Of course it might just be me........

For general discussion of Pet Shop Boys topics.
Bulldog

Re: Of course it might just be me........

#16 Post by Bulldog »

Maybe they should go for a full-on deep house album, as it seems they want to slow it down a little, while keeping a connection with the tropical elements of Super. But I'm not sure Price as a producer is subtle enough for something like that - most of the time I find his approach very heavy-handed. That lack of finesse was what they need for a stomping career reboot like Electric, but maybe after the trilogy they should work with someone more apt to balance colour and atmosphere, like Kornel Kovacs for instance.

Disco.

#17 Post by Disco. »

Well, his remix of Twenty Something was abysmal.

Bulldog

#18 Post by Bulldog »

Disco. wrote: Fri 19 Apr 2019, 2:21 pm Well, his remix of Twenty Something was abysmal.
"The bells" is a stunning album. Bonkers house and somber stuff perfectly balanced.

Bulldog

#19 Post by Bulldog »

So are we expecting news this month?

Ghost within this house

#20 Post by Ghost within this house »

It's got to be pretty soon, hasn't it?
Firing verbal shots.......like a Tommy Gun

ZiggyPSB

#21 Post by ZiggyPSB »

If we go by last year, Super was announced in January and was released 3 months later, we could expect an announcement this month for a September release.

I would like to put bets on Geowayne stumbling across something again that turns out to be a new PSB album teaser.
I'm a proud sycophant because I like Wedding in Berlin
http://www.last.fm/user/FFancy24
Dublin 19/06/2011, Manchester 20/06/2013, Edinburgh 31/12/2013, London 23/07/2014, London 23/07/2016, London 02/04/2017

Bulldog

#22 Post by Bulldog »

Sigh. I miss the days when the first single was a proper teaser, released well before the album. It just helped with the wait. What's the point in releasing it, like, one week before the album, from a fan point of view?

Gabby

#23 Post by Gabby »

Bulldog wrote: Tue 04 Jun 2019, 2:01 am Sigh. I miss the days when the first single was a proper teaser, released well before the album. It just helped with the wait. What's the point in releasing it, like, one week before the album, from a fan point of view?
Me too. I figured also that if a September release was the idea, we'd hear something soon. When Actually was released I remember It's a Sin came out just before the school summer holidays, then What have I done to deserve this?? followed and the album shortly thereafter.

It was nice to get singles in that way, to tease the album. Not that I mind the drop we had of Agenda either, but, having a couple of singles to build to an album release was tantalizing and exciting.

Fingers crossed for some album release info in the next month or so....

telys

#24 Post by telys »

I'm happy the have moved on. Electric was a really good bunch of songs although as an album it had its flaws (Bolshy and Last to die don't belong on the album and the last minutes of Vocal lacked the majesty of its beginning). Super was completely wrong-produced. It should've been filled with longer songs, just like New Order did with Music Complete. Super could've been a double-album, wonder why PSB never dared to issue a double album. If PSB want to do 3 minute pop they should give their songs to biy/girl bands to perform. Time to go beyond...
----
You've got me all wrong

glennjridge

#25 Post by glennjridge »

I'd like another fundamental. an album that walks the line between epic sounding upbeat tunes and ballads.
but I would also hope for a surprise release soon.

leesmapman

#26 Post by leesmapman »

telys wrote: Tue 04 Jun 2019, 6:45 pm Electric was a really good bunch of songs although as an album it had its flaws (Bolshy and Last to die don't belong on the album [...]).
You're summing up two of the best tracks from the album, imho :lol:

Bulldog

#27 Post by Bulldog »

Bolshy perfectly suits the Electric concept. The last to die on the other hand is a little too Killers and lite rock when compared to the rest of the album.

York Minster

#28 Post by York Minster »

I agree Bolshy is right at home on Electric, and also one of my favorites. I like Last To Die, but yes it is a bit Killers/lite rock as has been noted in terms of the overall album aesthetic. However, it doesn't hurt to have one track like that to add some dimension. By the time you hit track 6, you're ready for something a tad crunchier.
And tryin' to figure out what happened to 'Germaine Propaine'
"He couldn't have fell off that hard" Ain't no way
"What happened to the way you was rappin' when you was scandalous
That Canibus turned into a television evangelist"
Plus he raps with his regular voice [BOOSH! BOOSH!]
[BOOSH! BOOSH!] (What was that?) Pet Shop Boys

Dog

#29 Post by Dog »

I always thought they should have included a longer 12” version of The Last To Die on the album... it’s far more conventionally structured than anything else on there.
Woof.

retrofuturist

#30 Post by retrofuturist »

Greetings,
markrobertnolan wrote: Wed 17 Apr 2019, 1:16 pm Am I really the only person disappointed they have said in Annually that they've moved on from the sounds of Electric and Super - as I think they have been jaw dropping reinvention work from Electric onwards. Real top notch stuff (until Agenda). I hope they don't pandy too much to the Nannas. There are too many Pet Shop Nannas
Electric was great. Super was insipid, so I'm glad they've changed tack. Despite both being very "electronic", one was experimental and intricate, in the nature of Introspective, whereas the other yielded only traces of greatness, and was well below par.

I also hope Agenda helped them jettison the misguided elitist garbage out of their system.

Nature abhors a vacuum... so what will arise now? Pass the popcorn.

Retro. :)
"Politics are too emotional now. Contemporary culture generally is too emotional, really... I'd rather people looked to the truth." (Neil Tennant)