It’s A Sin - Years & Years cover (Moderator Comment Post 276)

For general discussion of Pet Shop Boys topics.
jasonjohn

Re: It’s A Sin - Years & Years cover

#241 Post by jasonjohn »

tottenhammattspurs wrote: Sun 16 May 2021, 11:50 am As a side note, Olly is in danger of becoming the 21st century Andy Bell. Being flamboyant and comfortable with your sexuality is fine, I couldn’t give two hoots who or floats anyone else’s boat, but you can’t keep that “profile” when you’re in your 50s.
I'm glad they got this out of their system in their 40s then.

Although - their last album opened with quite a bit of debauchery on the public transport system :shifty:

But seriously, I respect people who can defy their time in life, and find a way to be outward in their own way. PSB have always presented themselves as restrained, but it doesn't take much more than a second glance to see a tonne of cheeky subversions.
Last edited by jasonjohn on Sun 16 May 2021, 12:46 pm, edited 3 times in total.

jasonjohn

#242 Post by jasonjohn »

tucky101 wrote: Sun 16 May 2021, 11:02 am I would like the moderators and or admin of this forum to explain why they let one individual post so much homophobia. I complained Months ago but received no response.
Yeah it's probably time. It can't be easy being a moderator, trying to retain membership. But I wonder how many genuine fans we lose to this type stuff.

jasonjohn

#243 Post by jasonjohn »

double post, sorry not having a good day lol

tucky101

#244 Post by tucky101 »

jasonjohn wrote: Sun 16 May 2021, 12:36 pm [quote=tucky101 post_id=606722 time=<a href="tel:1621159333">1621159333</a> user_id=3786]
I would like the moderators and or admin of this forum to explain why they let one individual post so much homophobia. I complained Months ago but received no response.

Yeah it's probably time. It can't be easy being a moderator, trying to retain membership. But I wonder how many genuine fans we lose to this type stuff.
At least one.

If anyone is offended because a young gay artist danced effeminately on top of a piano then they are the one with the problem.

Nickname

#245 Post by Nickname »

I don't think PSB rejected to be on the stage because the design of the show was too camp. I'm straight but I'm very used to watch so many camp performances everywhere. Being Spanish, it's even more usual to see that kind of things on TV shows, adverts, series, movies from the 80's, etc. It has a big social, political and media support.

Even more, when I've been a massive fan of pop legends like Michael Jackson, Madonna, George Michael, Queen and of course, our PSB. Watching shows like Performance or Discovery, nothing can surprise us now.

My support to gay people.
Last edited by Nickname on Sun 16 May 2021, 8:35 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Sandy Shaw

#246 Post by Sandy Shaw »

Nickname wrote: Sun 16 May 2021, 1:01 pm I don't think PSB rejected to be on the stage because the design of the show was too camp. I'm straight but I'm very used to watch so many camp performances everywhere. Being Spanish, it's even more usual to see that kind of things on TV shows, adverts, series, movies from the 80's, etc. It has a big social, polytical and media support.

Even more, when I've been a massive fan of pop legends like Michael Jackson, Madonna, George Michael, Queen and of course, our PSB. Watching shows like Performances or Discovery, nothing can surprise us now.

My support to gay people.
Thank you. I'm sorry the thread has had the nastiness as it's a really interesting discussion on contracts, music production and credits, age, sexuality, chart success etc.
What's for supper?

Disco.

#247 Post by Disco. »

I’m straight, and I say let Olly do what he wants do it’s his right, can’t we stop being so ignorant to eachother, we are all humans, lets be kind to each other !

boyjohn

#248 Post by boyjohn »

tottenhammattspurs wrote: Sun 16 May 2021, 11:50 am As a side note, Olly is in danger of becoming the 21st century Andy Bell. Being flamboyant and comfortable with your sexuality is fine, I couldn’t give two hoots who or floats anyone else’s boat, but you can’t keep that “profile” when you’re in your 50s. You don’t get taken seriously. There’s a reason the Boys are revered and get Glastonbury slots and Andy Bell sings A Little Respect on Ant and Dec. Perhaps the It’s A Sin performance was just something they simply didn’t want to do.
Hopefully he will just be himself and the world will change to be more accepting.
“Unless you consciously include, you will unconsciously exclude”
-Stephen Frost

Dee

#249 Post by Dee »

There are people that 1.- never know when to stop 2.- don't accept that they're wrong.
I agree with everyone on the fact that however Ollie acts, or whoever acts, it's their thing and not something to disagree.
Let people be happy with what they do.

Anyways, I think Ollie did great in his performance. I didn't like his singing voice a lot, but somehow it managed to change my opinion :D
Last edited by Dee on Sun 16 May 2021, 5:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Happiness is an option :)

Suburban_Boy

#250 Post by Suburban_Boy »

Well, this is continuing to be awkward I see...

Nickname

#251 Post by Nickname »

It's funny because this version of song is not going to get a high position on the Official Singles Chart.
----

https://www.bigtop40.com/

The chart is compiled based on iTunes downloads, Apple Music streaming, and radio airplay from the stations that broadcast the show.[2] It is the only UK chart which includes radio airplay, much like the Billboard Hot 100 in the US. The algorithm differs to that of the Official Singles Chart, which includes physical sales, as well as downloads and streaming from all souces–but does not take radio airplay into account.

----

retrofuturist

#252 Post by retrofuturist »

Greetings,

Does anyone know whether there's an Instrumental version available to buy? Ideally in FLAC. Apologies if the question has already been asked or answered.

Thanks.

Retro. :)

eastendboy

#253 Post by eastendboy »

Although I don’t agree with some comments made in this thread I do respect that not everyone thinks the same. I’m not one for all this trolling nonsense and I’m sure the people who do it get something out of it but if I as to tweet Bono after seeing him on tv and tell him his outfit was disappointing wouldn’t boost my ego.

Maybe to wrap this thread up, performance was great, lots of people who maybe were not aware of the song have downloaded/streamed/shared etc. Apart from some nonsense stories about why Chris and Neil didn’t appear it has great to hear the song on the Brits and it’s had 1.4 million views on YouTube since last week.

I think Chris and Neil will write some songs for Olly in the future.

Markpro

#254 Post by Markpro »

Beginning to wonder why i came onto this thread now, some of the comments are unbelievable.
Anyway, my tuppence worth. I loved the staging, it was very flamboyant and diva like, but just like In Private Elton's vocals did not work well.
I'm a straight guy and could not care less if someone perceived it as gay or not gay, what ever the hell that is supposed to mean, it's a guy singing and a guy on the piano and it was a good performance and the public by and large loved it... So what if the boys couldn't get involved in it, I doubt PSB, Elton or Olly are losing any sleep over it.
I've been a Teenager since before you were born.

djx

#255 Post by djx »

Markpro wrote: Mon 17 May 2021, 2:48 pm Beginning to wonder why i came onto this thread now, some of the comments are unbelievable.
Anyway, my tuppence worth. I loved the staging, it was very flamboyant and diva like, but just like In Private Elton's vocals did not work well.
I'm a straight guy and could not care less if someone perceived it as gay or not gay, what ever the hell that is supposed to mean, it's a guy singing and a guy on the piano and it was a good performance and the public by and large loved it... So what if the boys couldn't get involved in it, I doubt PSB, Elton or Olly are losing any sleep over it.
:clap: :up: