3rd single "Monkey Business" (Jan 2020)

For general discussion of Pet Shop Boys topics.
leesmapman

Re: 3rd single "Monkey Business" (Jan 2020)

#481 Post by leesmapman »

At rock bottom and singing "it's all about drugs", this song is not going to be a lot of fun, is it?

Sage

#482 Post by Sage »

ZiggyPSB wrote: Tue 04 Feb 2020, 3:04 pm
Sage wrote: Tue 04 Feb 2020, 10:11 am No one's discussing the new b-side?
The EP isn’t out till Friday.
Like I said, if you can read properly, the song has leaked.

TeCHno PoP

#483 Post by TeCHno PoP »

Just got the CD from my local shop. :) I love the package. b-side is top song, and Friend Within remix is very good too, but Prins mix is very unimaginative.

leesmapman

#484 Post by leesmapman »

IMHO, The Prins mix is fantastic. It made me love the song

TallThinMan

#485 Post by TallThinMan »

I really don’t understand the timing of releasing the Monkey Business single now. We’ve had all the promotion for the album, it’s dropping down the charts, the Monkey Business video has dropped down the iTunes video chart like a stone, radio has stopped playing the song. It just feels too late.

I guess it doesn’t matter really because only us die-hard fans will be buying the physical release.
TIERGARTEN's debut album BREAKING POINT is out now: https://linktr.ee/tiergartenmusic

Patrick Bateman

#486 Post by Patrick Bateman »

TallThinMan wrote: Wed 05 Feb 2020, 9:24 pm I really don’t understand the timing of releasing the Monkey Business single now. We’ve had all the promotion for the album, it’s dropping down the charts, the Monkey Business video has dropped down the iTunes video chart like a stone, radio has stopped playing the song. It just feels too late.

I guess it doesn’t matter really because only us die-hard fans will be buying the physical release.
The main purpose of the single was to promote Hotspot, and to a lesser extent, the tour. I’m sure they know it was never going to be a smash hit. The good thing about doing a video is that it can continue to promote them in the longer term.

The physical release on Friday is definitely only that, one for the hardcore fanbase.

moxlox

#487 Post by moxlox »

My 12” vinyl Monkey Business arrived. Sound quality is absolutely superb, vinyl better than the CD on my system, and better than album version vinyl. Like really really good.

Both remixes are top drawer. Absolutely on it. All versions just make me wanna dance. 🤗 lots of absolutely great house piano going on on both remixes.
Circuses and Bread

TallThinMan

#488 Post by TallThinMan »

moxlox wrote: Fri 07 Feb 2020, 6:33 pm My 12” vinyl Monkey Business arrived. Sound quality is absolutely superb, vinyl better than the CD on my system, and better than album version vinyl. Like really really good.

Both remixes are top drawer. Absolutely on it. All versions just make me wanna dance. 🤗 lots of absolutely great house piano going on on both remixes.
I absolutely adore “Monkey Business”, can’t stop playing it!
TIERGARTEN's debut album BREAKING POINT is out now: https://linktr.ee/tiergartenmusic

Boring90

#489 Post by Boring90 »

Wish wrote: Sat 01 Feb 2020, 2:48 pm Interesting, forthcoming CD/12inch have "made in UK" statement on it?
Made in the EU (Germany).
Las Vegas 1999

Boring90

#490 Post by Boring90 »

'At Rock Bottom' fits quite well with it's A Side. 'Monkey Business' is the party and 'At Rock Bottom' is the morning after.
Las Vegas 1999

MrTennant

#491 Post by MrTennant »

Patrick Bateman wrote: Thu 06 Feb 2020, 12:45 pm
TallThinMan wrote: Wed 05 Feb 2020, 9:24 pm I really don’t understand the timing of releasing the Monkey Business single now. We’ve had all the promotion for the album, it’s dropping down the charts, the Monkey Business video has dropped down the iTunes video chart like a stone, radio has stopped playing the song. It just feels too late.

The main purpose of the single was to promote Hotspot, and to a lesser extent, the tour. I’m sure they know it was never going to be a smash hit. The good thing about doing a video is that it can continue to promote them in the longer term.

The physical release on Friday is definitely only that, one for the hardcore fanbase.
It's a way to extend the presence of Monkey Busines one more week with a little buzz from hardcore fans buying the album. Nothing else really.

regularjoe

#492 Post by regularjoe »

With the stems for a certain Peter Garbiel song out there I am surprised no one has made a "Shock the Monkey Business" mashup.

negative_0ne

#493 Post by negative_0ne »

regularjoe wrote: Fri 07 Feb 2020, 10:11 pm With the stems for a certain Peter Garbiel song out there I am surprised no one has made a "Shock the Monkey Business" mashup.
that sounds like it would be fun.
was thinking the same thing.

later

Old Soak

#494 Post by Old Soak »

At last, remixes that add something to the song after years of DJ Ego Trips. The Prins Thomas mix is fabulous in particular, and that House piano really adds a lot. Do I detect a sample from the unreleased 'Big Piano'?

The b-side is definitely a b-side, bur very well done, and as the best Tennant you can read the lyrics at both a superficial and deeper level.

Friend Within mix again adds fabulous House piano. Not as good as Prins Thomas IMO but this would definitely get a floor filled.
And at the end/ Your funny Uncle staring / At all your friends / With military bearing

Marie loves PSB

#495 Post by Marie loves PSB »

Lol... I am so glad that I went out yesterday and missed looking at my e-mails. - This is priceless! :down: I found out a minute ago that I have received a few e-mails to say that my Cd is on its way for yesterday morning (Friday). DPD gave me a time etc.. For them to e-mail me a bit later to say that the driver is going to miss me now as he is busy! lol... That's a good un'! I am supposed to be receiving it on Monday - just hope he isn't busy. :shhh: ** I cannot actually believe they have said that**.