DREAMWORLD TOUR

For general discussion of Pet Shop Boys topics.
Eleven

Re: DREAMWORLD TOUR

#241 Post by Eleven »

It seems like a farewell title, it would be great if they could add every single mixed, every chorus at least one after another with up and downs with some verse without rythm and then bang again to include all their best, Im tired of the go west, West End girls,Always on my mind songs, and even 30 seconds of any other non so great single would be welcome

I completely agree with the Minimal comment. Art covers, production and remixes are the worst of their career since 2010, so amateurish doesnt feel like them, videos are something of the past, the Twenty Something vid is a pain to see the only good thing is Leaving.
Being a fan since Actually gives you perspective, Ive attended Performance 91 and the game is totally different now.

srpsb

#242 Post by srpsb »

I’m hoping for:

Hallo spaceboy
She’s Madonna
Disappointed
In private
Losing my mind

jules

#243 Post by jules »

srpsb wrote: Tue 12 Nov 2019, 11:05 am I’m hoping for:

Hallo spaceboy
She’s Madonna
Disappointed
In private
Losing my mind
They hardly play their non hit album songs, they won't play these songs in front of non pethead crowds.

Patrick Bateman

#244 Post by Patrick Bateman »

Dog wrote: Tue 12 Nov 2019, 8:05 am I’m sure the setlist will be awesome. So many of their UK top 20 hits are underperformed. Imagine even a handful of the following:

It’s alright
So hard
How can you expect to be taken seriously?
DJ culture
Can you forgive her?
Liberation
Yesterday, when I was mad
Paninaro
Before
Single-bilingual
A red letter day
I don’t know what you want but I can’t give it any more
You only tell me you love me when you’re drunk
I get along
Flamboyant
I’m with Stupid
Minimal
That’s what is so amusing about lots of these comments. Yes, they have played their biggest hits live consistently over the last couple of decades but this will be wall-to-wall hits. If you can’t look forward to a 90-minute extravaganza celebrating their pop career, then you really should find a different band to follow. I’m certainly cynical about a lot of the things they’ve done to endure as a commercial entity for so long, but come on.....

zukunft

#245 Post by zukunft »

Did anyone outside the UK receive their tickets for one of the Dreamland shows? The London show at The O2 just has a digital ticket, but I'm waiting for my Manchester ticket.

Dog

DREAMWORLD TOUR

#246 Post by Dog »

minimal wrote:I've had enough of It's a sin, Go West, West End girls etc. being played live...

I miss the days where I felt there's some intimacy shared between them and me - a moment where I felt understood...

It's basically the same with the music: It sounds more genetic today...

It's the same with the music videos...

It's the same with the artwork... It's ugly and looks amateurish.

It's the same with the photographs: There aren't any great photographs of them.

And it's the same with the remixes: All we get is the basic stuff...

For me, basically, the 'magic' is gone...

I'm not complaining...

Now I feel ... not much, really...

m+
This is either a particularly depressing rework of the Paninaro lyric or someone expecting a pop group to recapture their youth for them. You’ve changed; we’ve all changed.

I disagree that their output isn’t as creative or ambitious, or that they no longer embody pop values. Their output from any given album campaign stacks up against each of those measures.
Woof.

rashomon

#247 Post by rashomon »

I'll be attending - it's easy enough for me living in London so not really any hardships getting there.

I can understand why some here would not be keen on the GH tour but I'm sure the boys will go all out like they usually do and we'll get some great set design, visuals and some re-working of a track or two. I'm looking forward to it!

Shame that Being Boring is unlikely to get an airing in the tour .... but I live in hope :pray:

Oh and talking of which, Being Boring is 29 years old today (at least in terms of UK release date) ... just finished playing the extended mix and it remains utterly timeless.
you could say conventional ... and I could claim intentional

canveyboy

#248 Post by canveyboy »

rashomon wrote: Tue 12 Nov 2019, 7:12 pm I'll be attending - it's easy enough for me living in London so not really any hardships getting there.

I can understand why some here would not be keen on the GH tour but I'm sure the boys will go all out like they usually do and we'll get some great set design, visuals and some re-working of a track or two. I'm looking forward to it!

Shame that Being Boring is unlikely to get an airing in the tour .... but I live in hope :pray:

Oh and talking of which, Being Boring is 29 years old today (at least in terms of UK release date) ... just finished playing the extended mix and it remains utterly timeless.
Oh, the extended mix of BB is beautiful. Absolutely love it. And also the 12” BeingRemixed is also magnificent. The good old days when you got a proper extended mix and a just as great extended remix!

I wonder if they’ll do Paninaro? Would Chris be willing? It would be an undoubtedly big highlight, but I just can’t see him agreeing to it!
Last edited by canveyboy on Tue 12 Nov 2019, 8:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Its taken me all of my life to find you

Patrick Bateman

#249 Post by Patrick Bateman »

I’d be very surprised if they didn’t play Being Boring. Notwithstanding the fact that it was a top twenty smash, it seems to have a wider resonance as their most sophisticated single. The kind of track that proves they’re serious artists and all that gubbins. Still, they might drop it for Absolutely Fabulous.....

