The New Album Info Thread

For general discussion of Pet Shop Boys topics.
jasonjohn

Re: The New Album Info Thread

#346 Post by jasonjohn »

I like the title and album art!

The great majority of the album is unknown to us so people judging so hard already is ridiculous

Heathers is getting overwhelmingly positive and welcome comments on YouTube .... which just reminds me this forum is not in anyway a reflection of the PSB general audience

An Open Mind is nice but as someone said it’s more An emulation if a Coldplay cheap grab at a beach anthem. When they do emulations it usually ends up a b-side? Eg: the ghost of myself

Excited for the new album!

I will say though.... track titles are very unusual for PSB!

Nickname

#347 Post by Nickname »

y3potential wrote:
Thu 21 Nov 2019, 8:38 pm
nickname wrote:
Thu 21 Nov 2019, 8:21 pm
y3potential wrote:
Thu 21 Nov 2019, 2:33 pm

Yet again you state your thoughts and opinions as fact. The truth is you simply don't know this. None of us do. Where have you heard or read that "there is a new album on the way very soon, after this one" - you can't, can you..? We'd all love another album or EP soon after Hotspot but until there is an OFFICIAL ANNOUNCEMENT stating as such, please refrain from making wild assumptions that just invite ridicule and do you no favours whatsoever.
I'm sure about it.

Well, following that logic, I'm going to win the national lottery jackpot on Saturday............ 'I'm sure about it..!' :wall: :wall: :wall:
It is just not the same. There is a new album on the way after this one. We won't have to wait 3 years for a new album.

Danimal

#348 Post by Danimal »

I'm starting to wonder if this, unconsciously more than anything, is going to be their Bowie influenced album? Being in Berlin and recording at Hansa may have had that effect on them. What we've heard so far sort of suggests that. The abstract cover; the cheesy pop of "Dreamworld" ala "Let's Dance"; the reflective jangle of"Burning the heather" ala "...hours". So far, the only Hansa produced track we've heard is "An open mind" which is Neil reflecting on his glam rock era youth. A b-side cover of "Sound + Vision" would be interesting.

y3potential

#349 Post by y3potential »

nickname wrote:
Fri 22 Nov 2019, 12:30 pm
y3potential wrote:
Thu 21 Nov 2019, 8:38 pm
nickname wrote:
Thu 21 Nov 2019, 8:21 pm

I'm sure about it.

Well, following that logic, I'm going to win the national lottery jackpot on Saturday............ 'I'm sure about it..!' :wall: :wall: :wall:
It is just not the same. There is a new album on the way after this one. We won't have to wait 3 years for a new album.

Like others here have done with you, I too give up. I've tried.
There is beauty in ugliness and ugliness in beauty.

jules

#350 Post by jules »

Danimal wrote:
Fri 22 Nov 2019, 12:48 pm
I'm starting to wonder if this, unconsciously more than anything, is going to be their Bowie influenced album? Being in Berlin and recording at Hansa may have had that effect on them. What we've heard so far sort of suggests that. The abstract cover; the cheesy pop of "Dreamworld" ala "Let's Dance"; the reflective jangle of"Burning the heather" ala "...hours". So far, the only Hansa produced track we've heard is "An open mind" which is Neil reflecting on his glam rock era youth. A b-side cover of "Sound + Vision" would be interesting.
Burning the heather - Ashes to ashes.

Spittingcat

#351 Post by Spittingcat »

I’m calling the Japanese bonus tracks… An open mind & Decide.

kvo4ever

#352 Post by kvo4ever »

I’m playing Dreamland plus 2 other PSB tracks as a triple play today on my radio show. 10am-1pm PhaseRadio.co.uk

The beauty of being a PSB fan who has a radio show with freedom to choose my own playlist

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mark R.Y.

#353 Post by Mark R.Y. »

Just curious: Should this thread's title be changed to "Hotspot," or will that have its own thread once the album is released?

retrofuturist

#354 Post by retrofuturist »

Greetings,

(Apologies if this is old news... I don't have time to check just now)

---------------
2019 – xxxxxx
On November 14, “Burning the heather”, a new song from the forthcoming Pet Shop Boys album, is released. It features Bernard Butler on guitar. “In County Durham, where I used to live,” says Neil, “they burn the heather on the moors once a year to stimulate growth. That’s where the whole idea of the song came from. It’s a very Northern song. It’s about a stranger coming into a village somewhere. He’s quite full of himself, and he’s evidently quite a troubled person - he’s searching for something - and he ends up saying: if you’ve got a room, I’ll stay. It’s about loneliness, really, I think.” Neil had sent the lyric to Chris who set it to music. “A very unusual melody for us,” says Neil. “The chorus melody, it’s not like one of our tunes, really. It’s sort of folky. It’s what we used to call at Smash Hits ‘a scarf-waver’.”

