Discovery 1994 - DVD/CD-Release

For general discussion of Pet Shop Boys topics.
canveyboy

Re: Discovery 1994 - DVD/CD-Release

#256 Post by canveyboy »

Andie wrote: Fri 30 Apr 2021, 11:35 am Looks great canveyboy 😎😀 Mine's on its way from the OS. Can't wait to watch it. It's the only concert of theirs that I saw live.
Oh wow! You’re so lucky to have seen this concert! Where did you see it?
Its taken me all of my life to find you

canveyboy

#257 Post by canveyboy »

tottenhammattspurs wrote: Fri 30 Apr 2021, 12:00 pm First time ever that something from the official store has arrived in the actual release day! I’m happy!
Same here! :) Hoping Annually and Cricket Wife will arrive as quickly next Friday too!
Its taken me all of my life to find you

OakeyDokey

#258 Post by OakeyDokey »

canveyboy wrote: Fri 30 Apr 2021, 12:05 pm
tottenhammattspurs wrote: Fri 30 Apr 2021, 12:00 pm First time ever that something from the official store has arrived in the actual release day! I’m happy!
Same here! :) Hoping Annually and Cricket Wife will arrive as quickly next Friday too!
Love Comes Quickly remix? (Cricket Wife Comes Quickly)

leesmapman

#259 Post by leesmapman »

Woohoo, I just got the DVD/CD set from my record store. Going to watch it tonight.

ype

#260 Post by ype »

I really enjoyed the booklet but it’s a bit strange / disappointing Neil’s diary ends the moment they leave for South America!

Patrick Bateman

#261 Post by Patrick Bateman »

ype wrote: Fri 30 Apr 2021, 2:43 pm I really enjoyed the booklet but it’s a bit strange / disappointing Neil’s diary ends the moment they leave for South America!
What happens in South America stays in South America.

Gabby

#262 Post by Gabby »

OakeyDokey wrote: Fri 30 Apr 2021, 12:28 pm
canveyboy wrote: Fri 30 Apr 2021, 12:05 pm
Love Comes Quickly remix? (Cricket Wife Comes Quickly)
...said the cricketer to his friend. :lol:

bongsteve

#263 Post by bongsteve »

zukunft wrote: Thu 29 Apr 2021, 2:43 pm Arrived today.
79153847-D486-41DC-ACAB-ECB93B05F0F5.jpeg
I must have missed the whole Pet Shop Boys Covers cassette...what is it?

mile_end_lee

#264 Post by mile_end_lee »

tottenhammattspurs wrote: Mon 26 Apr 2021, 11:51 am In hindsight, it’s utterly ridiculous that they didn’t tour the UK and/or Europe off the back of Very. That album catapulted them back after the muted Behaviour reception. Back with a bang after a greatest hits compilation that many would have thought would be the end. Their only UK number one album. Relentless was highly regarded in club circles, they were a draw on Saturday tv (morning and evening) and yet no tour! Can’t help thinking that had there have been a UK tour then subsequent releases (Bilingual etc) would have fared better.
Don't forget this time period must have been very difficult for both of them personally especially Chris as Pete Andreas was ill during the recording of Very and died (I believe) shortly before the Discovery Tour kicked off.

I suspect that was the main reason for no tour to support Very, and I also suspect that the upbeat Discovery tour was a chance to escape to far away lands and try and get some fun and happiness back into their lives.

I find the performance by Chris of Paninaro on this tour with the new lyrics obviously being about Pete (and which also feature in Paninaro 95 when it was released the following year) very moving.

Gabby

#265 Post by Gabby »

mile_end_lee wrote: Fri 30 Apr 2021, 3:43 pm
tottenhammattspurs wrote: Mon 26 Apr 2021, 11:51 am In hindsight, it’s utterly ridiculous that they didn’t tour the UK and/or Europe off the back of Very. That album catapulted them back after the muted Behaviour reception. Back with a bang after a greatest hits compilation that many would have thought would be the end. Their only UK number one album. Relentless was highly regarded in club circles, they were a draw on Saturday tv (morning and evening) and yet no tour! Can’t help thinking that had there have been a UK tour then subsequent releases (Bilingual etc) would have fared better.
Don't forget this time period must have been very difficult for both of them personally especially Chris as Pete Andreas was ill during the recording of Very and died (I believe) shortly before the Discovery Tour kicked off.

I suspect that was the main reason for no tour to support Very, and I also suspect that the upbeat Discovery tour was a chance to escape to far away lands and try and get some fun and happiness back into their lives.

I find the performance by Chris of Paninaro on this tour with the new lyrics obviously being about Pete (and which also feature in Paninaro 95 when it was released the following year) very moving.
That's a really great point about the timing. I will go into viewing this with that in mind. It must have been a very bittersweet tour to put on.

le petit corbusier

#266 Post by le petit corbusier »

mile_end_lee wrote:

I've always thought the same about this tour and Paninaro and Paninaro 95. Must have been very tough and bittersweet times. Having at last your first UK #1 and a mega hit like Go West and having to deal with the loss of a loved one.

Enviado desde mi M2007J17G mediante Tapatalk

Look left, then right
And run for your life

leesmapman

#267 Post by leesmapman »

bongsteve wrote: Fri 30 Apr 2021, 3:37 pm
zukunft wrote: Thu 29 Apr 2021, 2:43 pm Arrived today.
79153847-D486-41DC-ACAB-ECB93B05F0F5.jpeg
I must have missed the whole Pet Shop Boys Covers cassette...what is it?
https://twitter.com/petshopboys/status/ ... 3777325057

hotspotnot

#268 Post by hotspotnot »

Touring wasn't as much of an essential activity in 1993/4 surely? They didn't do a world tour until Nightlife.

OakeyDokey

#269 Post by OakeyDokey »

Yep, it was still mostly about record sales.

When did Pete Andreas die ?

Disco.

#270 Post by Disco. »