Rate Monkey Business (edit version)

For general discussion of Pet Shop Boys topics.

Rate Monkey Business (edit version)

4%
10%
25%
24%
11%
4%
7%
11%
6%

Total votes: 84

Nickname

Re: Rate Monkey Business (edit version)

#16 Post by Nickname » Fri 03 Jan 2020, 9:12 pm

For me, it's the best PSB single in many years and I think it sounds commercial. The most common thing is that nothing happens but this sounds commercial. It's a friendly sound for all kind of people, not only PSB fans. The funky beats sound great and the final part of the song it's really exciting and works very well. I know many people can hate that part and I understand why. But for me, it's quite clever and really fun.

Gary1962

#17 Post by Gary1962 » Fri 03 Jan 2020, 9:27 pm

I thought they couldn't get any worse than "Dreamland" but they have managed it with this track, the worst PSB single ever for me (closely followed by the aforementioned "Dreamland") "Burning The Heather" on the other hand is an excellent track.
If you've done nothing wrong, you've got nothing to fear
If you've something to hide, you shouldn't even be here!

drunk14

#18 Post by drunk14 » Fri 03 Jan 2020, 10:06 pm

I believe it will be my favourite single since Love Etc when in full bloom on the album. It's almost perfect. So refreshing and blatant.

Now it's 9/10.
I've been around the world for a number of reasons. I've seen it all the change of seasons, and I, my lord, may I say nothing?

jamie1978

#19 Post by jamie1978 » Fri 03 Jan 2020, 10:17 pm

A sizeable minority (30%) giving it 4/10 or below.

For a group of rabid PSB fans, that isn't fantastic.

Previous singles have been rated considerably higher by this forum.

drunk14

#20 Post by drunk14 » Fri 03 Jan 2020, 10:26 pm

It means nothing, as usual. All in all, it only matter what you feel. I guess that 50 percent of this forum requires from them umpa-umpa songs in the vein of Integral. Everything less triumphant is considered as a minor letdown. Less obvious tracks never been highly rated - Boy Strange or The Sound of the Atom Splitting are fascinating for many people outside PSB fan community. This new single is somewhere in that category.
I've been around the world for a number of reasons. I've seen it all the change of seasons, and I, my lord, may I say nothing?

retrofuturist

#21 Post by retrofuturist » Fri 03 Jan 2020, 11:08 pm

Greetings Nickname,
nickname wrote:
Fri 03 Jan 2020, 4:57 pm
So do you think there is nothing interesting on the album version that makes it better?. For example, the album version of Thursday is not particulary interesting if you compare it with the single version. Do you think we can say the same with the album version of the song?.
A song is not necessarily better because it's longer. For example, how many people's favourite version of Being Boring is the 5 minute version, the 6 minute version or the 10 minute version? They're all good, all different, all well done, but you're not automatically going to like the longest version that has more time for more "interesting" things to happen. Extra time also gives it longer to get repetitive and plodding.

So in that spirit...

If you're going to do a 3 minute version of this song, it may as well sound like the radio edit.

If you're going to do a 4 minute version of the song, it may as well sound like the album version.

It's a good edit, unlike the hatchet job on Numb, for example. It even does some parts a little differently, especially the ending, so it's clear that a bit of thought and effort has gone into creating a perfectly good 3 minute version of the song.

Retro. :)

Bjossi

#22 Post by Bjossi » Sat 04 Jan 2020, 1:16 am

There are a lot of lazy extended mixes out there, and unfortunately I feel Being boring's is one of them. I still wish PSB did more extended mixes these days. A lot of songs would lend themselves well to extensions and additions if the artist is creative and capable, and we know PSB to be that.

Based on the radio edit I can totally imagine 5 or 6 minutes of monkey that doesn't overstay its welcome. It has layers and melodies that can be explored further, and new sections with new layers or melodies could be added without sounding tacked on if one really managed to capture the "essence" of the song.

Nickname

#23 Post by Nickname » Sat 04 Jan 2020, 10:31 am

Bjossi wrote:
Sat 04 Jan 2020, 1:16 am
There are a lot of lazy extended mixes out there, and unfortunately I feel Being boring's is one of them. I still wish PSB did more extended mixes these days. A lot of songs would lend themselves well to extensions and additions if the artist is creative and capable, and we know PSB to be that.

Based on the radio edit I can totally imagine 5 or 6 minutes of monkey that doesn't overstay its welcome. It has layers and melodies that can be explored further, and new sections with new layers or melodies could be added without sounding tacked on if one really managed to capture the "essence" of the song.
Agree with that but it looks like there is nothing new on the album versión.

Ghost within this house

#24 Post by Ghost within this house » Sat 04 Jan 2020, 10:39 am

nickname wrote:
Sat 04 Jan 2020, 10:31 am
Bjossi wrote:
Sat 04 Jan 2020, 1:16 am

Agree with that but it looks like there is nothing new on the album versión.
Apart from an entire new verse....
Firing verbal shots.......like a Tommy Gun

Future Lover

#25 Post by Future Lover » Sat 04 Jan 2020, 12:05 pm

Ah, nickname's out-of-the-ass facts...

markrobertnolan

#26 Post by markrobertnolan » Sat 04 Jan 2020, 12:35 pm

MikeyC wrote:
Fri 03 Jan 2020, 8:47 pm
wieske wrote:
Fri 03 Jan 2020, 8:43 pm
An 8 from me as well. The more I listen to the song, the more I like it and discover new sounds...
A phenomenon I think many of us are experiencing! It gets better and better! And those synth sounds are chills-inducing!! 8)
Agreed. However some people have declared their antipathy for it by comparing it in standards terms to "Numb." Nonsense. It's different. It's good. (And no I don't like Dreamland. Higher register x 2 = the pits.)

drunk14

#27 Post by drunk14 » Sat 04 Jan 2020, 1:57 pm

The rating of the single on Rate Your Music is the lowest you can thing of (2,62/5). Their worst rating ever. But other new songs were criticised as well (just 3,05 or 3,10). I think they have ultimetely lost their touch and hearts of more alternative oriented listeners.

jamie1978

#28 Post by jamie1978 » Sat 04 Jan 2020, 2:26 pm

drunk14 wrote:
Sat 04 Jan 2020, 1:57 pm
The rating of the single on Rate Your Music is the lowest you can thing of (2,62/5). Their worst rating ever. But other new songs were criticised as well (just 3,05 or 3,10). I think they have ultimetely lost their touch and hearts of more alternative oriented listeners.
This strained post-rationalisation is embarrassing to watch.

The simple explanation is usually the correct one. It isn't a very good single.

Statistically speaking, taking the same group of people and then polling their like/dislike of various songs over time, and monitoring the average score, is a pretty decent way of gauging variable sentiment.

rashomon

#29 Post by rashomon » Sat 04 Jan 2020, 2:39 pm

Gave it a lowly 4 ... on first and only listen.

I'm a fan of PSB music that covers the spectrum of their output across the last 3 decades ... from the sombre and melancholy to the euphoric dance rave stuff so have no anti-groove or anti-disco bias here.

Think this one will be really interesting to return to and possibly see if we can have a second poll in a few months from now.
you could say conventional ... and I could claim intentional

Gabby

#30 Post by Gabby » Sat 04 Jan 2020, 5:44 pm

I give it a solid 7.

As many have stated "shouty Neil" is a bit annoying but the funky tune and other vocals lift it up several notches.

Dial back the shouty vocal to a more rational tuneful delivery and add another verse and it would be a huge improvement imho.