Copyright issue or not?

For general discussion of Pet Shop Boys topics.
CasInTas

Copyright issue or not?

#1 Post by CasInTas » Wed 27 Jun 2018, 3:43 am

Hi all, I'm obviously new and will post a proper intro soon...and am so bummed to see someone has already found the "He came to look at my synthesizer" interview :wink: I know (Ian) Molly Meldrum who was interviewing them, I plan to ask how the heck he missed what was the best part of the interview!

I wanted to ask about this first though as it's been bugging me, it's something I often see with a friend of mine who has an incredibly popular song (many think the PSB did it funnily enough) so now and then there have been copyright issues when the song is used without permission, it just means it sticks in my mind as I've seen what an issue it can be.

Apologies if anyone has already addressed this, nothing has come up but then I'm new to the forum so may not have searched properly.
My youngest daughter is a huge Five Nights At Freddy's fan so I often hear the various songs made for the game. This one was done a year ago and was huge (I'm thinking someone else must have picked it up?) but has anyone heard "Join Us For A Bite" by JT Machina, now named JT Music?
It's My Funny Uncle. Completely. Even my husband (who isn't a PSB fan) straight up said after listening to both that it goes way beyond sampling, it's nearly the full song.

I've looked in the usual places and everything states it's an original song written and performed by JT Machina aka JT Music, there's nothing mentioning the PSB at all. I wasn't sure though on what sort of copyright My Funny Uncle had as I of course know some songs by artists can be used without direct permission, but I wouldn't have thought My Funny Uncle would be one?

Any thoughts? Is it or isn't it a copyright issue? I didn't know if I could link it but just search the name on Youtube, it should be the first result.
"You looked right into those blues eyes and knew....It was love"

geowayne

Re: Copyright issue or not?

#2 Post by geowayne » Thu 28 Jun 2018, 1:35 am

I can certainly hear the melodic similarities between the two songs -- extremely close, to be sure. But I strongly suspect they're just different enough to avoid a successful copyright infringement suit. The JT Music track makes a few crucial melodic step- and chord-progression deviations from "Your Funny Uncle."

I'm no expert, but I believe that if Neil and Chris (and/or their publishing company) were to file a lawsuit, they would lose the case. I doubt seriously they would even attempt it.

To put it another way, I think "Join Us for a Bite" is different from "Your Funny Uncle" in much the same way as "It's a Sin" is different from "Wild World" -- very similar, but not copyright infringement. Most if not all of us know how that turned out.

leesmapman

#3 Post by leesmapman » Thu 28 Jun 2018, 6:13 pm

They sing "What have we done to deserve this.." somewhere in the song :-D

Luke Colorado

#4 Post by Luke Colorado » Thu 28 Jun 2018, 6:38 pm

CasInTas wrote:
Wed 27 Jun 2018, 3:43 am
Hi all, I'm obviously new and will post a proper intro soon...and am so bummed to see someone has already found the "He came to look at my synthesizer" interview :wink: I know (Ian) Molly Meldrum who was interviewing them, I plan to ask how the heck he missed what was the best part of the interview!
There's no way he could have addressed this in 1986. *Maybe* someone like Graham Norton in 2018 could have called Chris on it, but he would of surly brushed it off. Great interview tho.
I sincerely *love* Disco 2 and listen to it straight through regularly.

Hillbilly

#5 Post by Hillbilly » Tue 03 Jul 2018, 12:27 pm

I just had a listen to the song. Not enough similarity in my opinion. Very different in style too. Fact is I wouldn't even had noticed if someone hadn't mentioned it.

jasonjohn

#6 Post by jasonjohn » Wed 04 Jul 2018, 8:47 am

I can hear the similarities, but maybe not close enough to earn them a lawsuit.

More to the point.... WHAT THE HELL IS THAT GAME?!?! Please tell me your youngest daughter is old enough for that stuff.... like, 32.

And I thought clowns were scary!

nekko

#7 Post by nekko » Wed 04 Jul 2018, 7:24 pm

I must admit I had to come across a piano cover to hear similarities :

And yes, how old is your daughter ? :shock: :wink: