September single...???

For general discussion of Pet Shop Boys topics.
BlackPanther

Re: September single...???

#241 Post by BlackPanther » Fri 13 Sep 2019, 1:59 pm

Spittingcat wrote:
Fri 13 Sep 2019, 1:46 pm
Bitch, bitch, bitch… it’s a good sleeve, and the matching video is great.
It's not up to the standards one might expect from an agency like Farrow. We used to have sleeves where you would think: "wow, I wish I had thought of that". And the level we're getting now is more like "erm, I could have thought of that. and I would have done it better".

jamie1978

#242 Post by jamie1978 » Fri 13 Sep 2019, 2:06 pm

it's just the artwork for a non-physical single, it's perfectly adequate and looks rather nice

there are things that artists should invest lots of time and money in - non-physical single release artwork is not one of them

britboy

#243 Post by britboy » Fri 13 Sep 2019, 2:11 pm

The amount of scrutiny on here to all aspects of the guys work is quite remarkable, it seems to be that people feel free to almost check behind their ears and see if their nails are clipped in a manner of speaking as if they're public property (maybe a nice song title?)…

Nicholas

#244 Post by Nicholas » Fri 13 Sep 2019, 2:12 pm

Presumably there’s far less money to lavish on the artwork these days anyway (no record company money behind them and far less emphasis on elaborate physical formats) but I think they’ve done a good job of keeping it all simple and vibrant in recent years in spite of this. Except the Elysium sleeve which was both shite and sloppily produced. :up: :up:

BlackPanther

#245 Post by BlackPanther » Fri 13 Sep 2019, 2:20 pm

Nicholas wrote:
Fri 13 Sep 2019, 2:12 pm
Except the Elysium sleeve which was both shite and sloppily produced.
The Elysium campaign was actually the last one with original ideas of Farrow quality. The Memory of the future sleeves were brilliant.

If it takes you two google queries to come up with a page that's actually full of images that form the basic idea of your design, it's not a good design. Hundreds of people have taken that picture.

https://www.google.com/search?q=berlin+ ... =937&dpr=1

BlackPanther

#246 Post by BlackPanther » Fri 13 Sep 2019, 2:28 pm

britboy wrote:
Fri 13 Sep 2019, 2:11 pm
The amount of scrutiny on here to all aspects of the guys work is quite remarkable.
You think so? I don't think so.

Pet Shop Boys were about brilliant music, brilliant videoclips, brilliant photographs, brilliant artwork. For me becoming interested in them was about the whole package. What's left of all of that is music. I like Dreamland. But I'm being put off by the lack of everything else that was part of the package.

And that's subjective, my opinion. You may not like it, so be it. That won't change how I feel about it.

Nicholas

#247 Post by Nicholas » Fri 13 Sep 2019, 2:28 pm

BlackPanther wrote:
Fri 13 Sep 2019, 2:20 pm
Nicholas wrote:
Fri 13 Sep 2019, 2:12 pm
Except the Elysium sleeve which was both shite and sloppily produced.
If it takes you two google queries to come up with a page that's actually full of images that form the basic idea of your design, it's not a good design.
It doesn’t mean it’s not a good design. It maybe means it’s not a creative design. It’s still striking.

Marie loves PSB

#248 Post by Marie loves PSB » Fri 13 Sep 2019, 2:31 pm

Future Lover wrote:
Fri 13 Sep 2019, 12:53 pm
Has anyone actually pre-ordered the album from the website? The thing is, not being an exclusive there, I'm waiting for an Amazon link, or news of any exclusive/Japanese editions etc. Gotta be frugal with these things. If it were the CD single, or Annually, I would jump on it right away.
I have ordered the pre-ordered Cd version of the album. Yes - no exclusive things there. :down: I don't belong to Amazon so, it maybe the only place I can get it.

Also, like Future Lover mentions that I would also jump on it right away if it was the CD single!

Thank you for letting me know on here that they are not doing a CD single. :) I would be still looking for it otherwise. It is a shame as I don't do downloads. :down:

romy

#249 Post by romy » Fri 13 Sep 2019, 2:45 pm

So or so,Dreamland is the first single,since long,which climbs on Itunes again,after it falls.

Nicholas

#250 Post by Nicholas » Fri 13 Sep 2019, 2:53 pm

BlackPanther wrote:
Fri 13 Sep 2019, 2:28 pm
britboy wrote:
Fri 13 Sep 2019, 2:11 pm
The amount of scrutiny on here to all aspects of the guys work is quite remarkable.
You think so? I don't think so.

Pet Shop Boys were about brilliant music, brilliant videoclips, brilliant photographs, brilliant artwork. For me becoming interested in them was about the whole package. What's left of all of that is music. I like Dreamland. But I'm being put off by the lack of everything else that was part of the package.

And that's subjective, my opinion. You may not like it, so be it. That won't change how I feel about it.
Agree with everything you say about the whole package. I think it’s apparent that the resources these days are less than they were (and the constant expensive tours are how they’re paying for it) but I think with the artwork it’s had to become more about grabbing the eye rather than being lavish and painstakingly processed.

The last two albums were designed as logos to stand out on a digital platform and I assume this one will be some variation on that too. I can completely understand why this is disappointing after decades of gloss finishes and fat booklets and lenticular covers and tactile boxes but design in general is a flatter, simpler medium now and I think they’re responding well to those limitations. I do miss the 90s though. :)

Future Lover

#251 Post by Future Lover » Fri 13 Sep 2019, 2:54 pm

Oh, there might be a CD single on the website, I didn't say it won't! We just have to wait a bit.

moxlox

#252 Post by moxlox » Fri 13 Sep 2019, 5:14 pm

I really like the artwork. I am always photographing brick walls!!

I liked the Agenda sleeve a lot too. Was surprised to discover that was a stock photo and now so is this. I ask myself, if they are both visually arresting, which personally I think they are, then is it an issue? Good artwork in my book.

I suppose they could have come and got a brick wall photo off of me for originality. Interestingly I don't think they credit the photo on the Agenda EP.
Circuses and Bread

Drem

#253 Post by Drem » Sat 14 Sep 2019, 10:23 am

6/10

It reminds me of "Yes" songs, "More than a dream" and "The way it used to be" in particular, as if this album was produced by Price and squeezed to the lenght of a radio single.

Not my cup of tea, but it sounds quite contemporary thanks to Years & Years, I guess. Olly's voice sounds very femine, for a moment I thought there is female back-vocalist on the track.

Would prefer it as final track on the album, though...
"I think it’s an amazingly good album, I’ve got to be honest with you. It’s one of the albums I feel most proud of. But for people who don’t really know us, and have a sort of an idea about us, ‘Electric’ is more what the Pet Shop Boys are meant to be."
(Neil Tennant, speaking about "Elysium" on the eve of "Electric" release.)