In slow motion

For general discussion of Pet Shop Boys topics.
Zog

Re: In slow motion

#31 Post by Zog »

Tom Angel wrote: Fri 06 Oct 2017, 6:10 pm I agree re Dancing in the Dusk, Reunion, and One-Way Street. Excellent songs.

One-Way Street works particularly well alongside Girls don't cry

It's a bloody crime (when you look the way you do) that songs like Slow Motion don't make it onto what is a sublime album (Elysium) when Winner and Hold On do)
It will be interesting to see what the PSB says about “In Slow Motion”. Especially why it was not used.

-Zog
New Stuff
*** “Back-Track” - Retro Funk Mix (MAS 2018)
https://soundcloud.com/martin-ashwoodsm ... k-mix-2018
*** “Cydonia” - Techno Mix (MAS 2018)
https://soundcloud.com/martin-ashwoodsm ... x-mas-2018

Drico One

#32 Post by Drico One »

Zog wrote: Fri 06 Oct 2017, 6:40 pm
Tom Angel wrote: Fri 06 Oct 2017, 6:10 pm I agree re Dancing in the Dusk, Reunion, and One-Way Street. Excellent songs.

One-Way Street works particularly well alongside Girls don't cry

It's a bloody crime (when you look the way you do) that songs like Slow Motion don't make it onto what is a sublime album (Elysium) when Winner and Hold On do)
It will be interesting to see what the PSB says about “In Slow Motion”. Especially why it was not used.

-Zog
They'll say Chris didn't like it. He's got loads to answer for, has Chris.

Drico.
The pale kid that hides in the attic behind his PC...

Tom Angel

#33 Post by Tom Angel »

I know!! Chris has vetoed some of their best tracks - and Hold on is entirely his doing.

(not that we can get too angry, as he was also responsible for about 300 other great songs that did make it! )

How many songs have they even written now?
in suits or sequins/or twin sets and pearls

y3potential

#34 Post by y3potential »

When the next set of Further Listening's are released shortly we can then all compile our own 'Elysium' or whichever album sequence we so desire.. No..?? 8)
There is beauty in ugliness and ugliness in beauty.

jules

#35 Post by jules »

So far, in slow motion is my favorite demo out of the new fl releases. Imagine the great album they could have done by finishing and packing these songs together.

Zog

#36 Post by Zog »

jules wrote: Sun 08 Oct 2017, 1:50 pm So far, in slow motion is my favorite demo out of the new fl releases. Imagine the great album they could have done by finishing and packing these songs together.
I agree. I was thinking that the other day. Actually, that might make an interesting forum question:

- Select some of the “new” tracks, and create a fantasy PSB album.

- Mimimum of 10 tracks, and a maximum of 12.

- Arrange those tracks into a good order, with a what you think might be the best album opener, etc.

- Rinse, and repeat.

- Ignore the above attempt at humour.

-Zog
New Stuff
*** “Back-Track” - Retro Funk Mix (MAS 2018)
https://soundcloud.com/martin-ashwoodsm ... k-mix-2018
*** “Cydonia” - Techno Mix (MAS 2018)
https://soundcloud.com/martin-ashwoodsm ... x-mas-2018

jasonjohn

#37 Post by jasonjohn »

Love Hold On.

This track is good, but I wouldn't replace Hold On. Add it as an extra track, but I quite like it buried as extra material too.

rashomon

#38 Post by rashomon »

Wonderful track. This is my favourite PSB 'flavour' ... moody, melancholy .... MORE of this please!
you could say conventional ... and I could claim intentional

chrissyboy

#39 Post by chrissyboy »

So, they choose Your Early Stuff, Ego Music and Hold On over this. You could not not make it up. Do they pick songs out of a hat for an album?

Bulldog

#40 Post by Bulldog »

Admittedly they aren't that good at compiling album setlists, but I don't know if ISM would have suited Elysium. That album had a skeletal sound, and even at a demo stage the song sounds too "beefy" for that, just as "A face like that" sounds out of place on the record.

Beefy, Pet Shop Boys. :mrgreen:
Last edited by Bulldog on Wed 11 Oct 2017, 9:00 am, edited 1 time in total.

daveid

#41 Post by daveid »

chrissyboy wrote: Wed 11 Oct 2017, 8:27 am So, they choose Your Early Stuff, Ego Music and Hold On over this. You could not not make it up. Do they pick songs out of a hat for an album?
I'm really bored with people dissing the above three songs. They're excellent, particularly Hold on and Your early stuff. Can someone please explain what is wrong with them? They're melodic, witty, sincere, heartfelt.

Nervously

#42 Post by Nervously »

daveid wrote: Wed 11 Oct 2017, 8:57 am
chrissyboy wrote: Wed 11 Oct 2017, 8:27 am So, they choose Your Early Stuff, Ego Music and Hold On over this. You could not not make it up. Do they pick songs out of a hat for an album?
I'm really bored with people dissing the above three songs. They're excellent, particularly Hold on and Your early stuff. Can someone please explain what is wrong with them? They're melodic, witty, sincere, heartfelt.
Hear, hear. Your early stuff is one of my favourites on the album. Some people seem to really hate humour in lyrics whereas I love it.

As regards Zog's challenge, I was already planning to do that, minus the 12 song maximum length stipulation.

chrissyboy

#43 Post by chrissyboy »

It's subjective isn't it. I simply can't stand Ego Music or Hold On. I don't find the former witty, I find it irritating, nor do I find the latter sincere or heartfelt, just awkward and cloying. Whereas I think In Slow Motion is lyrically interesting and musically gorgeous. Mind you, I'm a big fan of Winner and I would take Fundamental over Electric or Super any day, so I am very much in the minority around here!

jasonjohn

#44 Post by jasonjohn »

Nothing wrong with those tracks. People seems to want a thematically brooding album. They've never done this, though. The closest they've come is maybe Fundamental and Behaviour, but they still mix it up enormously. I doubt they'd ever release an album that was monotone.

Do like Slow Motion, though.

I have a theory that they limit the number of miserable "declarations of how I feel about life" songs on an album.... they seem to write them easily..... Probably why Always fell to the side, as good as it was.

glennjridge

#45 Post by glennjridge »

I totally wish a study could have been done. I suspect had these little demos made it to the final recordings and the songs that actually did had been reversed, alot of you would be saying the same thing about these tracks....ie I cant believe they put "in slow motion" on and left off "face like that". personally save for "Ring road" I think the majority of the songs show exactly why they werent selected.