Hotspot - Forum Reactions.

For general discussion of Pet Shop Boys topics.
Parkol

Re: Hotspot - Forum Reactions.

#46 Post by Parkol » Sat 07 Dec 2019, 9:01 pm

I still hope to see a new music video from PSB. I am sure PSB can find some good directors who don't ask so much money.

vincenzosz

#47 Post by vincenzosz » Sat 07 Dec 2019, 9:27 pm

Effen Vida wrote:
Sat 07 Dec 2019, 7:33 pm
The review is back up.

I hope it doesn't overhype you. There's a certain thrill in hearing an album early, like going to a movie premiere, where it's easy for that excitement to translate as EVERYTHING IS BRILLIANT.

I don't think that's the case here at all, but please bear that in mind as you read my thoughts.

Ta.

Thanks Effen!
I appreciate you taking the time to write and share your impressions of the album. Exciting stuff! I can’t wait to hear it.

In regards to the rest of the nonsense in this and the new album thread...it’s common on here and it’s really annoying. But people continue to engage on this thread with others in a way that unsurprisingly creates more arguments and “drama”. If people are acting rude, ignorant, etc just ignore them. Why would you try to argue with someone like that? It’s futile. We don’t need to like each other, were just here over common interest. That is all. So chiiiiiiill. B)

Anyways, thanks again Effen. :D

P.S. if this post in some way offends anyone and they plan to write a rebuttal save your “breath”. I only wrote this to acknowledge the generosity of Effen, and to foster some comradely. I won’t engage with any pointless negative back and forth. I will talk Pet shop boys however. :) Happy Hospot era!

daveid

#48 Post by daveid » Sat 07 Dec 2019, 9:59 pm

It's been great hearing EV's review, apart from the final track.

As to bickering, we all like a good old handbag fight, but Skyhigh has forgotten the first rule of humour which is knowing when to put a sock in it. It was fun while it lasted but it's getting trollish now.

spacewalker

#49 Post by spacewalker » Sat 07 Dec 2019, 10:15 pm

Well, I get excited. Thank you, Effen.

nickname

#50 Post by nickname » Sun 08 Dec 2019, 2:14 am

It's a pity PSB didn't want to write a song like Go West, Shameles, All Over The World style. I love the anthemic sound of them.

glennjridge

#51 Post by glennjridge » Sun 08 Dec 2019, 2:49 am

Because you know how us fans are, they would do it and we would just shit all over it and complain they were trying to write another anthem
:D

jasonjohn

#52 Post by jasonjohn » Sun 08 Dec 2019, 3:19 am

Thanks Effen!

This is an awesome way to anticipate a new album.

Back in the 80s 90s, we'd pour over written reviews and commentary like this until we could get or hands on a slowly distributed physical copy. So it's lovely to have our appetites grown!

Harder to do that these days with digital piracy. You've done a fab thing!

retrofuturist

#53 Post by retrofuturist » Sun 08 Dec 2019, 3:29 am

Well said jasonjohn. Great perspective.

kingdom

#54 Post by kingdom » Sun 08 Dec 2019, 3:50 pm

Can't stop reading this review!! Very exciting. Thank you Effen. :clap:

Danimal

#55 Post by Danimal » Sun 08 Dec 2019, 4:25 pm

Thanks for the review. I wasn't that excited about this album as it took them so long to put together compared to the last few, I was beginning to think they didn't know what it should be. The fact that they announced a greatest hits tour also telegraphed a lack of confidence in the material. Your review has completely changed my mind about it.

Effen Vida

#56 Post by Effen Vida » Sun 08 Dec 2019, 10:51 pm

I just hope I haven't overly hyped Hotspot. Maybe I've should have just said it was 'pretty good, I suppose'.
Bear in mind, I think This used to be the future is one of the greatest things they've ever done. What does that tell you? Nothing, but I feel better for saying it. I guess, we all like, expect and hope for different things from N&C.

I don't know where I'm going with this.

Before listening for the first time my expectations weren't low, but they certainly weren't high.
I didn't like Dreamland (I do now) and I loved Burning the heather...

Oh christ. What have I done?

Hotspot's brilliance has caught me totally off-guard, I hope you have a similar experience.

I'd put it at least on par with Electric and prefer it to Super, and sounds like neither.

For further context, my favourite albums are, shock horror, Behaviour and Very - and their top-two placement switched depending on my mood.

Bye and that!
Last edited by Effen Vida on Sun 08 Dec 2019, 11:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.

leesmapman

#57 Post by leesmapman » Sun 08 Dec 2019, 10:57 pm

Too late, I'm hyped as ****.

Effen Vida

#58 Post by Effen Vida » Sun 08 Dec 2019, 11:02 pm

leesmapman wrote:
Sun 08 Dec 2019, 10:57 pm
Too late, I'm hyped as ****.
Bugger.

*hides for six weeks*

leesmapman

#59 Post by leesmapman » Sun 08 Dec 2019, 11:31 pm

Nah, I'd probably got hyped by the first Popjustice publication on the album anyway XD

psbfannyc

#60 Post by psbfannyc » Sun 08 Dec 2019, 11:49 pm

Effen Vida wrote:
Sun 08 Dec 2019, 10:51 pm
I just hope I haven't overly hyped Hotspot. Maybe I've should have just said it was 'pretty good, I suppose'.
Bear in mind, I think This used to be the future is one of the greatest things they've ever done. What does that tell you? Nothing, but I feel better for saying it. I guess, we all like, expect and hope for different things from N&C.

I don't know where I'm going with this.

Before listening for the first time my expectations weren't low, but they certainly weren't high.
I didn't like Dreamland (I do now) and I loved Burning the heather...

Oh christ. What have I done?

Hotspot's brilliance has caught me totally off-guard, I hope you have a similar experience.

I'd put it at least on par with Electric and prefer it to Super, and sounds like neither.

For further context, my favourite albums are, shock horror, Behaviour and Very - and their top-two placement switched depending on my mood.

Bye and that!
Do not question your motives or your feelings...you are a sweetheart Effen Vida. Keep going no matter what.