Nickname

#250 Post by Nickname »

They have 20 Top 10 songs and Dreamland. Maybe, these ones are the ones for the concert. It could be the easiest option (I'm going to put in a order, I would like to choose, divided in 4 parts and encore like the Pandemonium Bour):

Suburbia
Dreamland
Can you forgive her?
AB
I'm with stupid

Where/How?
So Hard
West End Girls
Heart
What have I done to deserve this?

Se a vida e
Domino Dancing
Before
Rent
Drunk

Somewhere
A red letter day
It's alright
Left to my own devices

It's a Sin
Always on my mind
Go West
Last edited by Nickname on Tue 12 Nov 2019, 8:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.

minimal

#251 Post by minimal »

Dog wrote: Tue 12 Nov 2019, 5:58 pm

This is either a particularly depressing rework of the Paninaro lyric or someone expecting a pop group to recapture their youth for them. You’ve changed; we’ve all changed.

I disagree that their output isn’t as creative or ambitious, or that they no longer embody pop values. Their output from any given album campaign stacks up against each of those measures.
I've particularly made clear my point that I'm not moaning but describing the status quo in the context of a 30+ years career. Some of the aspects I criticise work well for them and therefore I understand why they're doing so (e.g. presenting a show like Inner Sanctum insteas of Performance pt. 2) but why not discuss them?

Where you only make a general statement that you don't share my view (fair enough!) and that their current output tells a different story (it clearly does not!) I present examples. I'm sorry but to only come up with one example the artistic value of the poster design for the upcoming tour as well as the cover artwork for dreamwork are, well, shite - from a design point of view. It lacks graphic design basics, it lacks creativity, it all looks cheap. Indeed, as someone has already said, it looks like something tacky Earure would normally do. Even the little piece of video clip they released in order to sell tickets for the tour is crap. The songs are roughly cut together instead of creating transitions that allow for a smooth viewing and listening experience. You just didn't have all of these faults up to 2009.

If I expect anything at all I expect them to be creative because they've been for more than 20 years. They clearly don't appear to be as creative, ambitious or artistiv anymore. They could easily do whatever they want. People are attending the gigs, the press loves the. Why not risk something? Instead, they're only playig safe. It#s a bit boring to watch the game, really. To be fair, it's totally clear that you can't invent corner stones every 3-4 years but then again there are sources for inspiration you could easily gain access to, e.g. working with different people. In the case of PSB, IMHO this is stongly needed.

Pop is exciting. It's new. It's vivid. PSB are PSB by numbers these days. It's time to actually risk something instead of exploring the next geometric figure that we'll find onstage and in front of a white background. Just saying.

m+

m+

Patrick Bateman

#252 Post by Patrick Bateman »

minimal wrote: Tue 12 Nov 2019, 8:17 pmIf I expect anything at all I expect them to be creative because they've been for more than 20 years. They clearly don't appear to be as creative, ambitious or artistiv anymore. They could easily do whatever they want. People are attending the gigs, the press loves the. Why not risk something? Instead, they're only playig safe. It#s a bit boring to watch the game, really. To be fair, it's totally clear that you can't invent corner stones every 3-4 years but then again there are sources for inspiration you could easily gain access to, e.g. working with different people. In the case of PSB, IMHO this is stongly needed.

Pop is exciting. It's new. It's vivid. PSB are PSB by numbers these days. It's time to actually risk something instead of exploring the next geometric figure that we'll find onstage and in front of a white background. Just saying.
Were PSB ever really that experimental or outre though? They've always pursued commercial success, and while they have certainly leveraged less popular artists in their own work, was It's a Sin really any more than four-on-the-floor Eurodisco with an arty video and moody sleeve? They were never Sparks.

I mainly miss their otherness which has dissipated over the years - partly perhaps because of the increasing mainstream acceptance of homosexuality; partly no doubt their longevity and lack of scandal enshrining them as 'national treasures'.

Tom Angel

#253 Post by Tom Angel »

The dreamworld tour I completely understand, but it's not really for us diehards. I certainly won't be going. It's for fair-weather fans who only know the hits. They are capitalising on being national treasures and in the limelight again via Brits, NME, Glastonbury, Hyde Park, etc, etc.

I'm hoping that in reply to Dreamworld they will do a small b-sides, lesser played tour, with stuff like I get excited, played instead of go west, etc, for the fans.
in suits or sequins/or twin sets and pearls

domino

#254 Post by domino »

They always played at least one b-side on tour. :)

But I'd like to see something they didn't performed yet. Not Excited, Do I Have To?, Sexy Northerner or Shameless.
Maybe Paninaro, but I don't know if Chris will do it.
A blues would be in B flat, pain defining wisdom,
but the soul is in the high hat, programmed in the system.

Nickname

#255 Post by Nickname »

Have you thought they could need the money for future projects?. I mean, if you don't want them to play hits, don't put the blame on them because of the lack of creativity on album, posters or videos designs.