It’s A Sin - Years & Years cover (Moderator Comment Post 276)

For general discussion of Pet Shop Boys topics.
retrofuturist

Re: It’s A Sin - Years & Years cover

#271 Post by retrofuturist »

Greetings,
NotInvisible wrote: Tue 18 May 2021, 11:42 pm 'Cancel culture' is just a buzzword to excuse vile behavior that the mainstream is thankfully no longer putting up with.
That's one take.

Another is that it's the latest in a long line of historical trends which showcase the intolerant human impulse to eliminate perspectives that one despises (e.g. the stoning of Jesus, the Crusades, the Salem witch trials, tar and feathering, Communist gulags, Nazi book burnings, pulling down statues).

What might be regarded by some as "the mainstream is thankfully no longer putting up with" could alternatively be "the mainstream would rather be intimidated into conformity than risk being vilified and harassed by the mob". As it is with individuals, so too with organisations, corporations and public figures like politicians and celebrities.

So I agree the status quo is certainly being changed, but it appears to be by coercion, rather than through reason and logic. As such, I wonder how much of the change would stick if the coercive element is removed, and whether the sustained coercion is giving rise to negative long-term effects such as resentment in those being coerced and threatened.

Anyway, such is the wonder of different perspectives being freely and respectfully shared, and why discussion forums are a superior format to re-education facilities IMHO. Assuming we follow the site's Terms of Service, we get to hear and share opinions, and make up our own minds, informed by a cross-section of views and sources of information.

All the best.

Retro. :)

NotInvisible

#272 Post by NotInvisible »

retrofuturist wrote: Tue 18 May 2021, 11:55 pmThat's one take.

Another is that it's the latest in a long line of historical trends which showcase the intolerant human impulse to eliminate perspectives that one despises
looks at the people who've been 'canceled'

Yeah, good luck with that hot take, chief.

Disco.

#273 Post by Disco. »

#40 in Wednesday’s midweek chart. It will certainly go up from last weeks entry.

telys

#274 Post by telys »

I've now given it a few listens without the visuals (which I detest, yet another Eurovision crap xtravaganza with dumb lights, colours, shapes and dancers). And my review: it's crap. Olly's singing is x-factor level generic, shows no pathos. The PSB production gives nothing new, just a subpar rehash of the original. There are a dozen heavy metal cover version which are better. The only good thing is Elton's voice.
----
You've got me all wrong

jasonjohn

#275 Post by jasonjohn »

telys wrote: Thu 20 May 2021, 8:04 amThe only good thing is Elton's voice.
OK this is an unexpected twist

Drico One

#276 Post by Drico One »

Moderator Comment: We've spent the evening cutting the filth and ugliness out of this thread. A few innocent or on-topic posts have had to be sacrificed in the process. It was impossible to excise the poison cleanly without taking another week, so apologies for the imperfect thread surgery. I have family responsibilities and a job and I have not been on regularly this week. Steve has also been occupied with life. Apologies for not being here to take quicker action.

Action has been taken this evening and is in the process of being taken. Unfortunately, we're going to be very busy over the coming days. For the avoidance of all doubt, homophobia and/or flagrant trolling have no place on this board. We're not interested in philosophical or semantic discussions about the definition of homophobia or what constitutes trolling and we won't indulge them. It's crystal clear to us that what went on met our understandings of these things. Posting patters remove room for any ambiguity an individual post might possess. If people don't agree, then this board is not for them. Any continuation of what was seen on this thread this week by anybody will result in immediate forum holidays and permanent forum bans for anybody who isn't already zapped.

We try to take a light touch here (some appreciate that, some don't) but there is a limit to what can be tolerated. In our absence, people have been given more than enough rope to hang themselves. If people choose to put it around their own neck, that's on them. There will be no more warnings or appeals for respecting fellow forumites or forum rules. We don't have the time nor the inclination to indulge people. If people cannot respect our wishes, they will have to go. Other forums are available. Steve and I will be on regularly over the coming days to take continued action. We appreciate your patience and cooperation. We won't be discussing this further.
The pale kid that hides in the attic behind his PC...