Russell T Davis: It's A Sin

For general discussion of Pet Shop Boys topics.
Message
Author
NotInvisible
Posts: 281
Joined: Thu 10 Oct 2013, 7:58 am
Contact:

Re: Russell T Davis: It's A Sin

#166 Post by NotInvisible »

Greendrake wrote: Wed 10 Feb 2021, 8:06 pmI am, however, struck by his obsession with demonstrating his orientation.
You don't say this at any obvious display of heterosexuality, of course. "No phobia" indeed.

User avatar
Greendrake
Posts: 845
Joined: Wed 29 Oct 2003, 6:56 pm
Contact:

Re: Russell T Davis: It's A Sin

#167 Post by Greendrake »


The content of this post has been reserved by the author due to the unprecedented, categorical and peremptory exercise of censorship that took place on 20 May 2021.

Whereas this content can be restored, the author neither intends to do so, nor to publish any further posts to avoid any possible perception as "passive agressive", "pointless", "unhelpful", "homophobic" or "bigoted".
Last edited by Greendrake on Fri 21 May 2021, 3:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
boyjohn
Posts: 1606
Joined: Wed 18 Jan 2006, 5:24 pm
Contact:

Re: Russell T Davis: It's A Sin

#168 Post by boyjohn »

Greendrake wrote: Wed 10 Feb 2021, 8:58 pm
boyjohn wrote: Wed 10 Feb 2021, 8:18 pm The fact that you think it's "bizarre" means that the world hasn't got where it needs to be yet and he is doing totally the right thing.
Like all movies/TV shows need to be about nothing but sex. Is that where the world needs to be? :mrgreen: (I think we're almost there actually)
NotInvisible wrote: Wed 10 Feb 2021, 8:50 pm You don't say this at any obvious display of heterosexuality, of course. "No phobia" indeed.
I would equally be struck by a straight actor saying that he won't play anybody but a male pursuing females for sex.
Where did he say that his roles had to be about pursuing someone for sex?
“Unless you consciously include, you will unconsciously exclude”
-Stephen Frost

NotInvisible
Posts: 281
Joined: Thu 10 Oct 2013, 7:58 am
Contact:

Re: Russell T Davis: It's A Sin

#169 Post by NotInvisible »

Greendrake wrote: Wed 10 Feb 2021, 8:58 pmI would equally be struck by a straight actor saying that he won't play anybody but a male pursuing females for sex.
You would be struck by that because it's assumed as the default. Most actors simply don't play gay characters. You are either ignorant or blinded by your inherent homophobic bias.

NotInvisible
Posts: 281
Joined: Thu 10 Oct 2013, 7:58 am
Contact:

Re: Russell T Davis: It's A Sin

#170 Post by NotInvisible »

boyjohn wrote: Wed 10 Feb 2021, 9:06 pmWhere did he say that his roles had to be about pursuing someone for sex?
Most homophobes operate under the delusion that acknowledging homosexuality is inherently about sexual pursuit whereas heterosexual characters are only seen through a sexual lens if the character is explicitly discussing or engaging in sex itself. It's a double standard stemming from an innate homophobia.

User avatar
Greendrake
Posts: 845
Joined: Wed 29 Oct 2003, 6:56 pm
Contact:

Re: Russell T Davis: It's A Sin

#171 Post by Greendrake »


The content of this post has been reserved by the author due to the unprecedented, categorical and peremptory exercise of censorship that took place on 20 May 2021.

Whereas this content can be restored, the author neither intends to do so, nor to publish any further posts to avoid any possible perception as "passive agressive", "pointless", "unhelpful", "homophobic" or "bigoted".
Last edited by Greendrake on Fri 21 May 2021, 3:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
Future Lover
Posts: 866
Joined: Mon 14 Jul 2014, 1:04 am
Contact:

Re: Russell T Davis: It's A Sin

#172 Post by Future Lover »

NotInvisible wrote: Wed 10 Feb 2021, 9:40 pm
boyjohn wrote: Wed 10 Feb 2021, 9:06 pmWhere did he say that his roles had to be about pursuing someone for sex?
Most homophobes operate under the delusion that acknowledging homosexuality is inherently about sexual pursuit whereas heterosexual characters are only seen through a sexual lens if the character is explicitly discussing or engaging in sex itself. It's a double standard stemming from an innate homophobia.
This is a perfect and succinct explanation. Wish I had your skill and calmness! :clap: I'm glad most of us agree, and that these excesses get the much deserved clapbacks.

User avatar
boyjohn
Posts: 1606
Joined: Wed 18 Jan 2006, 5:24 pm
Contact:

Re: Russell T Davis: It's A Sin

#173 Post by boyjohn »

Greendrake wrote: Wed 10 Feb 2021, 10:07 pm
boyjohn wrote: Wed 10 Feb 2021, 9:06 pm Where did he say that his roles had to be about pursuing someone for sex?
Doesn't need to be taken literally as running after someone to get them laid down.
The point is that, ultimately, making a character's orientation explicitly communicated to the audience is supposed to tell whether the character would go for males or females. And yeah, the pursuit is ultimately for sex (no platonic bullshit thanks).
I actually only see Spanish text on that link, so what exactly he said I know from Nickname only.
NotInvisible wrote: Wed 10 Feb 2021, 9:37 pm You would be struck by that because it's assumed as the default. Most actors simply don't play gay characters.
You are totally missing the point. Film acting is not all about playing straight or gay.
Almost all movies have some sort of romance angle. Most of them are straight. Why aren't you complaining about the actors who make this part of their roles?
“Unless you consciously include, you will unconsciously exclude”
-Stephen Frost

User avatar
Greendrake
Posts: 845
Joined: Wed 29 Oct 2003, 6:56 pm
Contact:

Re: Russell T Davis: It's A Sin

#174 Post by Greendrake »


The content of this post has been reserved by the author due to the unprecedented, categorical and peremptory exercise of censorship that took place on 20 May 2021.

