Hotspot - Further Listening

For general discussion of Pet Shop Boys topics.
Dog

Hotspot - Further Listening

#1 Post by Dog »

I always like to use the Annually diaries to order my own Further Listening style playlists. From studying the new edition, does anyone have any builds or tweaks to the following?

1. New boy
2. The forgotten child
3. What are we going to do about the rich?
4. Give stupidity a chance
5. On social media
6. An open mind
7. Dreamland (PSB remix)
8. Angelic thug
9. Johnny’s dark side
10. Beautiful laundrette
11. Night sings (Popa’s Theme)
12. Decide
13. No boundaries
14. At rock bottom

From the sleeve credits, we know that Stuart Price worked on At rock bottom, which isn’t evident from the diary, so I have assumed that he worked on the track to finish it within more recent months. It will be interesting to see if he had any involvement in New boy - otherwise it looks like that’s the earliest finished recording from the Hotspot era.
Woof.

TwizzleUK

Re: Hotspot - Further Listening

#2 Post by TwizzleUK »

Dog wrote: Sun 19 Apr 2020, 11:35 am I always like to use the Annually diaries to order my own Further Listening style playlists.
Interesting idea. What would the order of the Electric and Super Further Listenings be using this method?

Dog

#3 Post by Dog »

Electric is slim pickings given it was made in the shadow of Elysium:

1. Odd man out
2. No more ballads
3. Get it online
4. Entschuldigung!
5. Fluorescent (Indio mix)
6. Fluorescent (Cali mix)
7. Oppressive (the best gay possible) dance mix
8. Oppressive (the best gay possible) slow mix

Super is slightly more substantial:

1. Inner sanctum (first demo)
2. Inner sanctum (second demo)
3. One-hit wonder
4. The dead can dance
5. A cloud in a box
6. The white dress
7. Wiedersehen
8. Brick England
9. In bits
10. The Pop Kids (the full story)
11. The Pop Kids (PSB deep dub)
12. Left to my own devices (Super version)

I’ve included Brick England here but omitted the Musik tracks from my Hotspot list purely due to the joint billing PSB get with Jarre - I guess though the reality would be that it would be excluded from any Further Listening release.
Woof.

Sage

#4 Post by Sage »

For me the primary and almost sole appeal for the FL albums is the exclusive tracks.
Super FL and Hotspot FL if they ever happen better have a handful of unreleased tracks and demos.
I already listen to music on streaming services, so adding existing b-sides to a CD is practically pointless.
For example Release FL has 9 tracks previously unreleased. Could you imagine an extra 9 new tracks from the Hotspot or Electric era??
If demos for Musik have Neil on vocals, it'd be nice to get Ich Bin Music and For Every Moment. Forget Soup and Mongrel.

domino

#5 Post by domino »

Dog wrote: Sun 19 Apr 2020, 11:35 am 1. New boy
2. The forgotten child
5. On social media
6. An open mind
7. Dreamland (PSB remix)
8. Angelic thug
9. Johnny’s dark side
10. Beautiful laundrette
12. Decide
13. No boundaries
14. At rock bottom
I can't really see all Agenda tracks being remastered for the FL or, if so, I'd expect 2 FL-CDs for Hotspot. There could also be some unreleased stuff like You are the one (dance version), An open mind (extended mix), some demos or tracks we don't even know about. Hopefully, but not likely, if there are some cool mash-ups or new single versions of the Dreamworld tour, they could be on it, too.

Dog wrote: Sun 19 Apr 2020, 12:55 pm Super is slightly more substantial:

3. One-hit wonder
4. The dead can dance
5. A cloud in a box
6. The white dress
7. Wiedersehen
8. Brick England
9. In bits
There is a single mix of Happiness lying around somewhere that could also be on the Super FL.
A blues would be in B flat, pain defining wisdom,
but the soul is in the high hat, programmed in the system.

Dog

#6 Post by Dog »

Yes, I was just going on tracks that are already out there. These are playlists I have compiled for current listening.
Woof.

jules

#7 Post by jules »

You already want to bury an album that have just been released. Let the album breath a bit before talking about these atrocious reissues.

Dog

#8 Post by Dog »

jules wrote:You already want to bury an album that have just been released. Let the album breath a bit before talking about these atrocious reissues.
I assume that’s not aimed at me given the topic wasn’t intended to be about the reissues.
Woof.

Disco.

