This is breaking my heart

For general discussion of Pet Shop Boys topics.
Seanyboy

This is breaking my heart

#1 Post by Seanyboy »

I’m moving to Portugal in a few weeks and obviously can’t take everything with me.

Have started turning out the boxes in the loft and have found some early PSB videos which need to be thrown out.

I treasured these so much back in the day. It’s going to be So Hard to chuck them in the bin.
Attachments
image.jpg
image.jpg (2.82 MiB) Viewed 5180 times

ChoonHound

Re: This is breaking my heart

#2 Post by ChoonHound »

Why would you throw them out? At least give them to a fan.
I sincerely *love* Disco 2 and listen to it straight through regularly.

gehegu

#3 Post by gehegu »

Give them a second or third or...life mate! If you can’t keep them, make someone else happy, I guess there will be many petheads interested. Btw, you’re moving to a gorgeous country, enjoy your stay !

le petit corbusier

#4 Post by le petit corbusier »

Man, sell it on eBay!

Enviado desde mi Redmi Note 3 mediante Tapatalk

Look left, then right
And run for your life

Seanyboy

#5 Post by Seanyboy »

I don’t think there’s a life for VHS on eBay!

Would be happy to give them to a Pethead.

I’m also throwing away hundreds of Star Trek TNG DS9 and Voyager VHS. it cost me thousands to get but...

joe stalin

#6 Post by joe stalin »

I’ve pm’d you. ;-)

Drico One

#7 Post by Drico One »

I had those videos as well, but other than the sentimental value, most have been superseded by DVD. I don't really see the point of Television, Showbusiness, Promotion, or Various in a world of PopArt.

I am pleased that Performance made it to DVD. Highlights was a pretty poor value video - as indeed were the others, with their paltry six tracks or so - so Performance and PopArt - along with the essential Ultimate DVD (those BBC performances are gold) - probably meet my visual needs. Cubism, A Life in Pop, and Pandemonium are all nice-to-haves rather than essential in my book. Montage was a mess. Somewhere was mediocre.

No, Performance, PopArt, and Ultimate do it for me. Peak PSB. I don't think I'm arsed about the forthcoming - allegedly - Super DVD or Bluray. The modern shows are best seen live, enjoyed, and then forgotten about until they revisit your city six months later. Performance was truly once in a lifetime, so the recording has evocative impact.

Drico.
The pale kid that hides in the attic behind his PC...

retrofuturist

#8 Post by retrofuturist »

I agree with Drico, although I'd find it hard not to have at least one of either Pandemonium or Cubism. I'm not too bothered which, but I think they're both great representations of late-era live Pet Shop Boys, a phase which isn't touched upon by the other essentials.
"Politics are too emotional now. Contemporary culture generally is too emotional, really... I'd rather people looked to the truth." (Neil Tennant)

oakey

#9 Post by oakey »

Tried to sell several music VHS releases (Pet Shop Boys, New Order, Bowie, Suede) in vain years ago on eBay. Really, nobody is interested. I believe I have DiscoVery, Highlights, Somewhere, and Promotion or one of the other video albums. They're in my attic, you can pm me if you're interested. But keep in mind the shipping cost alone will be €15 or more... I'm based in the Netherlands, so they're all PAL.

Bulldog

#10 Post by Bulldog »

Can't you convert them to DVD or digital and keep the artwork paper?

tottenhammattspurs

#11 Post by tottenhammattspurs »

"Television" is quite unique in the fact that it has the little TV appearances in between each video that haven't been available elsewhere. Highlight's in unavailable on dvd along with Projections, and probably always will be. It Couldn't Happen Here is STILL only available on VHS! There are places/people that can digitise VHS tapes. I've had Projections, Highlights and ICHH all transferred to DVD about ten years ago.
is is and isnt isnt

trafaelwyr

#12 Post by trafaelwyr »

tottenhammattspurs wrote: Mon 09 Apr 2018, 1:43 pm It Couldn't Happen Here is STILL only available on VHS!
It was also released on LaserDisc in the U.S. and Japan.

oakey

#13 Post by oakey »

No need to convert them, they’re all on Youtube in better quality and sound than VHS (Laserdisc transfers).

Niall

#14 Post by Niall »

Drico One wrote: Sun 08 Apr 2018, 8:25 pm I had those videos as well, but other than the sentimental value, most have been superseded by DVD. I don't really see the point of Television, Showbusiness, Promotion, or Various in a world of PopArt.

I am pleased that Performance made it to DVD. Highlights was a pretty poor value video - as indeed were the others, with their paltry six tracks or so - so Performance and PopArt - along with the essential Ultimate DVD (those BBC performances are gold) - probably meet my visual needs. Cubism, A Life in Pop, and Pandemonium are all nice-to-haves rather than essential in my book. Montage was a mess. Somewhere was mediocre.

No, Performance, PopArt, and Ultimate do it for me. Peak PSB. I don't think I'm arsed about the forthcoming - allegedly - Super DVD or Bluray. The modern shows are best seen live, enjoyed, and then forgotten about until they revisit your city six months later. Performance was truly once in a lifetime, so the recording has evocative impact.

Drico.
Six months later? ;-)
More than 23 years and counting for Perth.
Evertonians are born not manufactured.
We do not choose; we are chosen.
Those who understand need no explanation.
Those that don't understand don't matter.

York Minster

#15 Post by York Minster »

Random thoughts on all this:

Highlights: I never had it, and maybe it's only on VHS, but it's only 8 tracks. I long ago burned a DVD of the full show, so what's the point?

Projections: Might be worth having on VHS, and I have it but haven't watched it for over a decade and don't miss it. There is only one projection really worth watching, and that is King's Cross. Which is probably on youtube somewhere.

Television: Not worth bothering now that those tiny snippets are on youtube. Completest only.

Performance: As Drico says, it's the masterwork. Must have on DVD.

Various/Promotion/Showbusiness: PopArt makes these obsolete.

It Couldn't Happen Here: I bought this on LaserDisc in the past plus a laserdisc player just to watch it. I was very disappointed that the speed was messed up and I refused to ever watch it again, and I sold both. If the VHS looks and sounds good, that's a definite keeper, unless they put it out on DVD.

Somewhere: Really boring. Their least essential DVD. Goes to show they need the lasers and dancers.

Montage: I know people complain about the production on this, but I like it a lot. Essential for me. They did great mixes of some of the tracks on that tour.

Cubism: For me, better than the show. It's not super exciting, but it sounds great. I was in the front row for the show, maybe it all looks better from different angles with better mixing.

Performance: This was A+ level PSB live, but for some reason I just don't find it as compelling on DVD. Still essential though.

Ultimate: While it's great to have all the TTOP in one place, I don't really enjoy watching Neil mime to the music. I rarely if ever watch it.

A Life in Pop: I agree with Drico, good to have, but I rarely watch it.

Is there a Super DVD coming? Ehh...Would have rather had the Electric tour. I thought they had given up on DVD's.
And tryin' to figure out what happened to 'Germaine Propaine'
"He couldn't have fell off that hard" Ain't no way
"What happened to the way you was rappin' when you was scandalous
That Canibus turned into a television evangelist"
Plus he raps with his regular voice [BOOSH! BOOSH!]
[BOOSH! BOOSH!] (What was that?) Pet Shop Boys