It’s A Sin - Years & Years cover (Moderator Comment Post 276)

For general discussion of Pet Shop Boys topics.
Disco.

Re: It’s A Sin - Years & Years cover

#256 Post by Disco. »

#36 in first midweek chart, would be great if it is in the Top 40 this coming Friday. Sold 7300 “copies” in the 2 days it was on sale last week.

PopKid78

#257 Post by PopKid78 »

Not sure if it matters these days, but have any radio stations been playing it?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

rashomon

#258 Post by rashomon »

Using Tapatalk app ... that picture of Elton is properly messing with my mind!

you could say conventional ... and I could claim intentional

le petit corbusier

#259 Post by le petit corbusier »

rashomon wrote:Using Tapatalk app ... that picture of Elton is properly messing with my mind!

Lol
Look left, then right
And run for your life

Disco.

#260 Post by Disco. »

PopKid78 wrote: Mon 17 May 2021, 8:19 pm Not sure if it matters these days, but have any radio stations been playing it?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Yes, it has been playlisted quite a bit.

psbfannyc

#261 Post by psbfannyc »

https://www.eltonjohn.com/stories/its-a-sin

It goes to a good cause I believe. I have been to some Elton John AIDS Foundation events over the years and I appreciate what they are doing.

"A significant and timely cultural moment that will undoubtedly shine a spotlight on the AIDS epidemic during the 80s and the ongoing epidemic in 2021, the collaboration and performance was inspired by the Russell T Davies TV series It’s a Sin. The series profoundly touched over 18 million viewers across Britain - and brought the fight against HIV/AIDS back into the public conversation at a crucial time in the battle to eradicate the virus. It’s a Sin starred Years & Years’ Olly Alexander in an acclaimed leading role, and drew a rapturous reception from fans and critics alike.

The single is released in support of the Elton John AIDS Foundation. Founded in 1992, the Elton John AIDS Foundation is one of the leading independent AIDS organisations in the world. The Foundation’s mission is simple: an end to the AIDS epidemic.

100% of Universal Music Operations Limited’s net proceeds (inc. all artists and producer shares) from the sale of this single shall be donated to the Elton John AIDS Foundation, a registered charity number 1017336 in England & Wales."

https://www.eltonjohnaidsfoundation.org/
Attachments
Screen Shot 2021-05-17 at 9.50.57 PM.png
Screen Shot 2021-05-17 at 9.50.57 PM.png (291.49 KiB) Viewed 760 times

Dog

#262 Post by Dog »

psbfannyc wrote:https://www.eltonjohn.com/stories/its-a-sin

It goes to a good cause I believe. I have been to some Elton John AIDS Foundation events over the years and I appreciate what they are doing.

"A significant and timely cultural moment that will undoubtedly shine a spotlight on the AIDS epidemic during the 80s and the ongoing epidemic in 2021, the collaboration and performance was inspired by the Russell T Davies TV series It’s a Sin. The series profoundly touched over 18 million viewers across Britain - and brought the fight against HIV/AIDS back into the public conversation at a crucial time in the battle to eradicate the virus. It’s a Sin starred Years & Years’ Olly Alexander in an acclaimed leading role, and drew a rapturous reception from fans and critics alike.

The single is released in support of the Elton John AIDS Foundation. Founded in 1992, the Elton John AIDS Foundation is one of the leading independent AIDS organisations in the world. The Foundation’s mission is simple: an end to the AIDS epidemic.

100% of Universal Music Operations Limited’s net proceeds (inc. all artists and producer shares) from the sale of this single shall be donated to the Elton John AIDS Foundation, a registered charity number 1017336 in England & Wales."

https://www.eltonjohnaidsfoundation.org/
It seems odd that, like at the BRITs, there’s no mention of Pet Shop Boys, either in their capacity of the song’s writers or producers. You would have thought the fact that the song’s original writers had produced a new version for Elton and Olly would merit a call out. You would assume it was an original composition if you didn’t know otherwise.
Woof.

leesmapman

#263 Post by leesmapman »

Dog wrote: Mon 17 May 2021, 10:14 pm It seems odd that, like at the BRITs, there’s no mention of Pet Shop Boys, either in their capacity of the song’s writers or producers. You would have thought the fact that the song’s original writers had produced a new version for Elton and Olly would merit a call out. You would assume it was an original composition if you didn’t know otherwise.
PSB get a mention earlier in the article.

Dog

#264 Post by Dog »

leesmapman wrote:
Dog wrote: Mon 17 May 2021, 10:14 pm It seems odd that, like at the BRITs, there’s no mention of Pet Shop Boys, either in their capacity of the song’s writers or producers. You would have thought the fact that the song’s original writers had produced a new version for Elton and Olly would merit a call out. You would assume it was an original composition if you didn’t know otherwise.
PSB get a mention earlier in the article.
Ah yes, I’ve clicked the other link now; so they do, cheers.
Woof.

Spittingcat

#265 Post by Spittingcat »

Of course you don't have to like Alexander's work (give Sanctify a spin though, I quite like that). It's the "too gay" comments about the performance that many have a problem with.

https://youtu.be/aXhzNsozCIw

retrofuturist

#266 Post by retrofuturist »

Greetings Spittingcat,

Thanks for the explanation and the recommendation. I'll check it out. King was a decent Y&Y song, even though I don't think Olly added much to Dreamland.

Retro. :)

Scottydog

#267 Post by Scottydog »

Have there been any comments about Andy Bells appearance, dress sense, stage act, openness, opinions or being ‘too gay’? I’ve not seen any recently.
Andy Bell has an exceptional voice but has only made a handful of songs I want to listen too. Olly Alexander has a good but average voice, is a really nice person and has only made two albums both of which I like immensely.
If I thought what you’d think I wouldn’t even be here.

Spittingcat

#268 Post by Spittingcat »

The only modern Erasure work I got into was the Violet Flame album and its singles... very good... Richard X can really get the best out of people. I'd still like him to be used for a whole PSB album.

Tom Angel

#269 Post by Tom Angel »

Spittingcat wrote: Tue 18 May 2021, 8:56 am The only modern Erasure work I got into was the Violet Flame album and its singles... very good... Richard X can really get the best out of people. I'd still like him to be used for a whole PSB album.
I absolutely agree! Will Young is lost without him and Violet Flame was amazing and FAR better than anything Erasure have done since their imperial phase.
in suits or sequins/or twin sets and pearls

NotInvisible

#270 Post by NotInvisible »

le petit corbusier wrote: Tue 18 May 2021, 10:56 pmWell, I have already explained that I don't like Olly's singing (in the Monkey Business video thread I already explained I am not gay or enjoy Drag shows), but if he wants to perform in see through clothes in a flamboyant attitude, let him be.
I'm baffled people don't get this - especially when it comes to music, where 'outrageous' presentation and theatricality is baked into the DNA of the medium. It just makes the critics sound old and tired. I don't even like Olly, but it literally wouldn't occur to me to blink at his presentation, much less write little essays about how it's 'distasteful'. None of these people complained about Wrecking Ball at the time, the bigotry at the root of the complaint is evident.

As a heterosexual PSB fan, I can say that not once have I ever thought about what goes on in their bedrooms, or whether a scantily clad backing dancer is male or female. It's simply not relevant to my experience, and I think the people who dwell on it are revealing much more about themselves than they imagine.