2019 – xxxxxx
On January xx, “Monkey business”, the third new song from the forthcoming Pet Shop Boys album, is released. Their first version of the song had been written in the Super era. The chorus existed first; the verses came later, inspired by Neil imagining what Mick Jagger might sing if this were a Rolling Stones song. “We actually did the demo with Stuart Price in Hansa,” says Neil, “and suddenly the whole thing was rocking.” “I would never have thought it was going to end up this good,” adds Chris. “We’ve actually written,” Neil concludes, “almost for the first time in our career, a groove song.”

2020 - January
On January 24, a new Pet Shop Boys album, Hotspot, is released. This is the third album made with Stuart Price, one which they had decided some time ago would form some kind of trilogy, if only a loose one. “All three albums sound quite different,” Neil points out. “In that the first one is basically a dance album, the second one is a pop album, and this one…” Chris completes the thought: “I would say it’s a transitioning album. It has elements of the previous, but then it’s moving towards where we might be going next.” There is a sense in which they consider this a Berlin album – an initial ten-day recording session took place in Berlin in November 2018 at the legendary Hansa studios, and three of the songs (“Will-o-the-wisp”, “You are the one” and “Wedding in Berlin”) are about, or set in, Berlin. “Being in Hansa had a profound effect,” Neil reflects, “using this old equipment, as well as what we normally use. The album’s got a sound.” “It’s dirtier, isn’t it?” says Chris. “It sounds more analogue,” Neil elaborates. “Because it is, actually.” Nevertheless, recording continued in Los Angeles, where the album was also mixed; that had its own impact: “To mix, we went to the Record Plant where they made a lot of r’n’b and hip hop and contemporary pop records, and that had an influence on the sound as well.” Initially, Neil and Chris thought of giving the album a German title – “we wanted a German word that everyone knew in English” – but nothing suitable suggested itself. “And one day it occurred to me that Berlin was the hotspot of the Cold War,” says Neil. “Also ‘hotspot’ is an internet thing. And also, when I was a kid, it was an old-fashioned term for a popular club or something where you’d listen to the latest jazz or something. It just floated to the top and stayed there.”
---
Retro. :)

jasonjohn

#355 Post by jasonjohn »

OK I'm confused, where did the 3rd single details come from?

Wish

#356 Post by Wish »

Looks like next Annually draft. Chris Heath laptop was stolen? :)

retrofuturist

#357 Post by retrofuturist »

Greetings,
Wish wrote:
Fri 29 Nov 2019, 7:40 am
Looks like next Annually draft. Chris Heath laptop was stolen? :)
Ha. Maybe, but I doubt it.

Since the above write-up seems to be of interest to people, you may as well also have this entry for Dreamland, which I didn't share initially on account of the fact we've already heard the song plenty of times by now...

-------

2019 - September
On September 11, a new Pet Shop Boys single, “Dreamland”, is released. (A physical version appears the following month.) The first single from a forthcoming Pet Shop Boys’ album, “Dreamland” is a collaboration with singer Olly Alexander from the British band Years & Years who co-wrote, and duets on, the song. When the three of them met up at the Pet Shop Boys’ London studio in early 2017, notionally to write for the next Years & Years album, Olly Alexander mentioned that the previous day he’d been to Dreamland, the seaside-town amusement park in Margate. “And I said,” Neil recalls, “‘oh, that’s a great title for a song’.” Chris had already written a backing track. “We sort of vibed out: ‘I heard there’s a dreamland…’,” says Neil. “We were in the middle of the refugee crisis when we wrote this. It’s a kind of amnesia / where all problems seem to disappear / and you don’t need a visa / you can come and go and still be here. I love that line, because it’s completely meaningless – you can come and go and still be here – but I sort of know what it means.” “I remember taking the demo back after we’d done it and dancing around the kitchen,” says Chris, “thinking ‘God, what a great song this is – the sort of music I like!’”

--------

Ghost within this house

#358 Post by Ghost within this house »

“Where we might be going next...”

Nickname might be crassly wrong on most fronts, but maybe there is mileage in the idea of another album soonish after this one...
Firing verbal shots.......like a Tommy Gun

leesmapman

#359 Post by leesmapman »

Now I want the new Annually

Sent from my SM-J410F using Tapatalk

retrofuturist

#360 Post by retrofuturist »

Greetings,
Ghost within this house wrote:
Fri 29 Nov 2019, 8:56 am
“Where we might be going next...”

Nickname might be crassly wrong on most fronts, but maybe there is mileage in the idea of another album soonish after this one...
Whether soon or not, it's nice to know that the end of the trilogy is unlikely to herald the end of Pet Shop Boys... which is something that appeared possible, if not probable, after they announced a "greatest hits" tour.