Hey, Super - that's a really good album

For general discussion of Pet Shop Boys topics.
Future Lover

Re: Hey, Super - that's a really good album

#16 Post by Future Lover »

I can't help but fear the period that comes after. I fear that they will slip again without Stuart's input. Since I've heard that "Burning the heather" was meant for the next album, I feel like another "Release/Elysium" nadir is coming.

bongsteve

#17 Post by bongsteve »

Not a big fan of Happiness (music is fine, singing kills it for me) or Pazzo! Undertow sounds a bit too much like it should be sung by one of those manufactured girl bands but I don't hate it. The rest of the album is just fine. Not their best but certainly not their worst...IMO of course.

telys

#18 Post by telys »

Remember, the key is to listen straight through the album from Happiness to Into thin air, it's then that it's clear that it's a great album. The mix of fast and slow tracks flows really well. The mix of themes also makes it a great listen. Although, as it's clear by now, I like when PSB do socio-political commentaries, the occasional pause in order to just dance it off is not something I shun.

I did a similiar listen with Bilingual today and it didn't flow well, although that album contain a few of the PSB very best songs. Electric doesn't either Bolshy and Love is a b c are too long. It's a sad fact that by the time they did Super, an album full of 6-minute worthy tracks, the whole trend went towards shorter songs.
----
You've got me all wrong

Scottydog

#19 Post by Scottydog »

Future Lover wrote:
Wed 22 Apr 2020, 7:24 pm
I can't help but fear the period that comes after. I fear that they will slip again without Stuart's input. Since I've heard that "Burning the heather" was meant for the next album, I feel like another "Release/Elysium" nadir is coming.
Excellent. Release and Elysium are two of my favourite albums 😊
If I thought what you’d think I wouldn’t even be here.

Dog

#20 Post by Dog »

Scottydog wrote:
Future Lover wrote:
Excellent. Release and Elysium are two of my favourite albums Image
I’d quite happily have 60 minutes of self-produced, stripped back, absolute utter PSB misery. Piano and minimal electronics.
Woof.

Spittingcat

#21 Post by Spittingcat »

I’m still hoping for a dark guitar led album at some point… if it’s next album, I’ll be pleased.

Still rate Super very highly indeed.

NikacP0kac

#22 Post by NikacP0kac »

Personally, I'm waiting for that dark techno they promised. Could be an EP for all I care, as long as it comes out.
Have a look at my taste in music:
http://www.last.fm/user/NikacPokac

That’s the thing about negative energy, about hatred. It can be positive. It throws into relief all the things you know you like. It tells you, by elimination, what you’re about. Sometimes you can only define yourself by what you hate. Hatred becomes an inspiration; it makes you think, “What I’m doing now I totally believe in, and I don’t care what other people say.” Guided by hatred, you don’t have to follow the herd. - Neil Tennant

retrofuturist

#23 Post by retrofuturist »

Super - recently voted 3rd best of the Stuart Price albums by Pet Shop Boys fans online!

:up:

Dog

#24 Post by Dog »

NikacP0kac wrote:Personally, I'm waiting for that dark techno they promised. Could be an EP for all I care, as long as it comes out.
I think it’s a bit of a stretch to say they promised an EP. They are asked about the “dark techno” tracks in the new Annually and it’s clear there isn’t a batch of tracks waiting to come out. Neil says something like there are a few second rate songs kicking about: Clean air hybrid; Collector’s item.
Woof.

Grover

#25 Post by Grover »

Dog wrote:
Wed 22 Apr 2020, 10:41 pm
I’d quite happily have 60 minutes of self-produced, stripped back, absolute utter PSB misery. Piano and minimal electronics.
You will like ‘New Boy’, it fits that bill amazingly. What a beauty of a song. Nothing beats vintage PSB.

glennjridge

#26 Post by glennjridge »

speaking of vintage PSB I was thinking...they brought back the synth horns for New Boy, but they seem to have resisted the patented PSB orchestra hits sound. I cant remember the last time they used it. maybe can you forgive her.

jasonjohn

#27 Post by jasonjohn »

Future Lover wrote:
Can't wait for another Elysium / Behaviour / Fundamental.

They always do contrasts and (after 3 Price albums) of course they'll drop something more eclectic next.

Pod

#28 Post by Pod »

jasonjohn wrote:
Sun 26 Apr 2020, 1:18 pm
Future Lover wrote:
Can't wait for another Elysium / Behaviour / Fundamental.

They always do contrasts and (after 3 Price albums) of course they'll drop something more eclectic next.
As long as it’s more Behaviour than Elysium.
Just for the sake of it, make sure you're always frowning. :|
It shows the world that you've got substance and depth.

jasonjohn

#29 Post by jasonjohn »

They can decide themselves, surely :)

More likely something different again.

All their albums are quite unique, despite of the cliche of "always using the same dance beat" and "so pet shop boys"

NotInvisible

#30 Post by NotInvisible »

Future Lover wrote:
Hearing that "Burning the heather" was originally intended for the next album got me really excited about it. It's one of their best tracks in years. Whenever fans moan about Release/Elysium I just think of how Behaviour would have a similar reception today, especially with the way some folks have complained about "New boy" despite being an Imperial era song!

IMO Release literally saved their career and opened up the spectacular genre growth we've seen in the 21st Century material. Elysium suffers from a poor track listing and would have been much better received with something like this:

Leaving
Invisible
In slow motion
A face like that
Your early stuff
A certain 'je ne sais quoi'
One night
In his imagination
Breathing space
Requiem in denim and leopardskin

Although I'm one of those weirdos who actually likes "Give it a go" and "Hold on" and think "Winner" is a decent pop song that should have been handed off to Take That.