50
Joined: Sat 01 Feb 2020, 12:09 am
Contact:

Re: #PSBWatch Opportunities in US TV commerical

#101 Post by Sebastian_Surfleet »

I am starting to see the commercial even more often.

Hourly.


PSBForTheMasses
Posts: 338
Joined: Fri 14 Sep 2012, 7:01 pm
Contact:

Re: #PSBWatch Opportunities in US TV commerical

#103 Post by PSBForTheMasses »

Please is number one in Antigua and Barbuda of all places, lol. Unfortunately, they have a population of 97,000 people merely, so two copies sold probably propelled them to number one :D Last week Very was number one in Israel for a few days. If only they could hit the top spot in a very crowded market like China or Brasil... :roll:

User avatar
telys
Posts: 484
Joined: Tue 23 Jun 2015, 9:03 pm
Contact:

Re: #PSBWatch Opportunities in US TV commerical

#104 Post by telys »

Nickname wrote: Sat 17 Apr 2021, 10:06 am They like it:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wFm4-FFoocM
Yeah but they completely misunderstand the original intent.. the criticism of the yuppie era.
----
You've got me all wrong

User avatar
Gabby
Posts: 775
Joined: Sun 17 Jan 2016, 6:31 pm
Contact:

Re: #PSBWatch Opportunities in US TV commerical

#105 Post by Gabby »

telys wrote: Thu 29 Apr 2021, 8:57 am
Nickname wrote: Sat 17 Apr 2021, 10:06 am They like it:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wFm4-FFoocM
Yeah but they completely misunderstand the original intent.. the criticism of the yuppie era.
Misunderstood or not, its great to see a couple of younger people get genuinely excited for a PSB track released over 30 years ago. I hope they spread the word!

Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Bing [Bot] and 31 guests