#9 Post by Disco. »

Peace guys 😊

leesmapman

#10 Post by leesmapman »

Chances are that Wedding in Berlin will end up on Super Further Listening too - they wrote it during the Super recordings.

TwizzleUK

#11 Post by TwizzleUK »

Dog wrote: Sun 19 Apr 2020, 12:55 pm Electric is slim pickings given it was made in the shadow of Elysium:

1. Odd man out
2. No more ballads
3. Get it online
4. Entschuldigung!
5. Fluorescent (Indio mix)
6. Fluorescent (Cali mix)
7. Oppressive (the best gay possible) dance mix
8. Oppressive (the best gay possible) slow mix

Super is slightly more substantial:

3. One-hit wonder
4. The dead can dance
5. A cloud in a box
6. The white dress
7. Wiedersehen
8. Brick England
9. In bits

I’ve included Brick England here but omitted the Musik tracks from my Hotspot list purely due to the joint billing PSB get with Jarre - I guess though the reality would be that it would be excluded from any Further Listening release.
Thanks for this - I've adjusted my own "further listening" playlists to correspond with this. I also have the radio edits of 'Axis', 'Vocal', 'Love Is A Bourgeois Construct' and 'Thursday' in my 'Electric' playlist (to pad it out a bit - plus they're all nice edits). Plus I added radio edits of 'Twenty Something' and 'Say It To Me' on the 'Super' one (although there's virtually no difference with 'Say It To Me' other than a slightly quieter rhythm track).

I've also included the radio edits of 'Burning The Heather' and 'Monkey Business' in my 'Hotspot "Further Listening" playlist - and will add the 'I Don't Wanna' radio edit once I have it.
Last edited by TwizzleUK on Sun 19 Apr 2020, 8:52 pm, edited 3 times in total.

TwizzleUK

#12 Post by TwizzleUK »

[Erroneous post]
Last edited by TwizzleUK on Sun 19 Apr 2020, 8:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.

TwizzleUK

#13 Post by TwizzleUK »

[Erroneous post]

canveyboy

#14 Post by canveyboy »

Dog wrote: Sun 19 Apr 2020, 11:35 am I always like to use the Annually diaries to order my own Further Listening style playlists. From studying the new edition, does anyone have any builds or tweaks to the following?

1. New boy
2. The forgotten child
5. On social media
6. An open mind
7. Dreamland (PSB remix)
8. Angelic thug
9. Johnny’s dark side
10. Beautiful laundrette
12. Decide
13. No boundaries
14. At rock bottom

From the sleeve credits, we know that Stuart Price worked on At rock bottom, which isn’t evident from the diary, so I have assumed that he worked on the track to finish it within more recent months. It will be interesting to see if he had any involvement in New boy - otherwise it looks like that’s the earliest finished recording from the Hotspot era.
I wouldn’t be interested in that. Why bother releasing ALL of BL when the whole thing has already been released as an exclusive CD with Annually? I’d feel a bit cheated tbh. I like the fact it’s quite exclusive. Same with the Agenda tracks. I like that they’re exclusive to their own release.

What I would love to see on any future FL release is more unreleased demos. We know that at least 3 ‘Musik’ tracks were recorded with Neils vocals so they would be definitely sought after and the Hotspot diary shows there are a lot more unreleased demos recorded too. But I think we’re a long way off any X2 FL releases!
Its taken me all of my life to find you

Dog

#15 Post by Dog »

canveyboy wrote:
Dog wrote: Sun 19 Apr 2020, 11:35 am I always like to use the Annually diaries to order my own Further Listening style playlists. From studying the new edition, does anyone have any builds or tweaks to the following?

1. New boy
2. The forgotten child
5. On social media
6. An open mind
7. Dreamland (PSB remix)
8. Angelic thug
9. Johnny’s dark side
10. Beautiful laundrette
12. Decide
13. No boundaries
14. At rock bottom

I wouldn’t be interested in that. Why bother releasing ALL of BL when the whole thing has already been released as an exclusive CD with Annually? I’d feel a bit cheated tbh. I like the fact it’s quite exclusive. Same with the Agenda tracks. I like that they’re exclusive to their own release.

What I would love to see on any future FL release is more unreleased demos. We know that at least 3 ‘Musik’ tracks were recorded with Neils vocals so they would be definitely sought after and the Hotspot diary shows there are a lot more unreleased demos recorded too. But I think we’re a long way off any X2 FL releases!
It’s just a playlist.
Woof.