Whereas this content can be restored, the author neither intends to do so, nor to publish any further posts to avoid any possible perception as "passive agressive", "pointless", "unhelpful", "homophobic" or "bigoted".
Last edited by Greendrake on Fri 21 May 2021, 3:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
boyjohn
Posts: 1606
Joined: Wed 18 Jan 2006, 5:24 pm
Contact:

Re: Russell T Davis: It's A Sin

#175 Post by boyjohn »

Greendrake wrote: Wed 10 Feb 2021, 10:54 pm
boyjohn wrote: Wed 10 Feb 2021, 10:27 pm Why aren't you complaining about the actors who make this part of their roles?
Because I've never heard any actor say he is "not interested in playing a role of a person if he is not straight". Lots of roles have nothing to do with telling the audience what orientation the character has. By saying what Olly allegedly said, he pulls out of all such roles and only wishes to play those where his orientation is communicated.
There are plenty of times where actors have refused to play gay roles. Also, there have been times where actors have asked that gay overtones be removed from their roles. I suggest you investigate this.

And there would be no reason for an actor to come out and say this in advance, because being straight is the more common role, so why would he say that?

It really sounds like you are uncomfortable with people being gay. I suggest you get some help to try and overcome this.
“Unless you consciously include, you will unconsciously exclude”
-Stephen Frost

User avatar
Greendrake
Posts: 845
Joined: Wed 29 Oct 2003, 6:56 pm
Contact:

Re: Russell T Davis: It's A Sin

#176 Post by Greendrake »


The content of this post has been reserved by the author due to the unprecedented, categorical and peremptory exercise of censorship that took place on 20 May 2021.

Whereas this content can be restored, the author neither intends to do so, nor to publish any further posts to avoid any possible perception as "passive agressive", "pointless", "unhelpful", "homophobic" or "bigoted".
Last edited by Greendrake on Fri 21 May 2021, 3:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.

NotInvisible
Posts: 281
Joined: Thu 10 Oct 2013, 7:58 am
Contact:

Re: Russell T Davis: It's A Sin

#177 Post by NotInvisible »

Greendrake wrote: Wed 10 Feb 2021, 10:07 pmYou are totally missing the point. Film acting is not all about playing straight or gay.
Straight actors have historically refused to play gay characters, and the history of film is littered with examples of gay text being turned into subtext, and gay subtext stamped out altogether. Philadelphia and Brokeback Mountain made headlines specifically because heterosexual actors agreeing to portray gay characters was (and is) rare.
Greendrake wrote: Wed 10 Feb 2021, 11:28 pmExpress your point of view and get a bunch of diagnoses and advices.
That should probably tell you something about your point of view.

User avatar
leesmapman
Posts: 2070
Joined: Wed 03 May 2006, 11:51 am
Contact:

Re: Russell T Davis: It's A Sin

#178 Post by leesmapman »

I watched the series this weekend with my girlfriend and I'm blown away by it. Drama on the highest level. Beautifully written and sometimes painful to watch. Excellent work of art. This coming from someone who likes film over that plebeian TV series format. Pah.

I found some new respect for songs like Being Boring and The Survivors because of this.

User avatar
oakey
Posts: 317
Joined: Sat 27 Apr 2013, 5:07 pm
Contact:

Re: Russell T Davis: It's A Sin

#179 Post by oakey »

It’s a sin will be released on bluray and DVD in the UK next week (Feb 22)

Nickname
Posts: 6496
Joined: Thu 30 Oct 2003, 3:52 pm
Contact:

Re: Russell T Davis: It's A Sin

#180 Post by Nickname »

Nobody says there wasn't a homophobia in the history of the world and in our culture. Of course, it really exists today. Fortunately, I live in one of the less homophobic countries in the world. Since the 70's and 80's many famous straight men and women artist have been played gay roles in audiovisual productions. Antonio Banderas was one of them and when he went to America, he played a gay role in probably the first American (USA) big production about gay relationships and aids: Philadelphia.

I think Spain was the first or second country to create a law for gay marriage.

But hatred is part of human beings. Some men hate women, some white people hate black people, some straight people hate gay people. But hatred can go in a inverse way. Some women hate men, some black people hate white people, some gay people hate straight people.

I'm not saying Olly is heterophobic, I don't think so, but I think he should find some more appropiated to support gay world and rights than using the same sentence, straight actors could say in a reverse way expressing homophobia.
Last edited by Nickname on Thu 18 Feb 2021, 9:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Google [Bot] and 19 guests