Hotspot - Further Listening

For general discussion of Pet Shop Boys topics.
daveid

Re: Hotspot - Further Listening

#16 Post by daveid »

The good thing about any potential x2 further listenings is that they can be a bit flexible with the time frame. Yes, Electric FL is a bit sparse but they could easily take it through to late 2014 or even early 2015 if necessary. It could include the two versions of The lost room and One hit wonder. Super FL could then pick up immediately after this. Electric FL could be a bit like this:

Further listening 2012-2014

Vocal (video edit)
Love is a bourgeois construct (Night time radio edit)
Entschuldigung!
Get it online
Thursday (radio edit / no rap version)
No more ballads
Odd man out
Fluorescent (Indio/Cali mix)
Oppressive (If they have rights to issue it. Not sure if it's really a proper PSB song)
The lost room
The lost room (Jazz version)
One hit wonder
Will you love me?

Plus any other bits and pieces lying about

Super FL could then go from 2015 to 2017
Hotspot 2017 to 2019.

TwizzleUK

#17 Post by TwizzleUK »

Dog wrote: Sun 19 Apr 2020, 11:35 am I always like to use the Annually diaries to order my own Further Listening style playlists. From studying the new edition, does anyone have any builds or tweaks to the following?

1. New boy
2. The forgotten child
3. What are we going to do about the rich?
4. Give stupidity a chance
5. On social media
6. An open mind
7. Dreamland (PSB remix)
8. Angelic thug
9. Johnny’s dark side
10. Beautiful laundrette
11. Night sings (Popa’s Theme)
12. Decide
13. No boundaries
14. At rock bottom
Any idea where Omar's Theme and Johnny's Theme would sit in this chronology/playlist?

Dog

#18 Post by Dog »

TwizzleUK wrote:
Dog wrote: Sun 19 Apr 2020, 11:35 am I always like to use the Annually diaries to order my own Further Listening style playlists. From studying the new edition, does anyone have any builds or tweaks to the following?

1. New boy
2. The forgotten child
3. What are we going to do about the rich?
4. Give stupidity a chance
5. On social media
6. An open mind
7. Dreamland (PSB remix)
8. Angelic thug
9. Johnny’s dark side
10. Beautiful laundrette
11. Night sings (Popa’s Theme)
12. Decide
13. No boundaries
14. At rock bottom
Any idea where Omar's Theme and Johnny's Theme would sit in this chronology/playlist?
Annually would have Omar’s theme as the first Beautiful Laundrette track recorded, with Johnny’s theme recorded immediately after Angelic thug (not surprising given it’s just its instrumental mix).
Woof.

daveid

#19 Post by daveid »

It's not exactly the same. Johnny's theme has a synth trumpet line.

Dog

#20 Post by Dog »

Now My Beautiful Laundrette is on Spotify I’ve added this as a Hotspot: Further Listening playlist. I’ve added the Cricket wife single tracks to the end, although it may transpire that these belong to the next album era:

https://open.spotify.com/playlist/3IN6x ... Pv4Jk5D0Ow
Woof.

sweetrevenge

#21 Post by sweetrevenge »

jules wrote: Sun 19 Apr 2020, 4:32 pm You already want to bury an album that have just been released. Let the album breath a bit before talking about these atrocious reissues.
What exactly is atrocious about an expanded reissue of an album offering unreleased tracks, demos and a booklet full of informations from artists we’re supposed to love ? I’m curious to hear your point.

retrofuturist

#22 Post by retrofuturist »

Greetings,

Maybe if you look at the timestamp of Jules's comment and then look up the release date for Hotspot the comment might make a bit more sense.

Retro. :)

Dog

#23 Post by Dog »

retrofuturist wrote:Greetings,

Maybe if you look at the timestamp of Jules's comment and then look up the release date for Hotspot the comment might make a bit more sense.

Retro. :)
Although my original post wasn’t about any reissue.
Woof.

glennjridge

#24 Post by glennjridge »

Sage wrote: Sun 19 Apr 2020, 1:07 pm For me the primary and almost sole appeal for the FL albums is the exclusive tracks.
Super FL and Hotspot FL if they ever happen better have a handful of unreleased tracks and demos.
I already listen to music on streaming services, so adding existing b-sides to a CD is practically pointless.
For example Release FL has 9 tracks previously unreleased. Could you imagine an extra 9 new tracks from the Hotspot or Electric era??
If demos for Musik have Neil on vocals, it'd be nice to get Ich Bin Music and For Every Moment. Forget Soup and Mongrel.
Yeah me too. I always view these further listenings not from the eyes of a new/casual fan... but of me... a die hard one, and as such I have everything on his list. its the little surprises that I hope for, and there usually are. recently, finally getting "Ring Road" was nice one.

daveid

#25 Post by daveid »

jules wrote: Sun 19 Apr 2020, 4:32 pm You already want to bury an album that have just been released. Let the album breath a bit before talking about these atrocious reissues.
I don't think the poster has any plans or power to make these albums come out.

Incidentally Yes and Elysium FLs came out 8 and 5 years respectively after their original releases so if Electric and Super FLs came out this year they'd be 8 and 5 years after too, not that I'm saying it's make any sense to release them.

*Just realised your comment is over a year old and this is why I find it annoying when people resurrect ancient threads but I think my point still stands.