Actually vs Introspective, choose the best one

For general discussion of Pet Shop Boys topics.

Choose the best one

Actually
50%
Introspective
50%

Total votes: 54

Nickname

Actually vs Introspective, choose the best one

#1 Post by Nickname »

Help!, another new Nickname's poll. Children and women first.

The 2 big PSB's album. Maybe Behaviour and Very have their options too but, I think for general public, these two albums represent the most influential and successful era of PSB. So, choose the best one.

Greendrake

Re: Actually vs Introspective, choose the best one

#2 Post by Greendrake »

I disagree that Introspective represents the imperial era. None of the 4 no. 1 singles are from it (Always on my mind was either standalone or attached to Actually anyhow). It simply caught the momentum — came out when PSB were big.

Future Lover

#3 Post by Future Lover »

I wonder if Nickname actually enjoys anything post-1990.

Dog

#4 Post by Dog »

Introspective is when they went batshit crazy isn’t it? It’s the prog rock of disco:

Six tracks averaging eight minutes each
Multiple producers, and Frankie Knuckles
Massive orchestra
Latin band
Big house / rap breakdown in the middle of an Elvis ballad
An acid house anthem
A song about dogs

It might have signalled the end of the imperial phase but the whole thing was clearly put together by PSB at the height of their success, and not taking no for an answer. They even tried to get Eric Clapton to play guitar on I Get Excited, originally intended for the album.

On paper it’s utterly wrong, but it sounds so right.
Woof.

Nickname

#5 Post by Nickname »

Greendrake wrote:
Tue 16 Jun 2020, 3:25 pm
I disagree that Introspective represents the imperial era. None of the 4 no. 1 singles are from it (Always on my mind was either standalone or attached to Actually anyhow). It simply caught the momentum — came out when PSB were big.

In 1989, PSB was quite Imperial too. Domino Dancing was Number 1 in latin countries, like Spain. It was a very successful song everywhere except UK. I'm not Scard (Patsy Kensit version) was Number 1 in countries like Italy. Always on my Mind was worldwide hit with several Number Ones (but I see what you mean it's attached to Actually), Left to my own Devices and It's Alright were quite succesful too.

At that time, PSB was still at the top.

negative_0ne

#6 Post by negative_0ne »

To me there is no competition.

Introspective crushes Actually in every way, shape and form.

No, its not fair that they choose to make extended versions instead of actual
tracks.

If they did, it would have been this EP: (japan) in depth
https://www.discogs.com/Pet-Shop-Boys-I ... ster/33737

Tracklist
It's Alright 4:22
One Of The Crowd 3:56
Your Funny Uncle 2:18
Always On My Mind 3:57
Domino Dancing 4:20
Left To My Own Devices 4:45

Total Time: 23:38

Which would have been awesome anyway, but not a real album.

I know The Pet Shop Boys consider Introspective an album, but to me, it's more like Disco,
and should be considered more of a remix album, even though it's mostly new music.

later

Disco.

#7 Post by Disco. »

Greendrake wrote:
Well, its their best selling album, so fair to say that its from their imperial era.

Pod

#8 Post by Pod »

Introspective for me by some distance. Two quite different albums really, but by God, the stripey one was them at the absolute peak of their powers. Chris’ interest in house music coupled with Neil’s vocal perfection = PSB at the top of their game. That said, I adore King’s Cross, but as an album - there is only one (check my avatar).
Just for the sake of it, make sure you're always frowning. :|
It shows the world that you've got substance and depth.

East End Bhoy

#9 Post by East End Bhoy »

Yikes! - its a tough one.

But ultimately I'd have to go for Introspective. I always used to think the sound on Introspective is what you would use to show the capabilities of a good hi-fi system.
1991-Glasgow, 1999-Glasgow, 2002-Edinburgh, 2006-Newcastle, 2007-Manchester, 2009-Manchester, 2009-Glasgow, 2014-Glasgow, 2016-London, 2017-Glasgow

D.J.

#10 Post by D.J. »

Actually made them my favorite music artist in my childhood. Introspective made sure they are my favorite artist for life.

Marie loves PSB

#11 Post by Marie loves PSB »

D.J. wrote:
Wed 17 Jun 2020, 7:04 am
Actually made them my favorite music artist in my childhood. Introspective made sure they are my favorite artist for life.
Same here D.J.! Both excellent albums. :up: My Mum gave me a choice of either buying Michael Jackson's Bad record or PSB's Actually at the time. I went and chose Michael Jackson in the end. :shock: Then a little while after my Mum bought me PSB's Actually and Michael Jackson's Bad got the boot. :lol: Actually was played over and over. It was my first PSB's album and fan for life.

When I first heard Introspective - the wonderful Left to my own devices intro I thought that some one had put the wrong label on the record and it wasn't them! I didn't expect that sort of intro. 8)

TwizzleUK

#12 Post by TwizzleUK »

Marie loves PSB wrote: When I first heard Introspective - the wonderful Left to my own devices intro I thought that some one had put the wrong label on the record and it wasn't them! I didn't expect that sort of intro. 8)
Me as well! I think I stopped it, had a closer look at the record, then put it back on again. Realised what was going on when I eventually got to the the beats and bass kicking in!

Andie

#13 Post by Andie »

Both albums are great, but Introspective gets my vote every time. My favourite track is still "I want a dog" 8)
Don’t be scared, for only the dark can show you the stars

Nickname

#14 Post by Nickname »

Marie loves PSB wrote:
Wed 17 Jun 2020, 9:25 am
D.J. wrote:
Wed 17 Jun 2020, 7:04 am
Same here D.J.! Both excellent albums. :up: My Mum gave me a choice of either buying Michael Jackson's Bad record or PSB's Actually at the time. I went and chose Michael Jackson in the end. :shock: Then a little while after my Mum bought me PSB's Actually and Michael Jackson's Bad got the boot. :lol: Actually was played over and over. It was my first PSB's album and fan for life.

When I first heard Introspective - the wonderful Left to my own devices intro I thought that some one had put the wrong label on the record and it wasn't them! I didn't expect that sort of intro. 8)
What amazing albums!, I don't put the blame of you because you chose Bad. I'd probably do the same. I'm a big fan of MJ. In fact, PSB and MJ were my favourite artists of all time. Bad is amazing and Actually too, both were at the top of the charts being Number 1 and Number 2. It's a pity because PSB could get Number 1 if MJ didn't release his album at that time. Anyway, very good and happy times for the music.

TallThinMan

#15 Post by TallThinMan »

Nickname wrote:
Tue 16 Jun 2020, 6:20 pm
Greendrake wrote:

In 1989, PSB was quite Imperial too. Domino Dancing was Number 1 in latin countries, like Spain. It was a very successful song everywhere except UK. I'm not Scard (Patsy Kensit version) was Number 1 in countries like Italy. Always on my Mind was worldwide hit with several Number Ones (but I see what you mean it's attached to Actually), Left to my own Devices and It's Alright were quite succesful too.

At that time, PSB was still at the top.
Domino Dancing came out in 1988, not 1989. I also see from Wikipedia that it was number one in the Latin countries Finland and Poland.